Samuri Jack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Buddy_Pickle

Fffeeerrrtt!!!
Jan 30, 2000
West Jordan Utah
www.myextralife.com
Anyone else see this thing on the Cartoon Network? I freaking LOVE it! Incredible sense of style and sound....really great stuff. Its the first show in years that I feel compeled to be there every Monday night for. (The premeir was Friday I think, and they replayed the movie tonight.) Simply great stuff.

(I am looking at you Kareechy.)

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
I saw that playing on that station when watching the preview channel but had no idea what it was.

I think I watched the outer limits instead :p

I'll have to check it out.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Cartoon network, eh? So I guess any day now your daughter will be surpassing you in maturity?... Just wait a year, she'll be putting her face in her hands and shaking her head in disgust whenever you say something too stupid in front of anyone that isn't immediate family. ;)

Just messin' wit'ya, BP... I guess I'll check that out. :D I just read the description on my digital cable menu; it said he was "banished to the future"... sounds... crazy.

Buddy_Pickle

Fffeeerrrtt!!!
Jan 30, 2000
West Jordan Utah
www.myextralife.com
Sorry to admit it, but some of the only quality TV on these days resides on the Cartoon Network. Hell, the only network TV I watch anymore includes the Simpsons, Futurama, Law & Order, and Sienfeld re-runs. (Note that two of the four are animated.)

The truth is, our country traditionally sucks at recognizing animation for what it really is: a great creative medium, that has the potential to exceed live action in terms of imagination and story telling power. But we live in a place where every Disney movie is about a orphan girl/boy, with sidekick animals that sing and give advice.

Thank goodness for such influences as video games and Anime, as they are slowly picking away at the core american hangups we have with animation as a whole. Samuri Jack is a HUGE step in the right direction.

It reminds me of what things were like in 93. I had seen both "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" from Jon Woo before he left Hong Kong. He comes to the US, and makes "Hard Target", the first real mainstream look at Hong Kong action magic in this nation. People all around me are complaining about all the slow motion and choreographed gun fights...I am loving it, while everyone else in the room is blowing it off as to extreme. Well guess what? After a couple more years of Woo films, a ton of homage work coming from hits like the Matrix, Tarrentino movies, and every other action movie these days...its now an acceptable style of movie making. (Or even beloved if you will.)

Besides, my kids have grown up with a cartoonist father...They don't expect me to change anytime soon.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
yo, i agree with BP, man... the cartoon network ain't just fer kids... i was interested in samurai jack coz of the director/creator, genndy tartakovsky... same guy that did the powerpuff girls (don't laugh, i like them) and dexter's lab... i swear, the guy knows his stuff... it's amazing the amount of classic and modern cinematic techniques he uses in those cartoons, especially dexter's lab... it's got the lowbrow humor for the kids, and the underlying stuff for the older folk... love his stuff...

so back to samurai jack... it rocked... seriously rocked... like BP said, the style was amazing, and everything was just done so well... the "camera"work, the shot angles, the framing, the selective use of "graphic novel"-type panelling... awesome... and the music was just something else... wicked stuff... you have to get used to the visual style though... the thing about genndy tartakovsky is that he uses extremely stylized characters, etc... i mean, look at dexter's lab and the powerpuff girls... i honestly have to say i like it, though... the stylization was very cool, and i thought the way he grew up to be a man was very nicely executed (watch it and you'll see what i mean)...

anyways, very polished, very stylish, and just plain cool...
:)

[edit] lifesbane, i noticed you mentioned ren & stimpy... that's what i like about the cartoon network... most of the original series they put out are like r&s, in taht they appeal to both young and old coz of the many many underlying layers of humor and whatnot... [/edit]

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
I have to say, Samuri is the best action show I've seen in a good 2 years.

Just looking at the artwork, and hearing the music is worth me sitting my ass infront of the TV every Monday night. The show just plain has style.

I hope this is a sign of a new direction in American animation.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
eghhh American Animation (trying to copy the Japs). The show is ok, i must say it IS a big leap from the days of Captain Planet (that dood rocks). I hate that Anime on Cartoon Network, i can't stand dubbed movies, they have to speak japanesse, and it has to have subtitles. Pokemon is the bane of my existance! Im sorry but a pocket monster sounds like a dick to me!

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
Here's a bit of trivia:

Did you know that <b>NIMH</b> in <em>Secret of NIMH</em> stands for National Institute of Mental Health...it makes sense when you watch the movie.

BTW, I would just like to say that the final launch sequence in Wings of Honneamise is some of the most kickass animation I've seen.

Wings of Honneamise is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time.

What time does Samurai Jack come one? Pacific Standard Time or Greenwhich Mean Time.

phatcat, I have seen the uncut, uncensored version of Kite. It's definantly NOT something you would want to post on the forums with children under 16. I'm serious, some of that stuff was seriously disturbing, and not in a good way...

Buddy_Pickle

Fffeeerrrtt!!!
Jan 30, 2000
West Jordan Utah
www.myextralife.com
One point I want to make. What's wrong with americans adopting a trend or style from Japan? Hell, they do it all the time with us! The point is, if something is good, and others are infulenced by it, and incorporate it with their own stuff, then you end up with a richer, more diverse, and overall higher quality result.

Anything else seems a bit sepratist to me.

Originally posted by Buddy_Pickle
One point I want to make. What's wrong with americans adopting a trend or style from Japan? Hell, they do it all the time with us! The point is, if something is good, and others are infulenced by it, and incorporate it with their own stuff, then you end up with a richer, more diverse, and overall higher quality result.

one's love for animation should be without bounds :D

but as for US animation only Don Bluth was the only animator that appealed to me. it polished, the characters are filled with emotion, and the plotline suits adults and children. :) Disney never did much for me :hmm:

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Originally posted by Buddy_Pickle

I agree with BP.
Not to mention the fact that they've taken a lot of stuff too. The biggest one IMO was the entire humanoid robot genre. Starship Troopers kicked that whole genre off and he never gets any credit for it.