I did it

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
I broke down and bought C&C:Renegade. First gripe: it comes in that console-sized box. I liked the standard size as it was. Ok, now I'm gonna open it....WHERE THE FUCK IS THE MANUAL!? Oh wait, there it is. One of those lame ones that fits into the jewel case, a whopping 29 pages cover to cover. Gee. The gameplay better be worth the $60 this cost me...

Hmm in hindsight perhaps my post icon should've been :tdown:

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
I haven't played any RTS games in forever. Let us know what you think Gryph.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
RTS? C&C:Renegade is a first person shooter. What rock have YOU been hiding under?

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by Gryphon
RTS? C&C:Renegade is a first person shooter. What rock have YOU been hiding under?

:p

Remember that post I made about playing nothing but Inf? I was serious.

I just read a C&C:Renegade review. Okay, so let us know how well your FPS plays Gryphon.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
I'm having great fun with it :tup:. I want to know how many missions there are though...some of them seem kind of long, and I'm hoping that because of that there aren't only like 6 mission or something.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
When I first saw the manual, I was dissappointed as well, but after seeing the kind of contents Westwood stuff into the manual, it's no biggee. Manuals had never been that impt to me anyway.
Gyphon, make sure you get the latest patch for the game. Some players mentioned fps gained in MP after installation. (not me though, fps remains the same)

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
A new patch was just release.

COMMAND & CONQUER RENEGADE(tm)

Copyright 2002 Electronic Arts Inc. All rights reserved.

Westwood Studios(tm) is an Electronic Arts(tm) brand.

PATCH INFORMATION - March 2002

For the latest news and updates please visit our website at:

http://westwood.ea.com/games/ccuniverse/renegade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 1.015 changes (03-01-2002)

==================================

Multiplayer

- Minor updates to firewall negotiation queuing. This was preventing players

joining games in some situations (usually when many players were trying

to join at once, or when many players hit the abort button on this dialog).

- Minor updates to low-level packet handling which were causing server

instability when unexpected traffic appeared on the game port.

- LAN hosting is now allowed on routable IP addresses.

- Cosmetic fix to game list control which was displaying multiple

selected games when the list was refreshed in some cases.

Version 1.014 changes (02-28-2002)

==================================

New Key Assignment

- "Q" assigned to "Vehicle Gunner" toggle. This key adds the ability for each

user to set whether or not they allow someone else to be the gunner of

their vehicle. For this new key configuration setting to work you must

erase the CONFIG directory under the DATA directory and restart the game.

Single Player

- REMINDER!!! The <F6> function key is assigned to the Quicksave function.

- Bug: Fixed where you could delete level files from the load game menu.

Multiplayer

- Multiplayer balance tweaking.

- Improved Obelisk targeting.

- Added GAMESPY support.

- Added new "version mismatch error" display when trying to join a game

server with a different version via GAMESPY.

- Bug: Fixed the price of a <Beacon> being doubled in certain circumstances.

The price will never be doubled.

- Bug: Fixed the first person hands of a non-stealth soldier appearing to

be stealthed under certain circumstances.

- Bug: Fixed cost doubling not reflected properly when power plant is

destroyed, after quitting and restarting a game.

- Bug: Fixed the case where being shot while crouching and placing a beacon

would stop you from re-spawning.

- Bug: Fixed bug which allowed manipulating the hosting options to generate

illegal combinations.

- Bug: Fixed the situation where you destroy the airstrip while a vehicle

is being delivered and the vehicle would be invisible.

- Additional minor bug fixes.

- Clan rankings are updated for buddies when "Refresh" is clicked.

- Various additional <Clan and Ladder> modifications and bug fixes.

- Various <Chat> modifications and bug fixes.

- Various <Dedicated Server> modifications and bug fixes.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
unfortunatly those new console styled cases are supposed to be the standard now. retailers like'm cause now they can pack more copies in the same space, and enviromentalists like'm cause there is less trash.

but they better not do that with any Sim, or complicated game. As i've said before.. i can within an inch of buying "sub command" till i learned the 1000 page manual was only on the disc. No manual = no purchase.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
You don't need a manual for this.

oh and anyone with FPS problems, get a tweaker for your card and turn of W-buffering, I went from slideshow with graphics turned all the way down, to smooth with all of em turned up

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Okay I played it for a few hours last night. Yeah, the missions are long. But not in the way you'd think. You start off with a single objective: rescue the scientists. Then you drop into the map, and all of the sudden you've got 500 secondary objectives with every goddamn step you take! Rescue the clergy, clear out the ski resort, eliminate the SAM sites, destroy the power plant so you can take out the obelisk, yadda yadda ad infinitum. I'd be much happier if they broke all those down into more short missions because when you're running around down there it feels like it's turning into the Neverending Story. And yes, the AI really IS dumb as dirt. The helicopters always hover in the same spot dropping reinforcements, so a single slightly-aimed rocket or cannon shot will blast them out of the sky.

The cutscenes are really cool though. The animation is top-notch, the characters behave very lifelike. It wouldn't surprise me if they had people act these out first and they used them as exact models for the character animations (it looks that good). One part that tickled me pink was when Havoc steals a hovercraft and Locke tells his commander to launch the remaining support; camera then pans to her display screen and shows the original C&C playing with the hovercraft bringing in troops! That brought back memories. :D

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
By the way, on the third mission where you've gotta rescue the scientists, where the HELL is that fucking green access card??? I've searched the entire Hand of Nod three times and I can't find the goddamn thing. Went into every tower, every bathroom, every nook and cranny. It ain't there. I already blew the place into rubble with the ion cannon but those doors STILL won't open and there's no one left to shoot, and nowhere else to go. WTF!?

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Hmm.....Ack, unfortunately I don't remember the missions off the top of my head so I can't help you there :(

Personally, I think a lot of the cutscenes are low quality. >Really< bad lip synching, and some of the later cutscene's water looks worse than the in-game water. That's not a good thing :) Some of them are nifty though :)

The other thing I hate which I also read about from a reviewer is that some of the missions are timed and it doesn't tell you. In one mission the reviewer saved seconds before the time was over so he had to restart. I had similar happen to me, but I hadn't saved because I had no clue it was timed. So after 20 minutes, suddenly it says I failed the mission :hmm:

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Originally posted by Gryphon
By the way, on the third mission where you've gotta rescue the scientists, where the HELL is that fucking green access card??? I've searched the entire Hand of Nod three times and I can't find the goddamn thing. Went into every tower, every bathroom, every nook and cranny. It ain't there. I already blew the place into rubble with the ion cannon but those doors STILL won't open and there's no one left to shoot, and nowhere else to go. WTF!?

Doors that are locked, or look like they aren't? If it's an elevator, just was for a few seconds. I'm not there yet, took a rocket to the head and still on that level with the power plant and obelisk. Very fun. Well worth the money spent. I only wish you could bind that damn ctrl key! :mad:

agent

<span id=spObj style="FILTER:Glow(color=#5D025E);w
Oct 20, 2001
Visit site
tank dancing (tank equivalent of bunnyhopping):

take a light/medium tank. have the enemy face your flank at a med-long range and go forward then backwards and so forth while shooting. with all the lag and 10km/h projectiles it's unlikely anyone will hit you (at med-long ranges).