Slow Start Up.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Anarchy12034

Jan 30, 2005
Hey everyone I need some help. I just bought a copy of Unreal Tournament from a Used Book Store and I have been having a problem with how long it takes to start up. It's a new copy. It also is slow with all the mods I use IE; Infiltration. Anyway here's what happens. I get the Mod or Unreal Logo which sits there on my desktop for about 2 minutes. Then I get a blackscreen for about 1 minute. Then I get to the menu. This seems really slow compaired to all the other games on my computer. Ok heres my specs and don't laugh because they aren't very good: 2.8ghz Intel Celeron Processor. 256Mb ram. 64MB Intel Extreme Intergrated Graphics Chip. Windows XP. Ok well thats the important stuff. Hopefully you can help me.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Your processor should be plenty fast but Is that an onboard graphics your using? Also what 3d drivers are you selecting when the game boots up? The graphics drivers sometimes make the game not run right "specialy if your running on XP" But more so I'm concerned about the 64MB Intel Extreme Integrated Graphics Chip. Do you have any more specs on the chip? I'm not familiar with it , What its capable of? Check out this link.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdext/is_200312/ai_ziff114366

I was reading a little of it and it was talking about the onboard not working to well at even lower res. Its all a combination of what your using I think. rendor drivers/ chip?

Last edited:

Anarchy12034

Jan 30, 2005
My Graphics Chip is an Intel Extreme Graphics 845GV. I don't think it's a problem with the Graphics though. Because I don't think that would effect the start up.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
if its not powerfull enuff to do the rendering it would. more then likely its the drivers your useing. witch driver are you useing?

Anarchy12034

Jan 30, 2005
Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3889 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/20/2004 16:11:36, 37951 bytes

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I'm just curious, but which version of XP are you running?

If it's home, than 256 is just barely making the runnable limit for a game like UT. If it's XP Pro, then you're seriously lacking in free RAM.

Tell me, does the hard drive constantly swap when you start the game up?

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
hmm the startup you say?
The first thing to do is to remove the cityintro.
You can get rid of the intro by going into your unrealtournament.ini file (in the UT System folder) with Notepad or some text editor and, where it says "LocalMap=CityIntro.unr", replace it with "LocalMap=UT-Logo-Map.unr".

Also the standard procedures, Patch to 436 and update your drivers ;)
And how do you play UT? Window/fullscreen, and direct3d/software?