56 modem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

amoamimama

Jun 24, 2001
Visit site
i am from colombia and i have a 56 k modem, is it possible to play with this speed, what servers should i look for, maximum players, maximum pings,

If there is anyone from colombia with a server i would like to know to play together.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
I'm in the UK and don't have any trouble finding servers (all in Europe ... better for me 'cause they're local) where I can play with a ping around 200-250 against people who mostly have a similar ping...

With the prevalence of broadband in North America is it difficult for you guys to find other 56k-ers to fight? If I try playing on a North American server against a bunch of ADSLers I quickly become frag-fodder....

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
I think you have a misconception about the numbers of broadband users in the United States.

The September 2000 statistics show that of the households with an internet connection, only 11% were broadband (330,000 xDSL users and 1.6 million Cable Modem users), although that number is rising rapidly.

What you tend to see, however, is that the more ... "fanatical" ;) ... gamers tend to go with the best equipment possible: Fast processors, video cards and broadband. And since broadband means that they don't tie up the phone line, they tend to be online more.

Not that any of this helps stop them from stomping on you.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
I just picked up a nice hardware modem and ping an average of 200 to many servers. I still find myself to be on the bottom of the barrel pingwise, going up against peeps in the 50-100 range, but 56K is definitely playable.

anterobs

Fast and Furious
Mar 5, 2001
Porto Alegre - RS
www.geocities.com
If you can get a good connection, you could try this server:

[CSHP] UOL-UT-DeathMatch\200.230.198.9\7778\False

It's the fastest server in Brazil, as far as I know.

I don't know if you're going to be able to play there, sisnce it's full of broadband users (once one guy with ping 32 was owning everybody there :rolleyes: ).

I simply don't play online. My connection is alaways crap. I can hardly manage to get a ping below 300. :(

Originally posted by el Gato
I just picked up a nice hardware modem and ping an average of 200 to many servers. I still find myself to be on the bottom of the barrel pingwise, going up against peeps in the 50-100 range, but 56K is definitely playable.

:eek: What kind of modem do you use? Have you used some tweak or anything to get a 200 ping? Or is something with your ISP?

My modem is hardware too (at least I belive it is), a Motorola, but my connection is WAY worse, and in fact, my old USR winmodem seemed faster than it...

Last edited:

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
I have a Diamond SupraExpress 56i, an ISA hardware modem, and my pings have been cut in half (400 to 200 on average). I also get next to no disconnections and very little PL/Lag associated with my connection. Of course, I still get it if the server lags out.

Price was only $19 + shipping. Check out www.sonicblue.com's Steals and Deals section if you have a free ISA slot. It's listed as SupraExpress 56i V.90 Voice Modem - Bulk Com2 JMP.

If purchased, you'll need to download updated drivers from the Diamond (ie Sonic Blue) website as the ones that come with the modem are dated. They also have a flash upgrade for it. Both are free, of course.

The only tweak I have used for this modem is the addition of teh string S202=32S95=1. This tells the modem to ignore analog/digital conversions which normally causes the modem to retrain down to a lower speed. (Thanks to Xyad for explaining that one to me. :))

ASMDstick

Mar 22, 2001
Visit site
ELSA microlink 56k internet external serial is my modem , love that thingy , ping at 130-150 on fav servers , better than some cable guys :)

T

Terminal {DTH}

YES! now that i got rid of that corrupt win98 op sys i FINALLY have full broadband capibilities. before even with my dsl i was still only getting 56k downloads. no WONDER i kept lagging out! =)-

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Originally posted by DeaJae
im finding more servers which i pinged good on, are now optimizing for isdn/cable users. like hello, 70 % of players are still 56k????
I know what you mean. I sometimes play on 'The Drunken Snipers' but lately the servers have been kicking me if my ping spikes too high for too long. :(

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I simply don't play online. My connection is alaways crap. I can hardly manage to get a ping below 300

My connection is rarely below 350 and all I do is play online. I don't know how much of a diference a 100 ping would make but I seem to manage alright as long as I don't get spikes when it goes from 600 to 10000 for no particular reason.

anterobs

Fast and Furious
Mar 5, 2001
Porto Alegre - RS
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by MÆST

My connection is rarely below 350 and all I do is play online. I don't know how much of a diference a 100 ping would make but I seem to manage alright as long as I don't get spikes when it goes from 600 to 10000 for no particular reason.

Well, used to play Quake 2 with a ping of 350, but everybody else had a similar ping, so it was possible and funny to play. :)

If there are guys getting pings around 50, you'll hardly be able to get some frag, since you're not playing in "real-time" compared to these guys - I'm often killed without even know from where the shot came. :p

And sometimes these guys laughed on "how bad I am playing UT". :rolleyes:

But now I'm a member of the [PING400!] clan, and nobody dare to say "you play like a dog" :rolleyes: to me - actually I believe it may be a shame to a guy with ping 50 be fragged by somebody with the [PING400!] clan tag in his nick. :D

(*) Actually there is not a clan called PING400!, I've just got the idea of use this tag to see its effect, and it may work, since nobody seems to feel like mentioning how "bad" I am. :)