UT2007 Article Yields New Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The latest issue of PC Zone UK features a blowout on Unreal Tournament 2007 that features some terrific high-res assets and yields some interesting new details:

Feigning Death is back!
All maps will stream - not just Conquest. You'll be able to chat and strategize even as levels are loading up. Teams should stay set between rounds.
Hoverboard may include a grappling hook to attach to other vehicles.
Possible deployables (no gametypes specificed) such as a semi-solid Jelly Shield that will allow you to block entrances or trap others in, Spy Robots, Automatic Turrets.
A possible "insectoid" walker-vehicle.
Conquest gametype will include Tarydium resources - but will not slow down gameplay.
Survival gametype "sort of a 1 on 1".
Level-specific "superweapons" such as a collapsing roof, broken dam, earthquakes, falling boulders. (no gametype specified)
The most focus being placed on DM and CTF - getting just right.
The UT2007 name may change: "...at the moment we're calling it UT2007, but that could change. We might not do numbers.”

If you live in the UK, I'd rush right out and buy the mag as it is packed with art and details. We can't post the scans of the article, but we've cropped out a nice pic of the new Manta (right). Thanks Selerox!

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
hehe, pretty happy to hear feign death is back. but im sure tehre will be a mutator to disable it, since it kinda weird, and i see why they removed it for 2k3/4.

my favorite thing listed there is the map streaming!

and im interested to hear more about the "survival" gametype. maybe soemthign where everyone is in a queue of sorts, and 2 people fight at a time, and when someone wins, then next player is spawned to try to kill him... could be cool :D

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
UT had the feign death feature. You pressed a key and your body fell to the ground giving you limited camera movement. You could stand back up by pressing the same button, presumably to let your opponent pass by and allow you to attack him from the back.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Blaaguuu said:
hehe, pretty happy to hear feign death is back. but im sure tehre will be a mutator to disable it, since it kinda weird, and i see why they removed it for 2k3/4.

Actually, they removed it from 2k3/2k4 because the ragdoll physics would not allow you to regain control of your player once it took over. The new physics will. :)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Ubersneaky

.:42:. said:
what is feigning death?

It's basically a way of "playing dead". So if you get shot, you can hit a key and "feign death" - basically slump to the floor, but while still alive. Your enemy might get tricked into thinking he's killed you, and walk off. Which is when you get up and shoot the sucker in the back :D

The new physics in UT2007 mean that will probably be a more useful feature in UT2007 than in the original UT.

.:42:.

Mar 28, 2005
hal said:
UT had the feign death feature. You pressed a key and your body fell to the ground giving you limited camera movement. You could stand back up by pressing the same button, presumably to let your opponent pass by and allow you to attack him from the back.

sounds fun :)

.:42:.

Mar 28, 2005
Selerox said:
It's basically a way of "playing dead". So if you get shot, you can hit a key and "feign death" - basically slump to the floor, but while still alive. Your enemy might get tricked into thinking he's killed you, and walk off. Which is when you get up and shoot the sucker in the back :D

The new physics in UT2007 mean that will probably be a more useful feature in UT2007 than in the original UT.

Thanks

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Selerox said:

If he/she is a newbie,they'll walk by or think you're dead.

You know what I did when I saw a body lying on the floor? Always? Shoot it.

Hey, and if it's a dead body it's so much fun gibbing it :D

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
hal said:
All maps will stream - not just Conquest. You'll be able to chat and strategize even as levels are loading up. Teams should stay set between rounds.

Does this mean no more loading times between maps?

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
DemonThing said:
Does this mean no more loading times between maps?

my assumption is, when the game actually switches maps, it will take time to load the map, but you will remain in the current map (probably frozen in place, but able to chat) until the new map is loaded, rather than starign at a black screen for a minute...

but there wont be any load times if you physicaly move between 2 of the segmented maps

Kalibrate

May 27, 2005
Perhaps predictive-loading.
Could it be that as you start walking towards the new map area you cross a 'tripwire' which starts loading the next map ready for when you actually cross over? Just an idea that crossed my mind.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Feigning death was fun :D Until the enemy figures out that people faking still have their names flash up on the screen when you target them. :( A dead body doesn't do that.