Ya ever wonder....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Ya ever just kinda day dream and somehow end up with an idea that might considered "intresting" to the rest of the population. I mean being a guy, most of my wandering thoughts have to do with things like boobs, or games, but sometimes they think about other stuff.

Like for example, the other day i started to wonder about theortical physics stuff. Being the artistic type person, that i am, i began to think about perspective and dimension, and how our limited perspective in life would prevent us from being able to comprehend the world around us. From our perspective the world apears flat, yet if i were to travel in one direction long enough i'd come back to my point of origin eventually. Then i started to think about the 4th dimension. Time. I began to wonder if time too, was in someway, bent, perhaps circular, orbital, and not simply a straight line. The image of a track and field styled race circuit came to mind, with it's different tracks and starting points and distances. With in reason, we all seem to be aging, or moving through time at the same rate, so it would stand to reason if we were on the race track we'd all be moving at the same pace and in the same lane. The idea of switching lanes became attractive, and i thought a lot about how our physical velocity (such as aproaching the speed of light) could effect "lane changes" on the temproal track. Intresting...

In fact it's even more intresting when we consider a sphere instead of a circle.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Time is all relative to the individual person. For example, one second for one person may not be a second for the next person. It all depends on your activites. For example, objects that travel faster say someone in a plane would age less than someone standing "still" on the ground. This is hard to tell from such a small speed change in a realative manner of speaking. As speed increases time slowes down, seconds are longer etc. For example, if twin brothers were born and one was on a spaceship traveling at near light for say 20 years, when the brother came back to his bro on earth the earth brother will have aged signifcantly more than the one on the spaceship. This has been proved in many studieds. If anyone questions this or wants more info on it, I have information to back it up just dont have it at the exact moment. But im sure a simple search on google will bring up alot. Why this happens, im not sure but thats how science has seemed to grasp it so far.
Time also has alot to do with light. In a way, we are always looking into the past. For instance, the time it takes the light from the sun to get to the earth is about 8 min give or take a few seconds, thats about 93,000,000 miles. We are not seeing the sun at its current state, but 8 minutes into the past. That applyis to everything else we see, no matter how small the time differecne we look into that past. Kinda weid if ya ask me. If a star were to go out that was 500 light years away, we ouldnt find out until the year 2503 because it would take that long for the remaining light to reach us. When we look into the night sky we are literally looking into the past! Hundered and thousands of years into the past.

-- Map

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
well what fasicnated me about the analogy of the object in orbit represnting an individual in time was that it leaves open the posiblity of an temproal escape velocity.

If we play along with the analogy, as someone speeds up and aproaches the speed of light, their position on our imaginary temproal orbit, changes. They apear to be speeding up in the direction of the orbit, and as a result they ascend in orbit, farther and farther out from the imaginary center. With the greater orbital "height", it takes much longer to come full circle, despite the faster speeds. He's slowed his passage down in time. If he slowed down back to our relative speeds his "orbital path" on our imaginary diagram would decend back till he's at the same height as ours.. except. while he was gone, the rest of us would've made many many more laps.

But what if instead he decided to increse his speed? His orbit would contine to grow in distance, farther and farther as he aproached the speed of light.. untill something breaks. Escape velocity. Maybe right at the speed of light. Time as he knew it, would no longer apply. From our point of view, he'd no long exsist, beyond our ability to even sense. He'd be gone, broken free from the orbit, shooting off into... the unknown.

Saladin

Fez Toting Warrior!
Jul 25, 2002
Atlanta, GA, USA
home.attbi.com
wanna **** up your brain for a bit?

4d cubes, look for pics of them they're. when you rotate 3d cubes around to see them at differnt points, you are rotating about an axis, but for a 4d cube, you rotate around a plane, and it looks much more different. My physics teacher programmed something in basic to try to show it, ill see if i can get it on a disk and post it here....you can even use 3d glasses w/ it.