Voodoo to GeForce

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dg3Nr8

Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
I have been using a V3 3000 since they came out. At 800X600 with everything on medium i get around 45-50 fps in UT. I got ahold of a GeForce 32 MB DDR today and threw it in. At the exact same settings i lost on an average of 8-10 fps. I know UT runs better in Glide but shouldnt a much faster card be at least the same in D3D? And why does the card have the precaching message whenever a level loads? It never did that with the voodoo.

Jearay

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
Me too, I had a V3 and I bought a GeForce DDR yesterday.

As for the performance, I think the Geforce beats by a mile my V3 even if it's using D3D.

Here's a guide that explains all the Geforce options: http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/geforce/

The precaching copies the textures to the agp arperture or something like that, the voodoo didn't have that option. Don't forget to set your AGP arperture size to half your ram(in the bios), maybe that is why you have lower performance.

RW

Nov 24, 1999
Sparks, Nevada USA
Visit site
Precaching is not an option with the V3 because it doesn't need it to perform. Now is not the best time to be buying a geforce with the geforce2 due any day, first the GF2 is a better card and second the price of the geforce will drop I bet by 20% when the GF2 hits the stores IMHO.

I should add that for whatever reason nvidia cards just have a problem with UT in d3d rendering. Now some say this is epics fault but then I had a $150 Savage card and it got a whopping 55 FPS plus in UT CTF face with eight bots at 1024x768x32 using d3d and was a bit faster using the metal drivers WTF.

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 04-29-2000).]

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
With the Ge Force2 comming out, what will it do that the first one didn't?

bullet2.gif

I've got your number!!
Super(ST)Trooper copyright 1999
Women are like a dead end street! Once you go down that road,there's no way out!

RW

Nov 24, 1999
Sparks, Nevada USA
Visit site
For starters it will set you back about $400 USD. :)

I guess it will be around a 30% improvement in speed over the geforce and maybe it has some new features, I don't really know.

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Hey it beats shelling out $600.00 like I am about to do with the Voodoo5 6000

bullet2.gif

I've got your number!!
Super(ST)Trooper copyright 1999
Women are like a dead end street! Once you go down that road,there's no way out!

LonlyWarrior|BuF

The Resurection
Apr 25, 2000
Uk..still
Visit site
Why keep buying VooDoo, doesn't everyone know they suck yet? Ok they look nice, err in 800 by 600. Now me ol' v770, looks nice enough, but... in 1024x768 32bit, and still gives me a steady 45 fps. Now considering i have an embarassingly slow AMD chip, thats a rockin performance for graphics.

BURN VOODOO BURN, hehe, err did i say i hate VOODOO (shoulda been call HOODOO if you ask me lol)

bullet2.gif

To be unable to take one's own enemies, accidents, and
misdeeds seriously for long -- that is the sign of strong and rich
natures. Such a man simply shakes off with one shrug much vermin
that would have buried itself deep into others; here alone is it also
possible -- assuming it is possible at all on earth -- that there be
real "love of one's enemies."

TheRock

The Official BuF MASCOT
Nov 10, 1999
Smackdown Hotel
members.ud.com
The Rock has only one recommendation to make.. Get the Voodoo 5500. IF your a hardcore UT player like the great one.. This is the card for you. And if you have millions and millions of dollars in your pocket..
Get the Voodoo 5 6000.

And see what its like to run UT at 1280x1024@32bit color at 80FPS.

That's right its that fast. :)
Also The Rock likes FSAA. Its something that makes and immediate effect. As in NOW,Not tomorrow.. not next week not 5 months from now!

Cause Its been proven.. T&L doesn't matter as much as NVIDIA said it mattered. Those who bought a Geforce 8 months ago.. still can't walk into a store and buy 20 games that have T&L support!

IF your going to be purchasing a High-End CPU.. then T&L is less and less of an issue.
Period.

The Rock has spoken.

bullet2.gif

IF YA SMELL LA! LA! LA!
WHAT THE PU MASCOT IS....
........... Cooking!

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
If you have a V3 and got a GeForce you might need to change some bios settings. There are some things that make the V3 run faster, but slow down the GeForce. Check out http://www.tweak3d.net . Click on tweaks, and find GeForce.

Also don't forget that UT runs best in Glide, that's what it was made for. You should be able to get close to the same performance with a DDR GeForce though (I think). Any game that doesn't have superior Glide support over OpenGL and D3D (the vast majority) will be faster on the GeForce, and look better too.

F

[F-U]Ruffrider

I've decided to say the hell with it. I dont care what other people are saying. I'm getting my damn V5 5500 :).

bullet2.gif

AKA [Ci]Ruffrider
"My House!"

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
One thing; if you're *only* going to be playing UT, by all means, stay with the Voodoo line. But if you have a balanced collection of games, well, I'd look around a bit more. Personally, I'm lusting for the GeForce2 w/ 64mb RAM. I'm working on a 2nd mortgage loan to upgrade my vehicles and my system, so what the heck, why not, eh? :)

Right now, the GeForce seems to have the upper hand. And at a price of 400 bucks versus a proposed 600 for the V5 6000, it also appears to be a better deal. Voodoo has the upper hand with FSAA (that point, at least, is not in dispute), but I don't play games in 32 bit mode simply because of speed *now* and I can't believe that FSAA, as gorgeous as it will be, will lure me to use during gaming circumstances.

But don't take my word for it. Look at a site where they compare the cards side by side, such as this one: http://uk.won.net/core/news/reviews_previews/000428/nv15_vs_voodoo5/index.html

Regards from Wisconsin,

bullet2.gif

------------------
Phydeaux|PuF
Wisconsin, USA
------------------