Like it or don't

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Here's my idea. I know some people would think that it suck and that i am just a 14 years old child with non-sence idea and would never become a game designer of his life.

But seriously, IF they make a grenade luncher, i'd like to see the grenade luncher secondary as a EMP shock grenade. It would look like the BR ball with electicity effect around it. It's pretty much simple. The EMP shock grenade is not spamable, and would have a delay of 6 seconds after each shot.
The EMP shock grenade is mainly used to JAM vehicles, THAT are camping. Bassically, once the grenade is shot, it stick "in the air" where it hit the vehicle, then the ball would open slowly to then detonate after 1.5-2 seconds. The splash damge would be very small, if the vehicle is hit it canot move for 6 seconds, and the player is weak'ed up by the device. Meaning that he is moving slowly for a short period of 6 seconds like the vehicle. This would only work in Vehicle game types. NOT DM. All the vehicle camping would be weak against this weapon. The scorpion and other vehicles that are fast would be too fast for the device. the trick would be to shot where you think the vehicle is going on the ground. The manta would be extremely weak against the splash damge and the spinners would stop runing if the device gets to hit it, the manta would spin on the ground like a coin thrown on a wood table.

I love this idea.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I think it would be suitable for the game itself. Epic's latest idea in ut2004 was a gun that shots spider mines :rolleyes:, spider mines that are used to spam the whole level or flags/objectives.

While the EMP grenade would kill the vehicle camping. Mainly with hellbender camping, and tank camping.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
could be fun... could also work as a painted iweap like the ion painter did, temporarily disrupt vehicles and turrets etc. prob will be a mutator if you post about it enuff ;)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I like the 'EMP painter' idea aswell, indeed.

Making a mutator for seems to be easy but thinking about it in details, it's quite not. There would be 2 kind of splash damage, the smaller one would be for ground vehicle, and the bigger one would be for flying/non-ground vehicles.

The manta's fan would stop spinning to then 'crash' on the ground bouncing like a rock thrown on water horizontaly. It would require a huge patience and good knowledge for coding as far as i imagine, making the manta's fan stop spinign while the player is still in the vehicle must be complex.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
The secondary fire would blow up the grenades, the primary fire plants them. You can't have more than 2 fire modes, or at least I hope not. I don't even know if there's a grenade launcher anymore anyway since the rocket launcher has the grenade function again. The grenade launcher in UT2004 was the least used weapon.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Kantham said:
I think it would be suitable for the game itself. Epic's latest idea in ut2004 was a gun that shots spider mines :rolleyes:, spider mines that are used to spam the whole level or flags/objectives.

While the EMP grenade would kill the vehicle camping. Mainly with hellbender camping, and tank camping.

Better yet, you could use the EMP grenade to take out several spider mines at once!

I suggested an EMP-AVRIL on a thread awhile back, but grenades could work too.

I reckon they should put the Bio rifle to good use in ONS and Warfare, by allowing it to stick to vehicles and slowly burn through them, or by causing tires to be burst.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Kantham said:
I like the 'EMP painter' idea aswell, indeed.

Making a mutator for seems to be easy but thinking about it in details, it's quite not. There would be 2 kind of splash damage, the smaller one would be for ground vehicle, and the bigger one would be for flying/non-ground vehicles.

The manta's fan would stop spinning to then 'crash' on the ground bouncing like a rock thrown on water horizontaly. It would require a huge patience and good knowledge for coding as far as i imagine, making the manta's fan stop spinign while the player is still in the vehicle must be complex.
I don't think it should be too hard to make it as a mutator, I can't see a command to just deactivate the vehicle temporarily being hidden away in the depths of Uscript, although I must confess It doesnt leep out at me looking at the cehicle code. 2 splash damages shouldn't be necessary imo. One would be enough, there will be people who can take out raptors + mantas with it, don'tforget you would still have the avril to target them.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
No avril, no detonator.

Pariah got me dead with the detonator style, The EMP would be a grenade luncher effective against vehicle and infrantry, mainly used in ONS and VCTF.
The grenade luncher would do more damge to infrantry shield other than health, the grenade luncher secondary would be the EMP grenade.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
I think the idea of an EMP grenade, which will basically render a vehicle defenseless for a period of time, would make it far too easy to take out vehicles. If you're carrying a powerful weapon, like the flak cannon, all you'd have to do is just rush it after a succesful hit and it'll be taken down in seconds.

I think if this idea is to work, it should only disable either the weapons or the engine, meaning the vehicle would either be able to escape (or trying to run you over of course) or be able to defend itself. I'd prefer disabling the weapons.

I realize it technically wouldn't be an EMP grenade then, but if anyone was to implement this idea into a mutator then I think it would be alot more balanced.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The weapons eh? I like the idea.

Sounds good, but as i mentioned,

Kantham said:
Bassically, once the grenade is shot, it stick "in the air" where it hit the vehicle, then the ball would open slowly to then detonate after 1.5-2 seconds.

It would only be effective against defensive vehicles. Like for example, someone standing in the rear hellbender turret. The emp grenade would

Kantham said:
stick "in the air" where it hit the vehicle

So the player would either, be forced to leave the vehicle, or

Kantham said:
the player is weak'ed up by the device. Meaning that he is moving slowly for a short period of 6 seconds like the vehicle.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Majik- said:
I think the idea of an EMP grenade, which will basically render a vehicle defenseless for a period of time, would make it far too easy to take out vehicles. If you're carrying a powerful weapon, like the flak cannon, all you'd have to do is just rush it after a succesful hit and it'll be taken down in seconds.

I think if this idea is to work, it should only disable either the weapons or the engine, meaning the vehicle would either be able to escape (or trying to run you over of course) or be able to defend itself. I'd prefer disabling the weapons.

