Tutorial Map Needed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
There needs to be a trial map teaching you the basics, explaining to you how to wall dodge and etc... And have it explain to you that the stupid character flipping animation is all fluff and it is only character animation based. I wonder how many more people would still be playing ut2k4 if there was a simple trial map explaining to you everything from movement to weapons to vehciles. It wouldn't take a lot of resources to do it and it would enhance a lot of beginner's experience. I wonder if ut2k4 really has a steep learning curve or if there is just a lack of documents teaching people how to play that don't need to be accessed through google or forums. UT2k4 is such a unique game; there needs to be better tutorials. It shouldn't be a requirement of every gamer that buys ut2k4 to have to google 'ut2k4 guide'. Just watch that ut2k4 DM tutorial in the community section again; it's ridiculous.

There also needs to be a dummy built into the level that somehow communicates how much damage is being done to it. So you have a better idea of what each weapon does. Maybe even add a section into the map that shows you how to use the projectile weapons effectively.

I understand that there might be some hidden gems in the game that the developer wont even be aware of, like the boost dodging in ut2k3 and the strafe jumping and insanely awesome physics in Q3... but atleast all the movement techniques and cool weapon features the developer is aware of should be communicated to the new gamer through a tutorial level or demo.

Last edited:
there are game tutorials, 1 for dm/tdm, ctf, br?,etc (while not the most helpful, they do start somewhere)

in community, tutorials or something, while it would be good for epic to include it to help people, i believe buying any ut strat mag, would probably help u out enought to get going..

edit_ check out the community(forums, webpages), that has no doubt helped thousands of people.
+ people are willing to help other players (mostly anyway)

Last edited:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
i would like to have a system based on licenses like in GT4 to learn all the move and jump technics (from very basic ones to most advanced ones...)
This way everyone would try them and even if they don t master them, they would know what it is about...

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
kAoS.Xaero said:
there are game tutorials, 1 for dm/tdm, ctf, br?,etc (while not the most helpful, they do start somewhere)

in community, tutorials or something, while it would be good for epic to include it to help people, i believe buying any ut strat mag, would probably help u out enought to get going..

edit_ check out the community(forums, webpages), that has no doubt helped thousands of people.
+ people are willing to help other players (mostly anyway)
Look at the dm/tdm tutorial it's hideous. A trial map would better suit beginners.

Players shouldn't have to buy a strat mag to learn the movement basics. Strat mags should be about map control, refining aiming techniques and more advanced aspects of the game.

A beginner shouldn't have to use google to find a decent guide or have to join a community just to learn the basics of a game, even though this may have been why ut2k3's community was so strong but small.

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
Epic said somthing along the lines of having an interactive tutorial, thanks to kismet.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
briachiae said:
Strat mags should be about map control, refining aiming techniques and more advanced aspects of the game.

A beginner shouldn't have to use google to find a decent guide or have to join a community just to learn the basics of a game, even though this may have been why ut2k3's community was so strong but small.

Have you ever found some decent guides? all that I have found mostly describes where everything stands. we don t need a guide to know that, we just need to go around with the free cam to find out where everything stands. In addition, I even found some secrets by my own that no guide even mentioned :S
I wonder if sometimes some unscrupulous book editors just only use the UT name only to make easy money with some amator guides...

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Selerox said:
The original UT had a series of simple tutorial maps for each gametype (and basic movement). You could physically do the moves, rather than just watching.

Yes, but you'd have to start a tournament game if you wanted to play those tutorial maps. Which isn't that much bother anyhow.

Tournament game: The single player. The challenge ladder. Not the practise sessions.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
It's simple...

Make an instruction booklet that actually instructs you how to play.

How many times have you found out something new in this game that "wasn't in the book." You seriously don't want to know how long I played this game before I knew you could switch seats inside a vehicle or how to actually do it. In my opinion that's not an unimportant tactic NOR is it "easter-egg" worthy. It should have been in there. That's just one of many.

I see this trend in a lot of new games... it all started pretty much with the newer "smaller boxes" seen in stores. Ever since packaging went to half the size, it seems the contents that came with the game halved as well with half-assed manuals and whatnot.

Last edited:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
why not having some kind of map(s) that would be both a challenge (with best times online) and a way to learn some jumps tricks or shooting tricks or whatever else technical.
for instance you must go from point A to B in the map as fast as possible. To make your way, you must shoot a flying target with your lightning gun to make a bridge avalaible, then you must jump over a gap with a boost jump, (or go around if you miss (longer wayof course)), then you must perform a shield gun jump to jump over a wall and so on...
We could have 2 or 3 of such maps that everyone could play alone and the best times could then appear online on the stats server and in the personnal stats.

