Sunset Beach Frontline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Sunset Beach is one of the best XMP maps ever... But the cave and the beach are two very separate battlegrounds. It's almost like two maps in one.

So I split it.

First up is the beach part. No more caves. I put a teleporter at the back of the base that goes to the laser cannon building, utilizing it as the secondary route instead of the cave.

To prevent the beach (where all gens are) from being completely locked down by one team, I replaced the deploy point with a 3rd generator. It is a hard decision to remove a deploy point, but the new teleporters compensate that by giving very quick access from base back dp.

Finally I put an ammo station beside the back dp (there used to be one in the basement). Techs can spam turrets and gas around base all they want. And snipers in the cannon building can teleport back for a quick reload.
*edit* this feature was (accidentally) excluded in the current release.

The idea originally was to make the excellent stock maps more playable for small number of players we now get, and I hope I have succeeded this time. What I didn't expect was the change I made may have given new strategies to the beach.

It's not just Sunset Beach without caves - it's Sunset Beach Frontline!
http://members.shaw.ca/takwu/XMP/XMP-SunsetBeachFrontline.zip

Last edited:

Killinya

[BBF]Killinya
Feb 2, 2004
Avail for Play on BBF.

Comment: Flame could be added to ports for consistency with other ports in the map..

Be an interesting map to play with a dozen peaps...

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Yeah the infamous ParticleSalamander system... Forgot to mention about it. I just copy-and-pasted the teleporters from the garage. And the ParticleSalamander didn't just work like that. It doesn't show properly in UnrealEd, and when playing it sometimes shows up, but off center. Most of the time they don't show at all. So I just took them out altogether. I tried to find out how to do it properly... But eventually gave up :(

Afterall I didn't wanna spend more than an afternoon to do this tiny project. Was just a distraction from my usual coding... At least it turned out pretty nicely. I agree that altho this is a "shortened" version of Sunset, it would work equally well with 2 players or with 16 players. Really big thx to BBF for putting it on their server! :D

Mar 6, 2004
Tak make the other maps smaller too. Alcazar top perhaps? maybe take the sides out of rampant or something, etc.

[jetronic]

Nov 14, 2005
Techs can spam turrets and gas around base all they want...:hmm: would be better to remove that station...

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Alcazar top is definitely doable, and I have a pretty good idea how to make it all work. When I thought about Rampant though, I would rather take out the middle instead. Anyone interested in the other half of Sunset (the cave)? I have ideas for other maps as well, but...

I'd rather go back to coding for now. I would do more maps if I get tired of coding once in a while (which is what happened when I did this map :D ). Meanwhile anyone good at mapping can give this a go. There is already a "Mini Garden" on Chaptor1 server, altho I would do Garden differently...

jetronic, I did hesitate when I said that. I hate spams as much as anyone. But that station, strictly speaking, only moved a little bit compared to the one in the original Sunset Beach (ammo station one level below). The amount of spams should be roughly the same as the original. On the other hand, if I didn't put the station there, Techs and Rangers at the base would have to run all the way to the hanger for ammo :(

Mar 6, 2004
Like i said, try and find a team to code xmp bots. It will take forever+1 to make bots by yourself.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
SunsetBeach is one of the best XMP maps ever...
While I disagree due to the notorious SunsetBeach mapholes both above and below-ground, as well as the incomplete mini-radar when you are in the corners of the map above-ground, I do appreciate your efforts. Thank you.

[jetronic];2163845 said:
Techs can spam turrets and gas around base all they want...:hmm: would be better to remove that station...
In my opinion, it would be better to leave that supply station, as well add 2 more gens (one in each corner of the mountains, so they take some work getting to). Otherwise you may as well remove the giant manned turrets, because they are near worthless due to the amount of energy they consume when fired.

PTCruiserGT

bInputDevice=touchpad :(
Feb 23, 2008
...SunsetBeach mapholes both above and below-ground, as well as the incomplete mini-radar when you are in the corners of the map above-ground...
Don't forget the map unbalance caused by the center deploy being closer to red base than blue base.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Killer I would love to have a team, but it might take even longer to get one in the first place :(

Bleeder you are welcome :) Altho I would trade excessive deployables for rarely manned turrets.

PTCruiserGT both the deploy point and generator in cave are closer to blue base to balance it in the original Sunset Beach. Altho in Frontline this balance is gone along with the cave, the dp is now a 3rd gen which should be less significant in comparison.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Hmm yeah if that 3rd gen is in the same spot as where the dp was, that could be a bit of a problem unless you move the gen more to the center of the map out there. Otherwise red will definitely be able to get there and hack that gen before blue.

I have an idea: You could put the generator on top of that beam that protrudes from the mountain. I believe that beam is more true to the center of the map than the little bunker/pad where the deploy was, and if you put the gen at the very end of the beam, it could actually be kinda fun trying to get there without falling or being shot off it.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
OOOOPS...

I just realized that the version I uploaded does not have those ammo stations.

Do I make another with the stations? Or leave it?

garbage

a.k.a. Del!Rium
Oct 23, 2005
Holland>all
www.tbc-xmp.co.uk
Tak make the other maps smaller too. Alcazar top perhaps?.

There are already numerous versions of this concept, HoC-TOP and all it's derivatives. I'm not great in remembering maps, but I guess smot or someone would know them.
I recall there being some darkish top map with 2 extra platforms above the base platforms with an extra dp.. Mysterytop or smth?

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
True, that's what I remembered right away. But they play very differently than Alcazar.

I would make one that is almost identical to the original Alcazar, without the bottom part. That's the theme here in Frontline - it's a conversion, not a creation.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I played your map today, thanks, I didn't know you made it lol.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Hi Leo! remember to come play tonight :)

Also I just loaded up HoC-Top for a quick reminder. Yeah it's the "base" area that's a bit too "creative" for me heheheheehe...

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
At which server? Chaptor?

EDIT: I'm afraid I can't................

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hmm, care to make the same for UTXMP? Would be a nice touch. Also you could try and add Ion Cannons instead of the GiantLowlandsTurrets :D And also path it with the normal AssaultPaths so bots would behave properly.
And by saying you copied the emitters (salamanders) you don't actually mean copy & paste, right? As the right way of copying is right click -> Duplicate.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Hi greatemerald, welcome back :)

I actually never played UTXMP... So I wouldn't try mapping for it :D I have no experience with pathing either. So if you want a UTXMP version, you'd have to ask someone else.

I can help only with explaining what I did in this map, which is pretty simple really! Remove some brushes and meshes at the back of base, and everything in the cave. Copy some meshes for the back walls where the openings used to be, and copy the set of brushes/meshes of a teleporter to the middle of that wall. Copy teleporter again to turret building. Link the teleporters. Change the mid dp and landmark to gen. Done!

I spent an afternoon last saturday to do that, but mainly to refresh my rudimentary UEd skills :D If you're a regular mapper you can do all that in half an hour, hehe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, it sounded and sounds simple. Pathing isn't a hard thing to do actually, add a few actors, change their ObjectiveTags to the Icon Node's and it's all set. Well, you can also use tools->Review Paths for even better path optimisation. And if you want to learn pathing, try pathing for UT2004 Assault Trials.