Unreal PSX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Well...I decided not to give up. I mean c'mon. There are console exclsuive stuff being ported to PC versions all over and nobody complained about it. Not only that, but also for example DavidM released his PS2 maps that didn't make it to the PS2 UT port. And nobody had problems with that also.
Or Wieder's maps from Wanton Destruction at 3D Realms. Before the whole Wanton Destruction (a cancelled missionpack for Shadow Warrior) was even found and released for free.

There has been also officially beta versions or alphas versions avaiable for games like Doom Or Daikatana. And again, no problem there was with it.....so what the ****

Really...some people just can't get over with it and try to cancel efforts, I don't talk about the LDs, I talk about the project leads who are disappoitned their project got cancelled and won't get money for it and bureocratic people or just create a general panic.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Any hopes to get Beta version which can work on PSX hardware?

Actually no...that would be even more problematic since it would be a free game giving for download, so what I suggested was if the whole stuff was found is by applying the content on the original Unreal in form of patch, they used special version of 221, before the team ported it on PSX, but the PSX hardware compatibility won't be there.
But even that can't be done as I am being pretty much ignored by the project lead and I'm not trying to contact him anymore, because it is leading nowhere. I got responses from everyone except him.
Sry that I am so bitter in my last posts, but I am beginning to be really tired of it, not only that, but he seems to scare others away, at least that's my impression. I may be wrong however, but that's all.

I hope to get at least some maps from Nathan, at least from Eric Reuter, or James Hamer Morton, since they gave me permission in past to release the levels. But Eric doesn't have the,. so it has to be done through Nathan.

Last edited:

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
I've asked about on a few gaming forums with unreal engine related sections regarding Betas and Unreal on other consoles. Still waiting for replies there....

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
It must be fouuuunnnnddd....

I have heard of other versions of Unreal being leaked in the past, but nothing since 2007...

I wonder about the original RTNP version and why it was scrapped.

If it is found and released we will do something with it, but if not but is still found, I hope EPIC takes its concept for an Unreal 3.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Well not completelly, it is more like a standalone missionpack for the console.
Doom64 was even a less of a port as it had all new textures, sprites, etc.

And the original missionpack was not called return to na pali, I don't know even the real title, it was perhaps untitled, just Unreal level pack or something.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Well not completelly, it is more like a standalone missionpack for the console.
Doom64 was even a less of a port as it had all new textures, sprites, etc.

And the original missionpack was not called return to na pali, I don't know even the real title, it was perhaps untitled, just Unreal level pack or something.

The only real "port" aspect of Doom64 is the engine. Even then a basic scripting system was added to allow more freedom in level design.

Bah, Unreal still plays best on the PC, I never could get these games being ported to consoles. I just don't see the advantage.

Here's why: $$$$$$

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
Wow, just been pointed to this thread. I remember that Yahoogroups group :) Good times.

If you have any questions, I will endeavour to answer them. It seems like there is quite a bit of interest in this. I'm going to use my contacts to find out once and for all about the legality of this.

--
James Hamer-Morton
eVOLVE

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Hey, welcome.

Well I am hoping it can be released after all and that it will. And according to some people even if it wasn't 100 percent legal and would be flagged as unofficial.
I mean there were even some leaked unreal or ut material in past which nobody actually took any legal steps against it. And this is with permissions, unlike these.
I am not going to leak anything without permissions though.

I am just a little bit frustrated lately.

There are threads about this on various other forums as well, some started by discovering this thread and I usually joined in dicussion.

Last edited:

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Wow, just been pointed to this thread. I remember that Yahoogroups group :) Good times.

If you have any questions, I will endeavour to answer them. It seems like there is quite a bit of interest in this. I'm going to use my contacts to find out once and for all about the legality of this.

--
James Hamer-Morton
eVOLVE

Reading this was the exact booster I needed to get me through .NET class today :lol:

I wish you good luck finding out about this all and I hope you get more results than we did :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Actually, I've been wondering about the Jrath DM. Was it really a deathmatch level, or was it a fake deathmatch (as in with new gametype or something) or level for both SP and DM?
Or was it UT idea incorporated into singleplayer and mixed up?
I mean I remember Jason Watkins himself telling me he did a deathmatch boss level that was the most finished level of the levels he was working on. He never talked to me again though, he went looking for the levels, but after I gave him email to Nick Pelling, he didn't talk again, so I am wondering what's going on. I ocassionaly send him email and ask, but nothing's happening.

