Making the most rediculous map...a collaborative effort!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I thought I'd start something interesting. How about we collaborate and try to make the most rediculous map?

Here's how I thought it would work:

1. Make a post on this thread of your intention to make the next version. This is to avoid "edit collisions."
  2. Take the last map posted in this thread.
  3. Add, change, or remove stuff--as much as you want--to make it more rediculous! (Pretty much, do anything except make a whole new rediculous map from scratch.)
  4. The map should not have any "real" errors in it such as BSP holes, HOM (hall of mirrors), etc., but other poor mapping artifacts such as "misalignments, flow killers, flaws, weird things" are ok.
  5. Add your name to the Author field in the Level Properties. (Eventually we'll have to start using the Description field once many people start participating.) Change the filename so it's possible for people to have multiple versions at once.
  6. Post download links to your rediculous map.
  7. The next person who decides to take part repeats these steps on your map!

Before long, we will have a pretty rediculous map!

So, to get things started, here's a very simplistic rediculous map: DM-1on1-lololol. Remember, add, change, or remove anything! This doesn't have to stay 1v1, or even deathmatch. Feel free to go wild! :D

Download: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~npena/DM-1on1-lololol.zip

Things to try with my version:
Spectate a botmatch of 12 bots. For even more fun, use the Gibalicious ][ mutator, and set it to always gib with a multiplier of 10 or higher :D

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'll be in on this for sure once I get past these last two projects. This could end up being the best map ever created!

We should make a rule though... The map needs to stay well-optimized and free of BSP holes, HOMs, and all that other erroneous crap. The map should be insane[ly awesome], not full of bugs.

Also, putting names in the author field might get a bit out of hand. Might be better to put an author list in the map description, each name followed by a | to go to a newline.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Turns2Ashes said:
The map needs to stay well-optimized and free of BSP holes, HOMs, and all that other erroneous crap. The map should be insane[ly awesome], not full of bugs.
Yeah, sounds like a good rule. It should be a proper map that actually works and can be played.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Olga said:
... therhthehtert
Did you add anything, Olga? If so, tell us. I downloaded from your link, but couldn't see your name on the list...or what you've changed...or an altered name, for that matter :hmm:

Anyway...I added "some spawnpoints" ;)

download v2

EDIT: just to be clear...the map is not allowed to have real errors in it, but should otherwise contain as much misalignments, flow killers, flaws, weird things, ... as possible, right? (that's what I consider 'rediculous').

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
That reminds me...if you're gonna change the level, make a post directly before you start the editor; then edit the post when you're done.

This is to avoid having 2 (or more) ppl working on the same map at the same time (Hyru...can you add it to the rules?)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Taleweaver said:
That reminds me...if you're gonna change the level, make a post directly before you start the editor; then edit the post when you're done.

This is to avoid having 2 (or more) ppl working on the same map at the same time (Hyru...can you add it to the rules?)
Yeah, I was thinking about edit collisions... :)

Anyway I've updated the rules at the top to include all things discussed so far.

Shroom-FX

Basshead
Jul 2, 2005
www.okobo.com
Despite the fact i've never played with the map editor before i'll leave my own mark on this whack map :D

I'll get reading some stuff so I don't create the mother of all destroy computer bugs, which is bound to happen anway :lol:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Minor addition, because it's all I know how to do (and someone already put skaarj in there)...

The funniest thing was watching one bot who happened to survive the fall in the shaft get a wicked sick spree killing the other falling bots with dual assault rifles :lol:

edit: Oops, I hope i haven't edit-collided with T2A.

Attachments

• DM-1on1-lololol-4.rar
    57.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Well, that took longer than expected. :( I did put your change in there, nutt, so no worries.

I dunno if the changes I made to the walls will work with all video cards since I don't know the restrictions on such things. I'm hoping it'll work fine...

Forgot to put my name in there, so hopefully the next person can take all the authors and put them in the map description like "Authors:||hyrulian|Olga|Slainchild|nuttella|Turns2Ashes" etc.

Does anyone know how to change the volume of the sounds on a jump pad? BOOSTA! ;)

Attachments

• DM-1on1-lololol-5.zip
    90.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: