what?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
in my experience most mesh problems are solved by turning "simple Karma Collision" off in the mesh's properties, by assigning it a collision shape, or by sing blocking volumes.

I hope that's answered your question.

PS. use "show collision" to se if UnrealEd regards there being collision there. If simple karma collision is off it won't bother to render the collision entity because it is usually pretty much he same as the mesh.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
ok ,

i have a meshe that i have done in maya , (not collision on it) but like in ut2004 . if i shot on it , it colide , if i try to pass throught it , i won't

so , i did this funny snowman , i pass on whit my vehicle , and , Dang , i go like 500 feet in teh air ..

so my 'question' is

the meshes don't seem to need any collision at all!?
whit normal ut2004 vehicle , i would pass throught ,

no worry nico ,

i know ued since 3 years now , i have worked a long time on the 2.0 engine ,
i have all the ut series ,

i am working on 2 maps atm

one UWCTF and another UWRC
the ctf one don't have bot support for many reason like specials movers ...

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
ok i got it now ,

it don't collide , but
it kick the car when it is inside the meshe ....

simple enough ...

Last edited:

Fraggee_Rok

Yeeeehuh?
Ugh... the infernal Smesh-collision problem.
Today I spent ages (okay... 45 minutes) handcrafting some experimental road-sections, and whilst they look good and perform well if you drive like a sloth in an electric wheelchair (y'got an image now? :lol: ), the cars fall through them if you get at any angle where less than 4 wheels are touching the Smeshy ground.
So now I'm left to either get complicated with custom collision and / or blocking volumes, or make a map entirely from BSP-brushes (mmm... 2fps)
And don't even get me started on Smesh-movers and cars...
*rants on as he's dragged away*

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
do the collision your self ,

i got a custom 'lift for the CTF map i am working on
i want to get the mono thing to key 1 and comme back to key 0 , and do this all the time
WITH STAY OPENED TIME .. how ....

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
For most uneven UnWheel road surfaces, go into the mesh browser and look at the bottom, right below the material section, and you will see 3 collision settings; make them all false. This will make the engine calculate the collision using the entire surface of the mesh.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
usefull for road meshes like you said

>> what about texturing in maya :p <<

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Texturing can be a very individual experience, there are basic rules, but more freedom than you would think:) You can begin with the basic 3, planar, cylindrical and spherical mapping. These tools only show up on the right side of the shelf in modelling mode with polygons tools selected. But, it is not easy to do what you want with just these. Select the polys you are texturing, select the most appropriate of the 3 tools mentioned above, there is a numerical dialog box that can be used to enter the numbers that will allow the texture to wrap correctly. The trick is, after you have done this, open the UV Texture editor, and you will see your selected polys displayed over the texture map exactly as they will be applied. You can right click the selected polys in the UV editor and select UV from the pop up menu. Now marquee drag over the polys, and the change to yellow uv's instead of polys. You can now scale, rotate, move the uv's together or individually. A word of warning though, once you select uv's, all the unselected model parts show up on the UV editor in wireframe, making things confusing. While in the UV editor, hold your mouse over the different icons on the top, and a pop up will explain what the tool does.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
these tools only show up on the right side of the shelf in modelling mode with polygons tools selected

i know the shelf is the bar that i can customize myself , what about the polygon tool ..............

i am pretty noob to maya , i always use booleans and smooth tool , maybe a couple other , but .....

Attachments

• huh.JPG
    huh.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Fraggee_Rok

Yeeeehuh?
stevenhorton said:
For most uneven UnWheel road surfaces, go into the mesh browser and look at the bottom, right below the material section, and you will see 3 collision settings; make them all false. This will make the engine calculate the collision using the entire surface of the mesh.

Ahh yes - that worked like a dream :) Now the cars can do whatever they wish and yet stay on the surface.
Thank you, kind sir *salutes*

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Kantham, if you look at the menu on the top left, the one you have open, you can see it says: Curves Surfaces Polygons Subdivs Deformation and on. That will put the correct poly tools on the shelf.