Most Awesome Moment in Games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Banoffee

Armoured
Jan 20, 2008
UK
Metal Gear Solid, the whole thing. Love it to bits. Plug the controller into controller port 2, the toxic gas Nikita puzzle, wasn't her number on the back of the CD case? What's this box doing here? I can't pick one.

F-Zero X, learning how to boost-slide, when I got it right the first time it was like PCHOWWWW NEEEAAOOWWNNNN waaahahahaha. *flies off the edge* The N64's awful control stick actually made it more fun for some reason. I think it's because of how hard it is to push it all the way to the side, and when boost-sliding, the further you push it the more you accelerate.

The section in Metroid Prime where you're introduced to Phendrana Drifts is sweet too. It's when you walk through this tight cave and come out the other side into this gigantic frozen expanse, with an old castle in the distance, thick falling snow and weird teleporting birds overhead. The sound is just loud wind and a tune made out of single piano notes. Win. In fact that entire area was really well done IMO.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Deciding on a most awesome moment is something I can't do... I do, however, have a few that provoked some serious emotion. (some that come to mind right now anyway)

Final Fantasy 7:
Aeris' death. Good grief I was upset the first time it happened. I hadn't had much access to the internet at all back then, so I didn't see it coming. It's gotten me close to tears every time I see it still.

Mass Effect:
Becoming a Spectre. Damn that was a good feeling.

Unreal 1:
The Skaarj in the hallway where the lights go off one by one.

FEAR:
Some of the scary moments in that game really freaked me out. I played most of it at night with sound on max and nothing around me to distract me. The one that scared me most:
where you don't see anything at first and decide to climb or descend a ladder and all of a sudden the little girl stands in front of you. Made me jump right out of my chair, that.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
  • Aeris.
  • In Resident Evil classic, when you meet your first Hunter after returning to the mansion from the guardhouse.
  • In Resident Evil REmake, the first time you meet Lisa Spencer.
  • In Resident Evil 2: Leon, when Ada dies.
  • In Resident Evil 3, when Nemesis attacks you (this happens alot.)
  • In Resident Evil 4, when Ada shows up (!)
  • In Resident Evil: Code Veronica, seeing Wesker for the first time since RE1.
  • Unreal, most of the translator messages.
  • Unreal, most of the environments.
  • Unreal, that first Skaarj fight in the mines as well as the fight with the Queen at the end.
  • Everything in Call of Duty 4.
  • Every conversation in KOTOR / KOTOR 2.
  • In Quake 4, when:
    ... Kane goes through Stroggification. That was ****ing awesome the first time.
  • In Prey, the first time you get to walk around on a grav-track.
  • In STALKER, when you get the 7th (and best) ending and all the stuff you have to do that leads up to it.
  • In Doom 3, when you find the missing scientist at the beginning of the game and all hell breaks loose and the monitors in the room display all kinds of demonic imagery. That was truly epic. Also, when you venture into the bathroom post-invasion and look into the mirror...
  • In Bioshock, when:
    ... you find out that Atlas is really Fontane and you're introduced to the whole 'Would you kindly' thing. That was wicked cool.
  • In Gears of War, when you first go underground. Awesome environments there.
  • In Crysis, right after you leave the spacecraft and everything around it is frozen. That was just epic.
  • In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the stuff that happens right after the battle at the Mulholland Intersection. I wasn't expecting that at all.
  • In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, when CJ and Sweet finally catch up with Tenpenny in the last mission.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Darked said:
In Doom 3, when you find the missing scientist at the beginning of the game and all hell breaks loose and the monitors in the room display all kinds of demonic imagery. That was truly epic. Also, when you venture into the bathroom post-invasion and look into the mirror...

Oh yeah, and the bathroom mirror scene. That one almost made me jump out of my chair, I was pleasantly surprised :D Really fantastic!

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Several people have mentioned Serious Sam (parts I&II).

I really enjoyed how the developers captured that Doom feeling but with decent graphics. I often found myself replaying levels just to see if I could find a different way to solve the "99 monsters beyond this door but only 98 bullets left" problem (which was easier than in Doom because the pistol had an infinite ammo supply). That I think was one defect in SS, the default weapon was too powerful and accurate at a distance. All too often the answer to the puzzle was just to hang back and pick monsters off from beyond the AI awareness range. The dispersion pistol isa better way of giving infinite ammo on a ranged weapon.

