Original Fallout game is free on GOG for the next 48 hours

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
can't bring myself to do it.

enjoyed Fallout 3 and NV a lot.
know that FO1 is considered a legend by most people that played it, universal critical praise, etc.

certain it's a great game.
but I can't do it.

point and click, top-down Isometric.
can't do it lol...
still have current gen games that I haven't finished and they'll always take precedent. this is pretty much the same reason why I've never played Diablo.

free is a good deal though :eek:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin

know that FO1 is considered a legend by most people that played it, universal critical praise, etc.

but I can't do it.

coulda' get at least discouraged in the rat cave ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You just add it to your gog.com account. There is no reason not to acquiesce.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
A game like Diablo, why bother when there is Torchlight and DIII, but there is really nothing like Fallout on the market today, so you really should at least pick it up FOR FREE in case you ever feel like experimenting with the old gal

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000

but I can't do it.

point and click, top-down Isometric.
can't do it lol...
still have current gen games that I haven't finished and they'll always take precedent. this is pretty much the same reason why I've never played Diablo.

free is a good deal though :eek:

It's better than any current gen game you could possibly be playing right now.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
yeah yeah I know.
that's what everyone says.

it's not that I don't believe them.
I just don't care.

I can't bring myself to sit down and get started with such an old game looking at such old graphics. and typically I'm the first person to cry GAMEPLAY > GRAPHICS, because that's otherwise exactly what I believe. and I have no problem firing up old games that I'm already familiar with like Command & Conquer or Deus Ex or Duke or Doom. and I'm sure if I had already played the original Fallout it would have that same nostalgia attraction.

but since I never played it back in the day, I dunno, I can't do it now.
I'll probably never play the original Diablo or Fallout. I'd simply have to run out of modern games first.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I don't think it's nostalgia (for everyone, or the reason why people like Fallout in current times), I think it's just that you, personally, want both gameplay and some level of graphics UNLESS there is nostalgia. I had never played a FF game until I beat FF6 like 3 years ago. A good game is simply a good game, it had nothing to do with nostalgia. :eek:

For you, it's probably that the only time you're able to forgive bad graphics is if you DO have that nostalgia. Yeah, you could care about gameplay more than graphics, but you still need some level of graphics. :p

Edit: edited after Jacks next post to clarify

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
no. it's nostalgia.
if I wanted both then I wouldn't install old ass games like C&C or GTA 2, etc.
there's a handful of titles I can't live without including Duke 3D and DOOM.

terrible graphics by all standards.
but I know them. I already admitted that nostalgia plays a role.

and it's role is much larger than the presence (or lack of) advanced visuals.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Well I'm just saying there's a possible nostalgia factor for you, but it doesn't have to be for everyone. Like I said I played FF6 without having played any other FF game, how was nostalgia involved there? ><

I'm sure I would love Fallout even if I hadn't played it back in the day. I love FF6. I love Minecraft. I probably will love (or at least like and be able to play) Dwarf Fortress when I end up trying it out eventually. :eek:

That's all, I wasn't sure if you were implying nostalgia has to do with everyone else still liking Fallout in the current year? Cause like I said, in my opinion I don't think nostalgia is the deciding factor in that.

Last edited:
If you haven't played Fallout you owe yourself a shot at it. I hate to admit that the gameplay hasn't aged as well as some of the epic JRPGs from the 90s (FF6 and Chrono Trigger are still fantastic and stand as a testament of what the genre is missing nowadays) but it's still one of those games that did things differently and is the first time I remember using apathy as a survival trait in those kinds of games (like walking away from a bandit den when these female sex slaves were begging me for help. I couldn't save them!)

As much as I enjoy the latest Fallout games there's a certain dark element none of the Fallout sequels have touched since 1. It was also the first RPG I played where I felt like I was being treated like an adult and not some plucky kid destined to save the world.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
If you haven't played Fallout you owe yourself a shot at it.

you might actually like fo1.

no that's not it :(

it's not that I don't think I'll like it. I'm sure I would.
it's not that I don't believe people when they say it's en epic game. I'm sure it is.

but like, I dunno man, it's just old enough that I can't see myself starting it.
with a video game it's different than movies or music. in both respects I tend to enjoy classics a little more than the current generation.

but a game you have to get in to.
especially one like Fallout. I'm aware that it's quite a long journey. the payoff doesn't come within 3 minutes or 2 hours (music/movies). and being that I have no memorable memories of playing Fallout in it's prime - when you had no choice because every game used isometric sprites in the 90's - it's not something that I feel like starting now. I guess it's hard to explain why that feeling is.

