goodness gracious I'm such a Llama!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chillypacman

Dec 19, 2005
I wasnt sure were to post this ;)

Anyway, I played the original unreal tournament goty on a celeron 633mhz + onboard graphics, very playable, went through the whole thing (first fps I finished) though I did use god mode for the final boss guy cos he was friggin impossible! Anyway, ut 2003 comes out and I'm stilll running 633mhz onboard graphics combo (go me), game runs, at ~10 fps, thats when I'm looking at hte ground and running! Hell I finished that game also (without god mode this time).
Got a new PC, ut 2003 runs perfect, now I'm actually playing the game and have decided it 'suxorz' too much, so I'm going to go and get unreal tournament 2004.

Umm, I suppose all I want to do is ask a simple question before I spend the few dollars it requires to buy ut 2004: 1) does it havea dvd edition? 2) How is the play different from the older ones? 3) Are the bots smarter in it than in ut 2003?

thanks all :D

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
2) And Assault.
3) Smarter than UT2003, yes, but not smart by any stretch of the imagination. They can lift jump, do ramp dodges, move around a map by dodge jumping, move from point to point while not moving in a completely straight line, and dodge every projectile you throw at them by doing things you cannot physically replicate. While they have horrible shock/lightning aim, they make up for it by having inhumanly accurate close-range accuracy with flak, link, minigun, and goo, and thus, aren't very fun to play with. :p

Also, UT2004 runs better than UT2003 did, so you should see a framerate increase.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
To illustrate the "inhuman qualities" of the bots, I was playing some TDM with a second bot as a team mate, and I could literally follow him around to know where the other bot team would appear. A second or two before they would come around a corridor, he would begin shooting his link or mini.

It's also fun to run around on a level above the bot. You can actually look down and see the floor glowing green where you are standing because he is shooting directly up at you (completely out of line-of-site, mind you) with his link gun.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Personally I miss UT's bots. They seemed far more human to me, and were a lot more fun to play with and against. Not to mention they seemed to have a lot more personality to me, and you knew that if loque was on the other team you were in for a hard fight, and you could always count on certain bots to snipe on Face, things like that. Maybe it's just because of UT's voicepacks and skins, I'm not really sure. One thing I'd bet though is that the AI quality suffered greatly in UT200x since dodgejumps and walldodges etc. are much harder to accurately replicate than single dodges and jumps.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
CyMek said:
Personally I miss UT's bots. They seemed far more human to me, and were a lot more fun to play with and against. Not to mention they seemed to have a lot more personality to me, and you knew that if loque was on the other team you were in for a hard fight, and you could always count on certain bots to snipe on Face, things like that.

In other words, they would actually defend a flag, instead of crouching nearby and ignoring half the attackers that come into the base. The UnrealScripted-blah-blah-blah just doesn't work. I don't understand it, and evidently neither do the bots.

ALG said:
Gee, someone should make a mod to bring that good old UT feeling back but on the 2k4 engine...

Actually, this is a big thing missing from UTR. For instance, it's just not November without that bot standing on the crate by the blue flag. I don't know if it's fixable though.

Last edited:

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
The UTR alpha was designed for online play, to get a bugtest and to get some community input. I actually can not say if AI code will ever make it into UTR, since UT2007 might be out before then. if we do change the AI code, it will be one of the last things we do.

In other words, they would actually defend a flag, instead of crouching nearby and ignoring half the attackers that come into the base. The UnrealScripted-blah-blah-blah just doesn't work. I don't understand it, and evidently neither do the bots.

I have read tutorial after tutorial trying to figure out how to get this to work in my maps. Apparently in my last released map, I had 6 identical defense actors per base, 3 of which worked in each base. I also miss having the UT bots just kinda work. It feels like I'm holding their hands and dragging them through the map. I had to set up a volume and a number of actors to tell tehm "Don't use the flack cannon longrange, monkies" and then some assault pathes (Which apparently don't work) to get them to use more than one route. :\

If you want Nuttella, we can play some UTR and I'll stand on that crate for ya. :p

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
DVD version is a must-have though.

I still don't quite know how Epic managed to make their bots dumber in their newer games.

UT2004 overall is a much better game than UT2003. It's a lot more like the original UT than UT2003 was.

chillypacman

Dec 19, 2005
Well if I recall the original unreal tournament was one of the best games I ever played, I'm assuming I enjoyed that game so much I really didnt care about the bot AI that much.

I dont htink the bots are dumber, perhaps they only appear that way?