Tre - Last Life (Part 1) Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Constructed from almost completely custom content, Tre - Last Life promises to bring a brand-new singleplayer story-driven experience to Unreal Tournament 3. You can find more screens, a video, and information in the release thread or on its ModDB page.

TRE is all in all not only a UT3 modification but a whole new game. There is a completely new save and load system, a new KI, new enemies, a new story, only custom graphic sets, new music tracks and new weapons...and much more..."

Download now from ModDB or FilePlanet.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Looks pretty enough... though even after reading the ModDB description I still not sure what type of game it is. Guess I have to try it to find out.
"“Tre – Last Live” is the sequel of “Tre – The Spreading” and begins where the story of part one ends."

Destructive-Fly

Jul 30, 2004
Good to see a total conversion mod. I wish we were are nicely tucked in with UT3 as we were with UT99 when it comes to decent total conversion: Tactical Ops, ChaosUT, JailBreak, Operation Na Pali, Unreal Fortress Gold. God did I enjoy these games.

Destructive-Fly

Jul 30, 2004
You have been paying attention to the contest haven't you?

You're right, I haven't. But that said, I had a look through and apart from The Ball and your mod (neither of which I have tried, but downloaded both), nothing is up my ally like the aforementioned mods were. Also downloaded UT3JB (not played it yet).

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
You should check the MSU site, there are a lot of mods that have been submitted for this and past phases that haven't been advertised on the forums.

Ok, feedback.

- Enemies are really hard to see. You should contrast them with the world materials or highlight them in some other way. I would also work on a damage direction indicator, because with those two issues combined I couldn't tell where I was being hit from or by what.

- Remove collision on pickups. It's too easy to kick something out of your way when you're trying to pick it up. I couldn't find one of the first bunch of syringes because it went flying off when I tried to pick it up. Highlighting them like the enemies will make them easier to spot as well (think L4D, Bioshock etc).

- I couldn't get too far into it because it crashed. I looked at the log file and there are a lot of programming issues you need to clear up (a LOT of accessed nones).

The crash was caused by an infinite script recursion from a pickup falling out of the world when I was fighting those things coming out of the drill:
Critical: Tre2Spritze TRE-LastLifePart1.TheWorld:persistentLevel.Tre2Spritze_24 (Function N_WuTz_tre2.Tre2Pickup:FellOutOfWorld:0000) Infinite script recursion (250 calls) detected

The issues causing the most problems in the log:
ScriptWarning: Tre2Hud TRE-LastLifePart1.TheWorld:persistentLevel.Tre2Hud_0 (Function N_WuTz_tre2.Tre2Hud:DrawWeaponHud:001B) Accessed None 'Weapon'
You should check if(Weapon != none) before trying to access it.
Log: Putting StaticMeshComponent_73 to sleep
Log: Actor is asleep

ScriptLog: First Foot Down!!! FootStep1Emitter
ScriptLog: Second Foot Down!!! FootStep1Emitter
ScriptLog: Foot Down!!! 0
Debug logs like these should be commented out before you release.
ScriptWarning: Tre2NewStechController TRE-LastLifePart1.TheWorld:persistentLevel.Tre2NewStechController_0 (State N_WuTz_tre2.Tre2NewAIController:attackState:0288) GotoState (attackState Nix): Label not found
Missing a label in this state (one of the Begin: things).

I'm attaching my full log file for you, at most this should be 25kb when running a clean game.

Please fix up these issues, I'm curious to know what's after that drill. :)

Attachments

• Launch.txt
    622 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
There are some major, major technical problems with this mod, I did not crash where Angel did, instead I fell out of the map in the following underwater sequence, and it happens every time... I find the exit alright but there is NO terrain, It just doesn't exist. Objects are all there and I triggered a dialog sequence, but as soon as I hop out of the hole, I'm doomed to fall forever. For me the bullet time was broken too, all I saw was a screen full of impenetrable green patterns.

On top of the above mentioned things, from what I got to play there are a few things i'd take into consideration:

1. Remove pickup collisions. As said above, I can't stress how irritating this is trying to simply pick up ammo and kicking it around.
2. Proper hit indication. Again, with the enemies blending into the environment so much, I found myself taking a ton of hits and not being able to figure out where it was coming from.
3. Crosshairs! Unless I was getting /another/ glitch I had no crosshairs, making hitting anything ridiculous.
4. I was impressed how you could see your whole character from the FPV, but the arm itself sits awkwardly and there is no reload animation as far as I could see.

It's such a huge shame as it currently stands, because this TC actually looks like it could be great, the custom work is exceptional. I really hope work continues on this and you take note of all these issues.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I crashed playing this several times.

Not only that, but the angle of view on the gun is really bad, imo. Nobody hold s a gun perpendicular to their face :p And because of this it shows clipping errors constantly on the arm and reminds me almost exactly of that old Jurassic Park game, Trespasser, except it somehow looks even worse than that.

The enemies are ridiculously hard to see, ESPECIALLY in iron sights mode (which should make it easier to aim and shoot them, but the transition to iron sights is a hard transition, which is highly confusing, and in iron sights your view is post-processed up the wazoo so you can't tell a bush from a log.

