Games freezing - windows not rebooting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I'm having the weirdest issue.

For the last month or so most of my games are hanging/freeze. When this occurs I have also noticed that my PC won't reboot properly - it just stays on the message "restarting".

Another point is that usually the game process won't let me kill it in the task manager. No matter what I do it just stays there. (this problem only occurs when games freeze like this not generally)

The next strange thing is that the crashes in-game seem to occur when physics kick in, so for example in Grid it will load and run and I can start the first track but as soon as another car touches me the game freezes.
Just Cause 2 - I can again load the game, load my save and run around but if I shoot or use the grappling hook the game will freeze.
Limbo - I can start the game but as soon as I jump - freeze.
Bastion - I can start the game and walk about but as soon as I pick up the first weapon the game freezes.
So from this it seems it doesn't matter whether or not the game is 3D or not.

The only games that don't seem affected by this at all are TF2, Shogun Total War 2, SF IV and SSF IV AE. These run without so much as a hitch on max settings (wait, Total War, I don't run on max settings, but high).

All other programs seem to behave normally including my 3D software. I literally only have this problem with games, it seems.

Windows 7 x64 SP1
Radeon HD 5800 - newest drivers (this occurred with drivers 11-5 to 11-7, so I don't think the drivers are the issue)

Anyone got an idea as to what the problem may be? Frankly I'm stumped.

Last edited: