CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Levels? Wow, I thought it was a game of skill. If I wanted a RPG then I'd get a 100% rpg built game like Fallout, not Fallout 3, dammit Beth. I couldn't decide whether to get this game or not for a long time but now you've just unsealed the deal. Btw what the hell is no run? Can you seriously not run? Sounds like a noob server.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
No run or ban? As in if you sprint away to cover you get banned?

I haven't played the game online yet but I hope that's not what's going on...

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
I tried the single player demo and didn't like it. COD single player has always been too scripted and Half Life is getting to be the same way (playing through episode 2 reminded me that Valve's been releasing the same shooter since 2004). I've never gotten into the more realistic war games. Crysis is different; the nanosuit and non-linear gameplay spiced things up enough to keep me interested.

I think counter-strike (original, not source) was the last semi-realistic multiplayer shooter I got into.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
@T2A: Some servers has that rule thing going on. Not all of them. But lately they are growing like the plague. That is correct, if one see you sprint while under fire or not, they will warn you. If they see you do it again they ban you. I imagine they don't have any mutators that can allow them to turn sprint off.

When getting a higher level you unlock things like 3 Nades instead of 1 when spawning, makes the uber pro player a lot better, but hey, you can also get martyrdom perk with that... makes it 4 grenade, 1 that you can't do **** with until you died.

Most of the map design is really simple. Imagine this as a bunch of crates in a huge box, a couple of walls and lots of uncool spam. They get played a lot and they are not fun, since almost every server that have players in them are almost always full and 20+ slot servers.

I hope to see some quality maps like Overgrown, because that's the only map I can fully enjoy personally.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I haven't run into any of the weird servers you have, which is nice. What a strange, stange rule. I really enjoy the game, I like the leveling as it's very steady and gives you an incentive. I've had no problems with the default weapons not being good enough, so it hasn't been a hinderence and when I unlock something, well, it feels good.

I hate the silly crates and small proximity maps, but I generally don't get stuck on them and it's a generally fun experience for me. I think that the style of gameplay is a good balance between realism (ie you need to use iron sights (or whatever scope) and not be running to be accurate at all) and arcade fun (martrydom, last stand, you heal if you stay put for 3 seconds, etc.) is quite enjoyable. Honestly, most of my multiplayer time lately has been between COD4 and TF2 since Insurgency added their silly, obtrusive HUD element.

~Jason

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
Wetworks, Showdown and Shipment are retarded maps I agree. Overgrown happens to be my favorite map as well. Most of the maps are smaller which makes it more intense fighting imo. I've never played on a server where they would kick you for sprinting. Keep in mind I rarely play anything other than Search and Destroy and when I do it's usually on a select few servers. A couple servers I play on do have rules which make the game a bit more fun. Rules such as: No nades in the first 20 seconds (because everyone wants to spam them), no cursing, no martyrdom etc. Martyrdom is the worst perk in the game me thinks. Also I play Hardcore because to me it's more realistic. With the regular mode you have to pump a full mag into someone before they die unless you headshot them. Hardcore mode is simple... you just have to shoot them a few times, if that many, to kill them. Plus they get rid of the hud/gps so you have to keep track of your ammo somewhat. You can still get the gps to pop up when you use an UAV so it's not entirely gone. BTW - Headquarters is a fast way to jump up the ranks. Get on a winning team and you can easily get 1500+ xp per round.

Look me up on xfire if any of you wanna play.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Huh, just realized that I could play multi in hardcore. Very nice. Now if only that was one of the search filters i would be in heaven. Much more interesting that way.

Last edited:

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
I've already passed level 28 three times. I'm on my third run up to level 55, in prestige mode. I'm sorry but you can definitely tell the difference between people that have played it only a little and those that have higher levels. You keep getting better.

The only problem I have is idiot kids on Xbox Live who think getting on top of a house is "glitching" when they plainly put dumpsters next to the wall that allow you to scale it. If they did not want people to go somewhere they would have just put clipping there. Stupid kid didn't even get my analogy when I said "I can go outside my house and get on the roof, why shouldn't I be able to in COD4?" The idiot said "You can't glitch in real life! fag!!" which made no sense whatsoever. Gee really?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've been playing it a lot since I bought it a few weeks ago. I'm at level 35 (Major) and I've only run into one server that had a "no-running except under fire" rule, though I have seen maybe a couple that request that you don't bunny-hop. I gather it's to make things feel a little more realistic. I actually ended up playing quite a while on the one I ran across. Of course there are hundreds of other busy servers that all ping around the 20's for me, so I can always choose to just play TDM, HQ, or S&D.

Kantham, you make it seem as though the P90 is the only good gun in the game. I've found several that are pretty potent, especially with the right attachment.