The ammo system is impossible. I never knew how many clips I had left regardless of how many I picked up and I couldn't seem to manually reload my gun.

Picking up items is terribly unintuitive. I often had to run around things in circles tapping 'E' before it could even be picked up. There is no indication you are in range to pick it up.

Despite all these bad things, I still think the mod has a lot of potential. The menu system is really unique and cool. And if the gameplay were tweaked to something much better, it could be great.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
There are some major, major technical problems with this mod, I did not crash where Angel did, instead I fell out of the map in the following underwater sequence, and it happens every time... I find the exit alright but there is NO terrain, It just doesn't exist. Objects are all there and I triggered a dialog sequence, but as soon as I hop out of the hole, I'm doomed to fall forever. For me the bullet time was broken too, all I saw was a screen full of impenetrable green patterns.

ye, that was broken here too. i went exploring in "ghost" mode a bit and somehow unlocked the checkpoint after the water passage and loading from there worked. but then i stopped playing after i reached those cliffs with the graveyard down below. i would have jumped down but it was blocked off and i didnt feel like going the long way.

unrealer2

Nov 30, 2008
www.moddb.com
Ok, you are right;)

But there was a reason for the question mark:) But Anorganic would also fit...

Hopefully I will manage to release the patch within that week.

unrealer2

Nov 30, 2008
www.moddb.com
Patch 2 released!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/tre-last-life/news/tre-last-life-patch-2-released

Tre - Last Life --- Patch2 --- Changelist

Changes by [WuTz]!:

+ Fixed: All physical pickups, which are fallen out of the world will get destroyed now. THIS FIXES THOSE CRASHES!! Wohoo! Maybe...

+ Fixed: AmmoPickups do now have a PhysicalMaterial. This Material contains the weight and some other things <- UT doesn't wanted to compile that if I put it into the Default propertie, so I made an entry for that into the AmmoSpawner.

+ Fixed: Not a Bug, but I took all content out of my scripts, which isn't shipped with Tre2. I got over 50 compiler warnings :)

+ Fixed: The DeathCam-Ball doesn't have a shadow anymore

+ Fixed: The Stone- and the Dummyweapon are not loaded anymore (Because you get them, when you spawn)

+ Fixed: The Stone- and the Dummyweapon aren't given to the player very often anymore. I block now the Invetory add, when we have allready one of them. Fixes that you could have more than one Stone-Weapon (You needed a lot of time to scroll to the Sniperrifle for example, because you had lots of stones :( )

+ Fixed: The Bullet-hole effect code-line for those flying Tre was at the wrong location

+ Added: The player spawns now only at the beginning, and when you want to load. After Coding that, we can take out the Black screen, when you are dead, and you can watch your head rolling down the hill :)

+ Fixed: Some -1 were placed wrong in the Bag-Ammo code. It should now be corrected.

+ Added: I forgot to play the Say-Injection-Sounds... I wrote the code, but I forgot to tell UT the sounds. Damn! It works now...

+ Added: You can run now! I put it to the CROUCH-KEY. Ofc you can't shoot when you are runing, but your pulse will get a bit faster. Also you only can run FORWARD! Also we made new Run-Weapon-Arm-Animations! And ofc a system to switch between them :)

+ Changed: The Select-Slot-info-text-font isn't low-res anymore

+ Fixed: The Select-Slot-info-text isn't overlapping in low screen resolutions anymore

+ Changed: The background blood in the Midgame-menu is now moving. I had to add some stuff to the material which is independent to the Pause-function

+ changed: Same for all menu materials (pause-fix)

+ Added: Mouse movement will be slower, when you are running

+ Added: You will see a cool Speed-Motion-Blur effect when you are running :) Its strength is attached to your speed!

+ Added: Tre3UnstableStaticMesh. You won't see it. It will be in the second part of Tre-Last life. But I had to put it into my Tre2 package... forget about it :)

+ Added: Those flying creatures can now "Zoom". Look in its eyes, when its aiming at you...

+ Fixed: I made a ; in the DefaultProperties code from the Injections... Something was wrong. Now it is right :)

+ Added: When you are near to a pickup (Ammo, Injections, Weapons) a small Info-Text will appear, and you just have to press E. You don't need to aim at the pickup anymore! (Don't worry about that the text only comes, when you look at the Pickup!)

+ Added: Tre2-Keybindings are now saved into a Config file. I mean that input boxes in the Settings menu.

+ Added: Tre2-Keybindings will be set at levelstart. So UT3 does not overwrite you bindings whenever you change a level.

+ Removed: Removed the White-blend, when switching to the Aiming-Mode. There is an other effect now.

+ Removed: Removed Log-Spam, which was caused by an "Accesed none" in Menus or when loading

+ Removed: Reduced Log-Spam in the Load scene

+ Fixed: The Player says the Injection count now right. I've copied something and forgot to change it :( But it works now :)

Changes by unrealer2

+ Added: Information of the Version in the MainMenue

+ Changed: I added some emissive to the bullet time trail emitter

+ Fixed: CollisionBugs in Stream and Forest Map

+ Changed: I reposed the hand of player when holding the pistol

+ Added: Some effects and details

+ Fixed: When you loaded during the fight against the drill the drill checkpoint the drill flied