internet only UT problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Louis

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I have a big problem when trying to play UT on the internet. Whenever I join a game I get a blue screen error after a few seconds. I just got this computer yesterday so there shouldn't be any problems. It's a 1GHz PIII, 256 MB RAM, Voodoo4 running Windows ME and UT v436. I have the latest drivers from 3dfx. I have tried reinstalling UT numerous times, as well as the graphics card drivers. The game runs fine in single player or on my LAN, just not on the internet. I'd appreciate any help

Louis

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
At first it was a blue screen with an error on 0028:C00120EA but the last few tries have been different errors each time. When I try I have the 3dfx panel, keyboard software, mouse software, systray, explorer, AOL and UT running.

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
Ahhhh yes, the famous Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) error. If I had to make an educated guess, it would be that UT is NOT causing the BSOD, but something more sinister.

Here are a few questions for you:
1) Is UT the only 3D game causing the BSOD error? If it's happening in other games, it's most likely the 3Dfx card causing the problem. Play something else and see if you get a BSOD.

2) Are you getting errors when playing other Online games? Try playing UT offline as a test to see if your ISP (AOL) is the culprit.

If you keep having problems and are not very knowledgeable about hardware, try to get your PC manufacturer to repair it and send it back to you. But only do this as a last resort.

Louis

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
UT is the only game that does it. I've played Tribes 2, Diablo 2 and Red Alert 2 online without any problem (aside from my slow modem). UT works fine playing single player and on my LAN, it's just internet that doen't work.

Louis

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I don't know much about the IRQs so I have to ask what to do. In system information, it lists all of them, and my modem and video card are sharing IRQ 11, along with a couple of other things. Could that be causing problems in only UT? If changing one through device manager would help, which should I change and what should I change it to?

DaoTan

Jul 10, 2001
Visit site
yeah sounds like an IRQ issue, i am not a fan of forcing IRQ settings in windows, i would just move the modem to another slot and see of that changes the IRQ

Louis

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
How would I get the IRQs changed? Windows won't let me do it from the device manager. I know ME isn't good, this pc and the other one on the network have had nothing but trouble. I only have a 98SE upgrade though, so I can't use that, although my uncle is sending me a full 98 installation, hopefull that fixes things.

Gladiator (DK)

Getting better at this
Jul 9, 2001
Denmark - Esbjerg
Visit site
This might work ??

Hey Louis, had the same problem times ago, check you 256 ram, whith a goldfinger program or try to get your PC manufacturer to do it 4 you.....It could also bee the heat, try to take the sides of you tower, those 1GHz PIII is wery hot !!.....Hope you get it 2 work.....

Louis

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I can't find all the irqs in bios, but there are about six or seven of them. Does the modem need to be by itself or can it share?