what to upgrade?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeDirecteur

CEO of Nijmegen
May 14, 2001
Netherlands
absolutebeginners.cjb.net
I have a p3 650 mhz CPU, 128 megs of ram and a tnt2 ultra videocard.
What, in your opinion will get me the most performance boost with UT; faster CPU, more memory or another videocard?
Since I'm only a poor student, I can't afford more than one upgrade right now. (Gotta save for a Geforce 3 for U2
:D )

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Upgrade choice

DeDirecteur,

I'd agree with 8-4-7-2. You definately should upgrade your video card. You have plenty of horsepower and memory. However while your TNT2 Ultra card has some horses it does not have the capability to utilitize specialized 3D features that most new games will be employing. Basically your choices would be GeForce or the ATI Radeon. If money is a concern you could purchase the newly released GeForce 2 MX and gain some features over the TNT2 card and enjoy a bit more at a relatively low cost however if you are a serious gamer hold out and get the high-octane GeForce whether it's a GeForce 2 GTS or GeForce 3. You'll be happy you did.

Robot TinMan|BuF

Godlike Blues Brutha
Feb 13, 2001
Sweden
www.clanrobot.com
Well, I'd say a vidcard too of course, but since DD is short of $ and is saving for a GF3, I thought it'd be better to wait.
Why spend money now when they'll be needed for the GF3 and U2? ;)

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
Contrary to what the others say, I think you should get more memory. I am running the same video card as you are, with the same amount of memory. You can push your video card to run high detailed actors, smooth surfaces, and vertex fog, but this adds more overhead to the game. Also, using EAX adds more overhead. Besides that, memory is cheaper and you'll want more for a Geforce 3 anyway =)

Roguefryfry|BuF

Sup_W{TSU}
Feb 28, 2000
Visit site
Go get a fresh credit card today and just max that baby out on the most expinsive rig you can find. Then change your name and file chapter 11. That way when Unreal 2 goes Gold you'll be ready
for it and you'll be set dude.

Or maybe just boost your Ram. 2 of my rigs have TNTs and they do well with 256Mb,my 3rd rig is a hog with a Radeon 64. I still have a Radeon All-In-Wonder sitting in the box waiting for someone to write a Cable Decrabaler program for it.

I'd hold out for GF3 man you own yourself.