Well, that s just my way to try to figure out an interesting and challenging tutorial.

EL BOURIKO said:
Have you ever found some decent guides? all that I have found mostly describes where everything stands. we don t need a guide to know that, we just need to go around with the free cam to find out where everything stands. In addition, I even found some secrets by my own that no guide even mentioned :S
I wonder if sometimes some unscrupulous book editors just only use the UT name only to make easy money with some amator guides...

lol, he was actually disagreeing with me, who made that claim(about guides), would be cool if there was a map, and the announcer told u stuff, would be cool

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
kAoS.Xaero said:
lol, he was actually disagreeing with me, who made that claim(about guides), would be cool if there was a map, and the announcer told u stuff, would be cool

Yeah, I'm for it. It worked pretty well with HL and CoD, so why not?

And agreed it should be under Instant Action/ Practice Session as well as Single Player/ Tournament. Maybe you could get the option to remove the GUI link to it if you actually did all the tutorials.

krjal

Minotaur
May 10, 2005
Australia
TBH I was puzzled by the choice to not include real tutorials in the 2KX games.

This should definitely be in but they bloody well had better not tout it as a revolutionary feature. It should have been in there in the first place!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
NeoNite said:
Yes, but you'd have to start a tournament game if you wanted to play those tutorial maps. Which isn't that much bother anyhow.

Tournament game: The single player. The challenge ladder. Not the practise sessions.
Of course it would be better if they separated the 'real practice' from the single-player content (which is also a kind of tutorial).
However in concept the UT99 tutorials where better because they were interactive. And that is what really is missing in the UT2kx-series of tutorials ...

// ---
The 'license'-idea sounds like a great option to get people to play the tutorials.
The only problem is that the kind of people that should use these things don't.
An America's Army-style set of tutorials (forcing people to play the tutorials before allowing them to play online) would only result in people trying to find cheats to skip the tutorials ...
Altough IMHO the benifits would outweigh the costs, provided the tutorials are fun to play.

krjal

Minotaur
May 10, 2005
Australia
They don't have to force people to play them, just have a little notice box saying, "It is recommended you play the tutorials before venturing online. Press OK to play tutorial or Cancel to continue."

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
Dont call them tutorials thouggh, that sounds unnatractive. Somthig like "Arena qualification".

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Or call it "N00bs: Click here." :D

This game needs more tutorials, and I'm pretty pissed at the complete lack of anything in-game or in the book. Just look at the DM "tutorial." It says something along the lines of, "You start out with a shield gun and it can gib people. You also start out with an assault rifle and it can throw grenades. These are great weapons, but you're going to need to find more. The end." Nowhere does it mention weapon damage, powerup respawn times, or the fact that dying a lot in TDM is just as bad as not killing people. It's pathetic, really. To learn this game requires you to find somewhere to play with skilled people, but playing with skilled people as a first-timer results in you not being able to kill anyone. That reason alone is probably why so many people shelf this game after they buy it (or start playing Instagib).

PS: NeoNite, there's a button when choosing a map in Instant Action to view the tutorial for whichever gametype you've selected, I believe.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
In addition, I am sure that a well designed tutorial could also explain new tricks to both new beginners and experienced players as well.
IMO, some licences (based on GT4 licenses) would be the best way to introduce the tutorial. One could think it this way, the more licenses you manage to get, the more secrets characters you unblock.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It would sure beat having to complete the singleplayer-tournament only to find that you get one lousy character (if you had completed the thing on the 'godlike' difficulty-setting) ...

Even something as simple as unlocking new maps/gametypes would be some encouragement towards completing the licenses.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
For those of you who've never played Unreal Tournament, here's what the start of the "Tournament ladder" looks like.

Select a team etc.. next is the first ladder: deathmatch. And the oooh soooooo pwetty ;O) tutorial map. Voice narrated (and a very sexy voice it is...)

You learn the basic movement, learn how to use the impact hammer, there's a shockrifle. An opponent spawns, he can't hurt you but you have to frag him 5 times etc...

Attachments

• UT_tutorial01.jpg
    UT_tutorial01.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 21
  • UT_tutorial02.jpg
    UT_tutorial02.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: