Sniping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vittek

Mar 1, 2000
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Visit site
Okay, this is a complicated idea, and it many might not like it, but it sure as hell is realistic, and that's what you're going for, right?

As anyone who has tried to fire a scoped rifle accurately at long range knows, it's impossible to keep the crosshairs perfectly steady due to heartbeat and breathing. So, this would be an interesting change. Say, when you look through the scope on a rifle, the view bobs around gently, making it impossible to shoot at a small target. If you're up close, you wouldn't see a big difference, but you shouldn't be hopping around with a rifle anyway. Anyway, if you click the fire button, it just fires wherever the crosshair is. But if you hold the button, the sniper holds his breath, cancelling out much of that movement. Then, when you release, you would fire. However, if you hold the buttons for more than a few seconds, the view begins to shake even more due to oxygen deprivation. I think that would make long range sniping much more realistic. Also, when zoomed in, (or aiming with any weapon), you shouldn't be able to move that fast.

If you do decide to implement this, you should also limit the maximum magnification on the scope. As it is now, no matter what range a target is at, you can always crank the mag up all the way so that you could shoot in the pupil of his right eye.
One last thing : what's up with that 900X scope??? And why does the guy twist the elevation knob on the scope to switch zoom?

Vittek is hoping we can get some huge, good-looking outdoor with a bit of indoor maps for Inf.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Sniping? Hey, that's what I like to do..
The idea sounds not that bad, only it might be quite hard to realize; and it should be done for all weapons in aiming mode - and that would be quite hard.
Maybe it could be implementet somehow into the reticle system..
Still I don't think it would be smart to use the fire button for holding the breath down - would mean that the shot goes off after you release the trigger, which would, in my opinion, be a little bit disturbing for all the brave soldiers out there, who tend to hold the button down a while after the shot has gone.[I know that's a stupid thing to do, especially with the MP5..still I do it - I'm no pro, just a freak]

That 1000x zoom is, as far as I know, a 1000% zoom; for those not studying maths:
1000x is not 1000%
1000% = 10x
which is not really unusual.
(my brother is hunter and owns some scope rifles: the smaller scope he owns has a 1.5x-10(or12)x Zoom.
Would be 150%-1000%

Anyway keep making good suggestions,

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Billdog

Aug 7, 1999
Denmark
An animal killer, that's sick! Are you sure he's not a replicant, and why don't you go to the police?

It could be a player option for the sniper rifles. Holding down the fire button would be a problem as you can't call it off. More buttons is not a option, and dual functions is likely to be a mess. The chances are low but you never know, right.

Jarhead

Feb 23, 2000
hey, interesting idea, but i can remember playing goldeneye for the N64, where they modeled that, and it drove me crazy. yes, it is realistic, but any trained proffessional who knew his (or her) ass from a hole in the ground would know how to be still when taking and lining up the shot. serpentine, which was a mod for regular unreal had that feature, but it was very well implemented. the biggest issue when trying to snipe at long range is being able to HOLD the rifle still. your breathing can be quite easily controlled, but i would be very suprised if anybody could hold a 25-30 pound .50 cal sniper rifle completely still without any support for more than a couple of minutes. holding it up isnt really a problem, but when you have your arm flexed for an extremely long period of time, it starts to really shake. i can remember one time when i was taking prarie dogs out at my uncle's house, i was lying on a mattress that i had dragged out there and i saw a prarie dog poke his little head up. i took the shot, but he was down again so fast i didnt hit anything but air. so at this point it was personal. i lay there, looking down the scope for almost 10 minutes, and the only reason i stopped was that i was shaking so bad i knew i wouldnt have hit anything. now mind you this was with my ruger 10/22 varmit rifle, which i promise weighs much less than a robar 50. anyway, perhaps you could make it so that the longer you stayed in zoom the worse the shaking would get.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Well I really don't want to start a discussion about hunting, but I think there are a few things to mention.

1. I and my brother live in Austria; unlike in the US we cannot drive around shooting deers and whatever as we like.
There are strict laws in Austria what you are allowed to shoot and how much! Also a hunter in Austria has to pass a quite challenging exam for the hunting license.

2. In mid-europe generally, and Austria specially, the predator population is quite low; to prevent nature from killing the deers, which are too numerous, by illnesses - which is by god no nice death - the hunters do the killing, usually more effective.

3. Another aspect of hunting in Austria is, that the hunters try to shoot the weak and ill animals - just like a predator would eat them. I know that this ain't so all around the world, but in Austria hunters have quite a sense of ethic..
My brother for example uses to hunt foxes in the winter; in the first year more than fifty percent where ill. Now there are no ill foxes any more, just healhy ones, which have to be reduced in number though, to prevent an overpopulation.

To finish, I sometimes accompany my brother, when he is out hunting(which doesn't mean I hunt - I'm not even allowed to hunt) and I couldn't say that he is a trophy hunter.

I myself don't hunt, I just don't like it that much - I rather enjoy shooting at a range. I also know that most people have a quite build-up opinion about hunting and hunters, so this little post won't change much.

Just perhaps the one or other might view it once from a different angle.

Whatever

Snakeye

------------------

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
the laws are the same in america, just not the mentality. There are relatively strict hunting laws and preservation, we don't just "drive around in pickup trucks", picking off everything we see. Whether all these laws are obeyed is a different story. The prarie dog thing was done in private property, which isnt hunting territory. If a deer wandered off hunting grounds into private property, it isnt exactly legal to run out and shoot it (especially if it's not your property). Also, I don't know specific local laws about firing firearms outside of a range at all, but if he was shooting prarie dogs it seems like they might be quite a trek out of city limits.

this topic is depressing me, and I'm not really sure why. I think I've seen bambi too many times

off topic, but what the HELL kind of name is "bambi" for a guy deer? For ANYONE who isnt involved in the adult film industry and, hopefully, female?

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Sorry with the deer?
Try eating a good deer steak..

You wouldn't call your son bambi??

(wondering why nobody complains about the poor bot population being diminished by cruel Infiltrators..)

------------------

Billdog

Aug 7, 1999
Denmark
The steady aim will be a problem cause you'd expect to be able to use the surroundings, coding THAT may be a couple of engines away.

Bambi is a boy so the girls don't get tendencies and still LOVE the movie.

I'm not into law but nobody gets away with animal murder 1, and if he's a skin job the runners WILL get him!

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Jesus Christ..
What job are you doing Billdog?

Every animal will kill to survive, why not us too?
Or did you never eat a steak?
In case you're a vegetarion I've got bad news:
Plants are alive too!(I got a know, I studied a year biology..)
So if you don't kill a deer, you kill a Bean..

What's the difference.

------------------

please add a laser for the M9..

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
umm i could care less about the hunting thing that's more of a off topic thingy anyhow. Besides aren't you supposed to go for the head? whatever.

I really like the idea for the sniping. It gets my vote.

Corin

Jan 26, 2000
San Jose, CA
Visit site
Actually..., plants can feel pain, not only have I read this in a scientific journal some years back, but I have heard of someone who had an electrometer, he clipped the electrodes to the stem of a tomato plant, then would pull off a leaf and there would be a violent electric impulse about 1 sec later.

Billdog

Aug 7, 1999
Denmark
I referred to Bladerunner several times and it's obviously the wrong board for that. Now the topic is the part of man hunt called sniping.

To the elevation knob question: It'll change when Warren gets time working on the animations.

FabulousRex

Old Guard Infantryman
Feb 15, 2000
Ft. Myer, VA USA
I'm sorry Billdog, not everyone here is THAT old. I'm 18 and I've never seen B-Runner, so have'nt many people to. I've heard it bombed at the box office too.

PS: I was wondering what the hell you meant by 'replicants' and 'runners getting him'....

------------------
If ignorance is bliss, why are'nt more people happy?

Evil Joe

I Will Kill You
Feb 13, 2000
You don't try to shoot Deer in the head. That would be stupid you try to get them right above their front "shoulder" right behind the neck and above the leg... I"m at a loss for the proper term for that part of the deer but anyways... I've hunted before and I killed a deer... sort of boring sitting there waiting for the deer to come by. In my state its essential to have hunting to maintain the proper population... man has influenced the ecosystem enough that it is necassary that we manually maintain the proper numbers of certain species to benefit all species. I find hunting sort of boring but I fully understand its neccesity. I also love venison... but what the hell does this all have to do with Infiltration?

Oh yeah about the sway... its impossible to hold any weapon perfectly steady you just don't notice it as well with open sites or with dinky 4x scopes.... anyways snipers almost always use support so they are more accurate... and if you know ANYTHING at all about shooting you know that you shoot when you've exhaled all your breath... when firing at multiple targets you develop a breathing pattern... this is pretty basic stuff, I mean they teach in US army basic training (which is a joke)

[This message has been edited by Naughty5zero (edited 03-07-2000).]