You may not like it, but I think you're definitely in the minority. I find it to be refreshing and addictive.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've played it a few times. I have to force myself not to play it because I fear it is way too addicting.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Oh, snap! If Brizz is willing to admit something not UT is additive, it must be purty gewd! :)

Quick note from the Grammar Police: Saying something is addicting is wrong. Bombs aren't exploding, they're explosive, and some activity is not addicting, it's addictive.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I played it to death when I first got it and shot to the highest rank (55 unless you can go higher) in a couple of weeks. Recently I haven't really played much online though. In fact I went for playing it super intensely to pretty much not playing it at all and must have only played it a couple of times since the new year. (Partially has to do with the amount of work I have atm. too)

Whilst I don't really play for awards you do miss something when you got most of them. (that guitar riff is too fun to hear
Rock_my_wee_emoticon.gif
)
I think what set this game above your average Realism shooter are the perks and awards, among other things. I also quite like the game speed.

Though I did go back to the single player over and over and completed that on the hardest setting.

What's everybody's choice of perks and weapons?
My bread and butter loadout is: RPD with grip (loosing a perk slot for the grip) with Stopping Power and Deep Impact. Gold Desert eagle as sidearm. In fact here, have a screenie.
[SCREENSHOT]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/dubdesign/BuF/CoDstatus.png[/SCREENSHOT]

Never been on a server in all my time playing that forbid you to run... sounds whack. Some people dislike you bunny hopping but again, not been on a server where this was an actual rule. Also never been on a server where they banned martyrdom. These all sound like some weird ass servers :)

Both the P90 and the MP5 are good run and gun weapons but I've met some people who are absolutely lethal with the P90. (atm I have both in my loadout) But I'd say that overall the P90 is more efficient and also slightly better at a distance. (P90 is my close-quarters weapon of choice)
Shipment is just a spam fest. :]

Last edited:

NubBlubber

Jan 29, 2008
sounds like you just arent good at the game. levels are meant to let you use all the weapons slowly instead of throwing everyweapon and perk at you in the begining not to give anyone an advantage. p90 is the most overated gun in the game. its not much better or worse then the rest of the smg's. i got 55 hours in game and havent been kicked once for sprinting. ive seen people complaing about jumping which i dont understand. as for martyrdom if you are playing on a ff server i see no problem in perma banning someone using it after one warning especially if they have a rank higher then 20. you should know better. its not really fair to blow up half your team when you die. server browser def needs some work but its more than sufficient for the time being to find a good low ping game of your choice.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
I like the game. :D

The only problem I found is that refreshing the server browser eats up all the bandwidth, causing xfire and teamspeak to disconnect. (The GUI overall is slick though)

About the servers and their custom rules: yea, they suck. Some ban martyrdom (with FF on, that's understandable though, others nubtubes and RPGs, bunnyhopping, 'not looking down the barrel when you shoot' and all kinds of crap. Tbh, I'm this close overkilling 2 nubtubes with martyrdom whilst bunnyhopping. :p

My bread and butter loadout is: RPD with grip (loosing a perk slot for the grip) with Stopping Power and Deep Impact.

Do you use that build for HC as well? For normal mode its great, but other weapons take down a player a lot faster on HC, without sacrificing Perk 1.

I use a silenced P90 (less knockback and muzzle flash), combined with C4 and steady aim for HeadQuarters.

Last edited:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
i am that martyrdom noob :D

got so annoyed by it while coming up as soon as it was unlocked i had to have it
it seems a tad less effective than 'last stand' but it's certainly funnier.

the walk/run speed is way to slow for me personally but it's not too bad.

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
<- Level 55

|dub| said:

For my main allround class, I use the G36C with Bandolier, Stopping Power and Steady Aim. It does a lot of damage, with fairly good accuracy.
My second class is RPD with Grip, Stopping Power and Steady aim for insane accuray. This baby is even capable of sniping. ;)
The third is my stealth class. Silenced M4 with Bandolier, UAV Jammer and Steady Aim. Great for flanking.
Then of course, the sniper class. M21 with Bandolier, Stopping Power and Iron Lungs. I used the Barrett at first, but it has too much recoil.
I have Red Tiger camo for all those.

My fourth class is for completing challenges. At the moment it's an AK-47 with Bomb Squad, Stopping Power and Steady aim.
I'm trying to get Red Tiger for the AK and complete the Counter-Claymore and Counter-C4 challenges.

Btw, Martyrdom sucks. There's no way in hell I'd give up Steady Aim for that.
Also, the P90 is indeed overrated, but still lethal in the right hands.

|dub| said:
Never been on a server in all my time playing that forbid you to run... sounds whack. Some people dislike you bunny hopping but again, not been on a server where this was an actual rule. Also never been on a server where they banned martyrdom. These all sound like some weird ass servers.

I've never come across any servers like that either and I've been playing almost since release-day.

The 1.4 patch did screw up the server browser, though, it was perfect before.
When I refresh, it says it found 20000 servers, but only 25 or something is displayed. :hmm:
Hopefully, it'll be fixed in the next one.