I suppose one other WOW! bit is when I first saw Wolfenstein 3D. No one under that age of 25 will understand how good its graphics were compared to most of what had gone before. Now it looks rubbish (worse than that even) but then it was spectacular.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
SHODAN's reveal halfway through System Shock 2 should be on anybody's list (though I guess there are plenty of infidels who never played the game). "Are you afraid? What is it that you fear? The end of your trivial existence?" AWESOME.

The rooftop chase scene in Beyond Good and Evil was a good sequence.

The final showdown with GLaDOS in Portal, of course. I love how that game starts out relatively tame and then repeatedly tops itself for awesome parts as you go along.

Baldur's Gate 2's last battle with Jon Irenicus in hell was a pretty good one too, maybe not as epic as the other moments I mentioned but the atmosphere of the setting, your companions' remarks, and all the hard work you've done to get to that point makes it great.

Kou

Augmentations > You
Eh, never really got into FF games.

That must be the scene I always hear about though, some bimbo gets cut down and it's apparently the most amazing thing anyone has ever witnessed in gaming.
All this hype, maybe I should go find the cutscene on YouTube...

It's one of those connection things. You have to actually play the game and get a feel for the character and everything. I personally didn't feel too upset when it happened. I don't think there was really an emotional response to it.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Possibly already mentioned, but whatever:

• Max Payne: The aftermath of the battle against the chopper. The battle itself was nothing special, but the satisfaction of knowing that Max finally has some measure of closure really chokes me up inside.
  • Max Payne 2: From when Mona is shot and on. Vlad is still one of the greatest villains of all time (if only because I liked the guy, even when I wanted to shoot him in the crotch with Mona's Desert Eagle), and the headlong charge against him just defines Max. That is when all the mysteries fade away, when all that remains is two men with guns. It didn't matter how many people were between them, there would be a confrontation.
  • Zone of the Enders 2: The last two fights against Nohman. No matter how many times I play that game, I can't help but use strong strikes and have a predatory grin on my face (a sign of any good game) as we dance.
  • Jak 3: The emergence from the tunnel and the realization that you have to fight the super-mech thing. That is the definition of a "****..." moment. Shame the fight on top of said mech was rather lame.
  • Armored Core (the original): The very last level. To this day that still freaks me out.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
What does he have to do? -.-

I mean isn't the point of this thread telling us the awesomeness that happens? :p

Here's one of my moments: The whole Crysis demo.

Last edited:

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
How could I ever forget the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief - Deadly Shadows?
I've probably been through this level around ten times and it still scares the sh*t out of me.

The Puppets! The damn Puppets!
[screenshot]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5108/shalebridgecradle2eu8.jpg[/screenshot]

It's just awesome. :D

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
-Playing UC1, and tinkering with the D-pad, and thinking to myself "oh this is neato, you can tap-tap and do alittle dodge thingy....I wonder if......"
(tap-tap-jump)--> "HOLY S**T!"
FOREVER will be the most memorable gaming moment to me, and made me actually want to play games in the Unreal series. That simple of a mechanic can make or break a game for me, i'm finiky like that.

-DMC1 and fighting Mundus on Dante Must Die with Super Dante (difficulty increased for uber character)

-MGS1...nuff said

-Super Mario Bros...nuff said

-Megaman series (1-6, Megaman X 1-4)

-Sega Saturn with MKIII and MegamanX4 : happy times

-Berial fight on DMC4 (NEW!)

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I cant believe I forgot this but

F-Zero GX completed all tracks on Master, beating all time attack ghosts, unlocking all character FMV's, and completing story mode on Very hard. That is my most awesome moment in gaming thus far.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't recall my very very very best moment in gaming, but I do recall a really awesome shot in UT2004, where I was driving the Manta, and the friendly flag carrier was about to fell off the map, I put my manta wing half way ravine/ground so he could still make it, and so he did. I guess the whole server was like "OMFG". It was priceless, and it was fast. I had a really slim chance to make it, everyone thought we made it up.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Oh yeah, and the bathroom mirror scene. That one almost made me jump out of my chair, I was pleasantly surprised :D Really fantastic!

haha, I forgot about that. Man, I was literally afraid to look in mirrors for the rest of Doom 3. Probably the best scare I've ever gotten playing games.