Will people ever be happy?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
How long did it take for Unreal Tournament to be produced from begining to end? Was the wait worth it? YES!

Why do i bring this up well heres the deal. Everyone goes nuts on a company if it releases a game to early, right? Everyone screams they should have spent more time on the game and released it when it was good and ready. Just stop and take a look at Ultima X (or was it IX, I can't remember).

So now, Ion Storm waits untill Daikatana is good and ready before it releases it and still everyone goes nuts. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MINDS PEOPLE. People will bitch about anything.

What do you want most? A company that will take it's time on a product (like they did with UT, granted not as much) untill it's good or a company that releases crap? The answer is obvious.

People may bitch the game was hyped up too much too early, who's fault was that? I don't know all the details in this case but I'm sure a large majority of the hype was built up by us, wanting to know more about what John Romero was doing following quake. We were always asking for screens and dates and info ect, etc, etc. It wasn't John Romero's fault or Ion Storm's fault, the hype was built by us on this one folks.

Cudos to Ion Storm, John Romero and the rest of his crew for sticking with it and working on a game untill it was good and ready. We should be praising these guys for making sure it was ready. This game looks like it's going to rock.

------------------
"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them."
-Mark Twain

BeerGun

consultant in beerology
Feb 2, 2000
Toronto area
Visit site
Here's a review of the demo.. needless to say, I'll stick with UT.
http://www.somethingawful.com/games/dkdemo

bullet2.gif

"It's hard to beat a person until they go unconscious. After that, it gets a little easier."

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
I had no problems at all installing the demo and I agree the little frogs were annoying. The reviewer didn't have an open mind and gave the game a biased review. The author should have tried playing the demo the whole way through with an open mind and he'd realized the weapons are fresh, the interface is cool and the sidekicks are fun, easy to use and smart.

bullet2.gif

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them."
-Mark Twain

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
I actually waded throught the guys review and he didn't even get past the first level. The first is by far the worst of the three levels, the second two are cool.

bullet2.gif

-Mark Twain

RedBeard

Mar 23, 2000
Grapevine, TX USA
Visit site
Personally I like daikatana. I only have one problem with it. The game has been in development for 4 years!!!

the original slated release was (don't quote me on this) dec 97.

Daikatana has to be the greatest selling game of all time, JUST TO BREAK EVEN!!!!

Now, if a game is in development for 4 years, it better be frickin revolutionary. This is the one thing daikatana is not.

-Red

I still will probably buy daikatana though, just to play a little decent single player.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
It's revolutionary in the fact that the sidekicks aren't a pain in the ass and actually get out of your way if they are blocking the door or something. It might be the first game to effectively use side kicks as a major part of the game. Opposing force used them with a lot of succes but they were not a constant through out the whole story, the AI was still rather dumb, and they were VERY repetitive when they spoke!

bullet2.gif

-Mark Twain

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

Unfortunately, G-Man, people will complain about anything. Give us a dollar and we want two... :).

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
That's my point Proph, and people should CHANGE! If we want great games to be made we should encourage that which promotes the production of great games.

I don't know if any of you guys read game developers magazine but there was one recently with an article on half life and they explained the production of half life. Little do you all know but the whole project almost went into the bin! The first almost finsihed product stank when it was approaching the predicted time to go gold. One (or all of the gang) that was producing it said "wait a sec guys this is shit we need to rework it..." and they went back to the drawing board and started over again and delayed the game release date. Look what came out of that situation!

WE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGING GAME DEVELOPERS TO TAKE THEIR TIME NOT CURSING THEM! I'd wait an extra six months, year, year and half, heck two years if the game that is finally released is worth my time to play. PEOPLE PLEASE, LET'S DO WHAT'S BEST FOR GAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bullet2.gif

-Mark Twain

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
It was quite funny reading this page. I found these people not only to be ignorant but just plain stupid. I would just have to repeat what I have read many times before..If all games are so bad..Make one yourself...I am sure by his expert opinions he would make the best game out there on the market today. I dont think much of demos..Most are not even close to the real games anyways. If he was that great of a critic I would assume that someone would give him his own high speed connection to download games and test them lol....What is he a garage critic? I dont care for this type of a site at all and I find it amusing the lenths people will go to to get people to stop by their sites. I would also like to mention that yes young kids do read reveiws about games, I am sure he will never be given a job as a real reviewer cause the language he used was just awful. I would only assume he is 16 years old (or younger).

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I think most people's complaint is that a game shouldn't be released before it's finished, and the bugs are out... lessening the need for patches. As far as Daikatana goes, with it being delayed for over a year from it's origional release date, we were all expecting a GREAT game that we couldn't tear ourselves away from (like UT). But what we got was simply a good game, that's fun but doen't really have anything that makes it stand out. That's what i've gathered from reading reviews and opinions. But i've been too busy playing UT to download the demo, so i'll tell you all what i think about it later.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Hold on their clay, noones even played the REAL game yet!! Everyone is passing judgment on this game and noones even played the REAL DEAL yet!!!!

