Real Life locations in Computer games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
I love computer games (especially FPS) that use real life locations. But which games have the most authentic and accurate real locations?? Are there many maps out for the Unreal series that are accurately rendered real locations?

Deus Ex is pretty good ... I've visited Liberty Island, the paths and stuff were as they are in the game: but the inside was quite different. The main room at the bottom with the torch was smaller, but had 3 levels instead of 2. Obviously the game added the large walls round the outside of the island (I guess in response to terrorist threats mentioned in the game).

I've been in the Paris Catacombs which are awesome, I'd love to visit more of them than just the tourist route... Apparently there's about 300km/200 miles of tunnels under the city (search for "Cataphiles" and you can probably find some maps by groups that do "urban speleology).

Some of the other locations seemed weird though. You have a huge mansion with only 2 bedrooms!!!!!!!!!! I know they want to limit stuff to keep the complexity of the game manageable, but there are limits....

Lewis

May 1, 2003
obviously, the 2 big types of games that feature real life locations are racing games (touring cars, F1, motogp, rally, etc...) and the flightsim series

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
STALKER: Oblivion Lost is based around chernobyl, having used aerial photography to map it out exactly. Also the gfx engine's meant to be awesome :)

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Mxtrmntr said:
I think the same developer did a German version of this, featuring Berlin, Cologne, Munich... o_O
That would be Davilex. They also made A2 Racer, where u race in and from Amsterdam to The Hague. Incredibly dull games tho.

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
Illusion Of Time, a SNES RPG. You come across places like the Inca ruins, the Great Pyramids, Ankor Wat and ultimately the Tower of Babel. These are not all locations in the game though, and you visit a lot more places collecting mystic artifacts. The game allows to switch between a boy with telekinetic powers, a dark knight and a shadow. (same player, three shapes)

[edit]
Freakiest. Boss. Ever.
darkgaia.jpg

[/edit]

Last edited:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Flight Simulator 2004 is about as close to showing the real world as you can get right now for a computer game. The entire Earth is in the game, although some of the locations are out dated, like the town I live in is a layout of the town from 12 years ago in FS2k4, so a lot of things are missing.

But all the major cities for example are very accurate.

Lewis

May 1, 2003
tool, they're not gunna take a photo of your house just to put in the game ;)

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
_Zd_Bee_ said:
Doesn't Grand Theft Auto use real cities? I thought Vice City was Miami.

Nope, fictional cities based on realistic locations. Vice City is basically what 80's Miami would look like, but layouts are different. Liberty City in GTA1 was New York City like in its layout, but the layout was abandoned in GTA3.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
tool said:
The entire Earth is in the game

You mean the entire earth texture. No way in hell it has the bajillions of buildings and structures all over the place. And no way in hell that every building is detailed and high polygon like in real life ;)