I realize it technically wouldn't be an EMP grenade then, but if anyone was to implement this idea into a mutator then I think it would be alot more balanced.

It's a good idea. On the notion of EMP grenades that disable vehicles, it's also good to consider that perhaps in some vehicles, the player can't escape the vehicle during an EMP shock, based on the theory that most doors in the future are electronically open. If you disable the electricity in a vehicle door... Well, you get the idea.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
I'm sure vehicles in the future will have manual opening, for safety reasons of course! Trapping the players inside a vehicle so they're defensless doesn't make for enjoyable gameplay.

When the EMP shuts down the vehicle, its momentum should be kept going, and steering still possible. Link should fix vehicle twice as fast.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Good way of bashing noobs though. I'm pretty sure Epic has that kind of plan in mind. ;-)

And as far as manual opening goes, someone would have to explain to me why there are "locked" vehicles in Unreal Tournament 2004 even though there are cleraly hinges on each vehicle that you can open, or blow open the locks if need be.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Again, you're nitpicking on things you don't have to. People don't like that here. This is the FOURTH time I've gone over that with you.

My previous post obviously implicated a rhetorical question, which you failed to assess correctly.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Kantham said:
Here's my idea. I know some people would think that it suck and that i am just a 14 years old child with non-sence idea and would never become a game designer of his life.

But seriously, IF they make a grenade luncher, i'd like to see the grenade luncher secondary as a EMP shock grenade. It would look like the BR ball with electicity effect around it. It's pretty much simple. The EMP shock grenade is not spamable, and would have a delay of 6 seconds after each shot.
The EMP shock grenade is mainly used to JAM vehicles, THAT are camping. Bassically, once the grenade is shot, it stick "in the air" where it hit the vehicle, then the ball would open slowly to then detonate after 1.5-2 seconds. The splash damge would be very small, if the vehicle is hit it canot move for 6 seconds, and the player is weak'ed up by the device. Meaning that he is moving slowly for a short period of 6 seconds like the vehicle. This would only work in Vehicle game types. NOT DM. All the vehicle camping would be weak against this weapon. The scorpion and other vehicles that are fast would be too fast for the device. the trick would be to shot where you think the vehicle is going on the ground. The manta would be extremely weak against the splash damge and the spinners would stop runing if the device gets to hit it, the manta would spin on the ground like a coin thrown on a wood table.

I love this idea.

I was thinking along these lines......but with the LG. Give the LG a weak EMP effect if it hit a vehicle. I mean, its A FREAKING BOLT OF LIGHTNING! Shouldn't that screw up the vehicle's controls a little bit. The effect wouldn't be huge, BUT it would stack if multiple people used the LG on a vehicle...enough so that it would shut down completely (for like 20 seconds or something) if enough shots hit it in a short enough time.

Making people's movement shake a bit when being hit by the LG would be hilarious though probably REALLY annoying. Perhaps temp partial deafness and a flash if you get hit by the LG. As a balance though you may want to reduce overall DMG or fire rate (though that is really low as it is).

P.S. sorry to hijack your thread.....back to your idea.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
neilthecellist said:
Again, you're nitpicking on things you don't have to. People don't like that here. This is the FOURTH time I've gone over that with you.

My previous post obviously implicated a rhetorical question, which you failed to assess correctly.

Actually you were the one nitpicking about the "locked vehicle". I didn't think you post was obvioulsy rhetorical. I was going to respond about the same way gregori did but he beat me to it. And what's the point of pointing out any of this? (blah blah ...you're nitpicking... blah blah).

I can see where this is gonna go and just like the other threads Im going to say "Just stop right now and leave it."

Kantham: Neat idea, but it just sounds too complex. There are soo many variables and exclusive conditions that would make this a nightmare for new (heck even veteran) players to learn how to use it effectively.

See my post about the LG (above). If we gave the ShR reduced dmg over distance and let the LG slow vehicles both would be very unique and have different uses.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
neilthecellist said:

Sorry to be ironic, but isn't 'nitpicking' spelled as knit-picking!

Seriously though!, i am not, I was merely saying that many things would be possible in the real world (ie. Blowing the handle of a door to gain access)
and that they are not included in games, because they interfere with fun gameplay. This is whats called a 'gameplay device'.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Kharnellius said:
I was thinking along these lines......but with the LG. Give the LG a weak EMP effect if it hit a vehicle. I mean, its A FREAKING BOLT OF LIGHTNING! Shouldn't that screw up the vehicle's controls a little bit. The effect wouldn't be huge, BUT it would stack if multiple people used the LG on a vehicle...enough so that it would shut down completely (for like 20 seconds or something) if enough shots hit it in a short enough time.

Making people's movement shake a bit when being hit by the LG would be hilarious though probably REALLY annoying. Perhaps temp partial deafness and a flash if you get hit by the LG. As a balance though you may want to reduce overall DMG or fire rate (though that is really low as it is).

P.S. sorry to hijack your thread.....back to your idea

Your ideas are welcome.
I would personaly hate having the lightning weak up the vehicle. Mainly, we all do undersntad that the lightning gun is a super-powered rifle that shoots thunders, and who say thunders also say "please do not swim in water or touch metal"

But this is unreal, and the main thing i hate about the game is the hitscan domination.

8 ways to screw up UT2007 said:
Part of the fun of the original UT was spam -- the fact that a newbie can jump onto a public server and get a couple of kills with the Flak Cannon. While UT2003/4 may have pleased the pro-gaming crowd by putting greater emphasis on accuracy, in the end it's the opinion of the average gamer and not the hardcore pro that will make or break Unreal Tournament 2007.

Hitscans will be effective to death against infrantry, especialy from long distance. NOW, if the lightning has to be effective against vehicles the game is completely retarded.