Also Eric Reuter said he will try to talk to Nathan about it, when I asked...

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
The Jrath DM level was meant to be... hmm, now I'm trying to remember... I think it took place inside a computer... or inside someone's mind. No wait, I think it was inside the player's head. There were a few AIs that needed to be 'collected' or something, and when you reached them you'd have to put them inside your mind to tame them or something, and that would be a deathmatch setting where you'd have to defeat them to proceed. Maybe that's wrong, but that's how I remember it. If I find the design doc I'd be able to clear that up... it has been years and years though of course ;)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Maybe it follows right after Matthew Kagle's levels? The E2L7 levels are generally void like, or really dreamy and in the end you reach this eye inside the ancient ship.
OK, the design docs would be really helpful there, thx.
I wonder if the JRath bot had new model or something.
It is interesting if this J'rath had to do something with the original J'Rath concept that many know from original Unreal leaked PR beta, there was a skaarj cryptic temple level made by Cliff Bleszinski (it takes place where RtNP had entrance to Nagomi passage, but this time there was a whole new level) and they had J'rath posing as some kind of god and there is this huge skaarj cryptic image in crypt2.utx. I wonder if this new J'rath aside from name had something to do with the old one.
Who wrote the storyline in Unreal PSX?

The original messages in the level by Cliff Bleszinski were of this content (and he seems to be linked with Skaarj unlike in Unreal PSX it seems, but they might have just absorbed it as their own religion or something):
Skaarj Temple of Jrath

Jrath shall wipe the galaxy clean of the weak. The meek shall inherit nothing but pain, for Skaarj might shall triumph.
From the ashes of captivity, One shall rise up to test the might of the Skaarj.
Faith in Jrath will prove that paths exist where they cannot be seen.

This is the texture that seemed to be resembling him:
ctruclr1.jpg

EDIT:
I am wondering if the original 221 PSX build can be recovered and released as a patch or addon with different ini and different paths, if not, I would like to at least take a look at it, or promise not to release it (maybe even sign something to ensure that) in the original form, so I can convert it as closely as possible, if that would be the "deal".
I mean there were some great changes in the code, I already noticed it while trying to convert the camera script to work with normal version.
And this Deathmatch system, it would be impossible in original Unreal to incorporate, because deathmatch depends on player settings and defaulty it has no scorelimit either. So this really leaves it at that.
And if indeed you had the ability to posses monsters with the new gun, that's another thing and if the quadshot worked there. So the install addon would be required. I would know how to make it work like that with some installer or something. It would simply extract the maps and system files into new subdirectories and the paths in the new ini would take care of that. I suppose it had own entry.unr and unreal.unr too, or how the episode selection system worked. With the new paths there would be no conflicts with the existing Unreal files.

Last edited:

HL1986

Jan 9, 2010
Well good luck to find out more.
I really hope that there is possibility to release it on both formats (as patch and as an beta to PSX enthusiasists)
But nonethless I kinda liked Unreal games with single player better than mulitplayer ones (I played first Unreal Tournament from multiplayer one the most. Last fight on spaceship was hard as hell). I am not against Multiplayer but I am not really on Online gaming even if I had some time with it. Tournament games had Single Player but not as the same as previously.

But as for PSX Unreal I would even pay to get the beta but good luck on digging. This sounds heavenly promising.

P.S. What if 221 PSX beta is recovered is there something against selling it if releasing isn't possible? I mean to someone who is absolutely not interested in dumping but to his own private collection.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I am not sure if the coding for the PSX itself is still avaiable (aside the modified PC version), it was done in the studio back in UK, in Pterodactyl.
And I dunno who was the team responsible for porting the coding anyway.
Nick Pelling might know, but that's all I guess.

Still it is imporbable it would get released in state it was meant to be in PSX and it would be indeed less stable as well I figure and not looking so good, maybe with framerate problems here and there. But the maps were optimised for it, sadly though, if they were not optimised and put back into full scale they would be even better. I mean some complex brushes had to be removed due to polygon limits or only one cryo pod was allowed in that room in the screenshot at Nathan Silver's site.

Btw eVOLVE, who pointed you to the thread? Mister Prophet, Matthew Kagle or someone else? I think I mentioned it briefly to you there was a topic about it once.

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
I have the code for running it all on the PC, on my PC back in the UK, I think, but I have none of the stuff for the PSX build. Don't expect getting that running on a PS1 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.