What happened???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ro||erCoaSter

Aug 24, 2000
Visit site
OK, here goes...
I have a GeForce graphics card and i heard about this hack (as im sure many of you have as well) for getting S3TC to work on my card in OpenGl.
Well, several modifications were needed to be done for this to work:

1: I had UT v4.20, so i downloaded v4.28 as that is the only version "they" say this hack works with.

2: I had Asus3.75 drivers for my vid card, but they didnt support texture compression so i needed newer ones. I used Asus6.18beta drivers as i have had no luck with the 5.xx series drivers. So far, so good.

3: Got a new OpenGLdrv.dll file for UT, edited my registry under OpenGl render device, then installed the textures from the second disc.

I have to first tell you that the difference is amazing, it looks like a new game. I just ran around the maps solo offline so i could look around.
Offline, everything is fantastic, it runs nice and smooth, and looks great...no glitches.
Online however, is another story.
I tried several servers and always get the same problems. The player models do not animate, they are frozen in one position, and just slide around the maps, no running legs, no nothing. Oh yeah, thay are also semi-transparent.
Offline everything still looks great, and works fine.

To top it all off, i tried switching back to D3d, and now it does it in that setting as well.
What happened? Has anyone heard of this?
My theory is its a 4.28 problem and not an OpenGl or other graphics card problem as it does not behave strangely offline.
Can i fix this, or should i just reinstall the game and screw the textures?

Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom. :)

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
If you wanna fix the sliding models with odd looking skins in Direct3D, just copy all of the textures from CD1 into your textures folder, overwriting the ones that are there. I had the same problem a few days ago after playing around with the OpenGL patch and that's what got everything back to normal for me.

Jeff

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Well, aside from all the hacking, i had that prob too.
But just on certain servers.
I had to DELETE UT and install it all over again

Ro||erCoaSter

Aug 24, 2000
Visit site
Thanks for your comments, it was fun while it lasted.

Did anyone else have this problem and come up with a solution to fix it so that i can have the best of both worlds...playing online WITH the great textures?
It seems like some people have had better experiences than me with it, what did you do differently?