I played the UT demo and couldn't have given a rats a$$. The Daikatana demo was far more intersting and original then UT demo. I love UT and hopefully I'll like the retail version of Daikatana.

This whole fact of people passing judgment on a game before it's even really been played is an extension of the problem that I'm trying to point out.....

bullet2.gif

-Mark Twain

something

Apr 12, 2000
any place on the web
Visit site
Companies invite the pressure from the public. They market their upcoming titles months in advance trying to increase the hype around them. But, if they miss the "promised" dates, they shoot themselves in the foot.

I appreciate what some companies are now doing, waiting! Many new titles this year are just being announced and "will be shipping" in the summer. This is much closer than the "will ship next year" type of marketing in years past. Hopefully this will avoid the missed dates.

Also, all this "must be out for Christmas" sucks. Most of the blockbuster releases have not been on Christmas. This industry is one built mostly on individuals who work for a living and buy their own games. Also, most of us probably tell our love ones to buy a specific game for Christmas (while being patient enough not to buy it ourselves).

Companies are putting too much pressure on themselves to make this Dec 25th date. Again, they do it to themselves.

Companies also bring pain onto themselves for releasing buggy software. With proper testing they will know how bad things are. When I was part of the UO beta it was obvious that the product wasn't ready (and was the reason I never purchased it). So, again the companies are the ones shooting themselves in the foot.

They are playing with our emotions and or dollars. Any complaints about date slips or buggy software all falls back on the company's shoulders.

I wish to encourage companies to build the best games possible, so letting them hear the negative impact on us the customers of their poor planning is good. EA didn't listen after the release of Ultima 8 and screwed up again on Ultima 9. They paid dearly for it by losing Richard Garriott. If only they had listened they would have release on the of best (it showed) RPGs in a loooong while.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Companies like Blizzard, and Ion Storm have it right...

No matter how strong the pressure is to release the game you got to keep your cool and wait till it's REALLY ready. Look at Star Craft, that game is still topping the charts, I'm sure Diablo II will be the same. Hopefully so will Daikatana, but the general public seems to already have it in for the game even though no ones really played the real game yet. I guess John Romero's past success seem to be working against him somehow. All this go's back to my initial point.

I agree this Christmas rush thing is annoying, I would love to do some sort of study that would scale the backlash on a game that was released early and the effect on it's sales in comparison to how it would have sold had the company released it when it was finished. It'd be interesting to find out which way a company would make more money.

How can we as gamers have more of an impact on game production other than the "all mighty dollar?" (I can't beleive I just said that...) Can we influence game companies in other ways?

bullet2.gif

-Mark Twain

BeerGun

consultant in beerology
Feb 2, 2000
Toronto area
Visit site
I agree that all software can't be properly evaluated completely by checking the demo, sometimes you have to risk your cash based solely on hearsay. I'm aware there are programs that allow large file downloads, I use Download Accelerator myself. It's a great program, but even so, the larger the file, and the greater number of reconnects, the larger chance of a corrupt file. I know because it's happened to me after a 4-6 hour download session.
My point is simply, a file that size will cause people with slow connections to balk at downloading it, and they will base their opinion on the reviews of others, as biased as they may be. Epic did an admirable job of displaying the merits of their game in a demo quite a bit smaller, and I think Ion could have done the same.
As far as demos and their usefullness goes, if the demo runs like crap there's a good chance the full version will run like crap once you add all the extra bells and whistles... just my view on things.
;)

B

BloW__Smoke

I'm downloading the demo now, so on daikatana i'll make no comments, but i played the demo of SoF, and found it boring, then i had the full game later, played it, and still find it the same as the demo, still boring.
Maybe the single player mode had me going for at least 10 minutes, but the multiplayer was .......
This i had with many demo's, i agree then completd game is proberly better as the demo, but still you get an impression of the game, and with the case of Sof it came out

bullet2.gif

He's part mechanic,
and part organic,
not a Cyborg.....
Call him .... XAN!!!!!

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff, home of the world-famous Llama Farm

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I found the UT demo irresistable. I played it constantly. Every day, every night.

I found the Daikatana demo to be the biggest waste of space I've ever seen. Now my wife thought it was amusing - but it didnt take her long to delete it.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

B

BloW__Smoke

I downloaded the demo, play it, and it S*CKs, first i tought i was back in wolfenstein, those textures are bad.
I even liked SoF more as this one :(

bullet2.gif

He's part mechanic,
and part organic,
not a Cyborg.....
Call him .... XAN!!!!!

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff, home of the world-famous Llama Farm