I'm afraid that I would treat it like a book that you pick up and put down periodically.
some people can read like that and enjoy the product and get all the important nuggets out of it. I can't do that. I have to read straight through one book at a time, it's just me. and aside from the occasional mutliplayer game (usually Madden, FIFA, or CoD with friends; I rarely play online games alone) I tend to play right through one adventure at a time, basking in the experience, to feel immersed. I don't like to break it up.

at this point I don't see myself finding the time or mustering the will power to start and play through FO1. same goes for Diablo, Baulder's Gate, etc. if I don't already have the nostalgic connection of playing those titles in their prime then I don't seem to have the drive to begin them now.

shrug.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
no that's not it :(

it's not that I don't think I'll like it. I'm sure I would.
it's not that I don't believe people when they say it's en epic game. I'm sure it is.

but like, I dunno man, it's just old enough that I can't see myself starting it.
with a video game it's different than movies or music. in both respects I tend to enjoy classics a little more than the current generation.

but a game you have to get in to.
especially one like Fallout. I'm aware that it's quite a long journey. the payoff doesn't come within 3 minutes or 2 hours (music/movies). and being that I have no memorable memories of playing Fallout in it's prime - when you had no choice because every game used isometric sprites in the 90's - it's not something that I feel like starting now. I guess it's hard to explain why that feeling is.

I'm afraid that I would treat it like a book that you pick up and put down periodically.
some people can read like that and enjoy the product and get all the important nuggets out of it. I can't do that. I have to read straight through one book at a time, it's just me. and aside from the occasional mutliplayer game (usually Madden, FIFA, or CoD with friends; I rarely play online games alone) I tend to play right through one adventure at a time, basking in the experience, to feel immersed. I don't like to break it up.

at this point I don't see myself finding the time or mustering the will power to start and play through FO1. same goes for Diablo, Baulder's Gate, etc. if I don't already have the nostalgic connection of playing those titles in their prime then I don't seem to have the drive to begin them now.

shrug.

This is all pretty ridiculous. When stuff like this is free, you lose nothing by getting it. Pick it up, put in 30 minutes, and if you don't like it, put it down. I find it pretty much impossible to believe that you don't have a spare half hour.

Which isn't to say that I necessarily disagree. There are tons of "classic" videogames that I've never really played because I honestly can't deal with the outdated mechanics and the crap graphics. Games, unlike books or movies (made after the 30s) generally don't age well. They are still trying to find their voice, they are still growing in tech. A book from 1900 will be a different style than a book today, but will be expertly executed (provided it is a great book, obviously). A game from 1990 that was considered great will generally display tons of problematic flaws and obvious gaps in tech/writing/pacing/testing/etc.

I never played Planescape: Torment until a few years ago and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It is an isometric, shitty looking RPG from ages ago, but after 10 minutes of sheer distaste of how bad it looks (it looks really damned bad) I was hooked. On the other hand, playing something like Marathon makes me want to stab my eyes out. It may have been a classic, but judged against how far we've come, it is absolute garbage.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
you lose nothing by getting it. Pick it up, put in 30 minutes, and if you don't like it, put it down. I find it pretty much impossible to believe that you don't have a spare half hour.
like I said though, that's not really the point.

my reasoning isn't logic based.
I know that.

it's just how I feel.
I don't feel like getting it, installing it, or trying it.
I'm just not interested. I don't really care. it's too old now and I don't already have fond memories of it.

now of course I could spare a half-hour.
but when a spare half-hour comes up, trying Fallout 1 is pretty much the last thing I would think to do with that time. a spare 30 mins usually = playing my guitar, making a phone call, or catching up on episodes of the few network TV shows I follow (I watch them online, not when they air live).

all I can do is explain myself.
can't argue that it's illogical.