Texture Lighting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr Roboto

Jul 6, 2001
Canada eh!
Visit site
I'm building a map that has several spiral staircases in it. The stairs have a sloped bottom to them. Before changing any of the texture properties the textures appear as triangles. I'm using a concrete texture and can pan the textures to eliminate contrast between the triangles. But there is a major difference when light is added.
Using Bright Corners does not fix the problem as it only works on the Floor/Ceiling surface not the Slant surface.
Using Unlit makes both surfaces appear the same which is good. :)
Now the problem of correct lighting effects does not work. I then tried using HighShadowDetail but that did nothing. :(
I've attached a picture showing one staircase without the textures altered and default lighting. The other picture shows another staircase with Unlit on and HighShadowDetail on. I also have added lighting to this staircase.
How can I get the bottom of the staircase smooth with the correct light/shadow effect?

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Try to align the textures.

(The brush is unncecessarily high-poly so the alignment will be a pain in the ass. Try to lower the polycount.)

Child of Rama

Sep 23, 2001
Norwich, Norfolk, England
You could try making the surface special lit, go to surface properties, flags, tick special lit. Then place a light nearby and go to light properties, lighting and special lit true. This light will then only effect special lit flagged surfaces, make the light really bright then tone it down so that the surface brightness eventually matches that of the surrounding surfaces.
This is what I tried with my levels dark patches when the other texture flags did not seem to help.

Mr Roboto

Jul 6, 2001
Canada eh!
Visit site
Chris
I've tried aligning (panning as I noted) the textures to eliminate contrast, if you mean move them up, down, left or right. If this is not what you mean by align could you please explain.

How do you change the poly count.

Child of Rama
I haven't tried using the special lit flag yet as it's not an issue of getting enough light. I will give it a try it on the slants only as they appear darker than the rest. Who knows it may just work.

Thanks for the replies. :)

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Special lit hasto be one of the most underrated features of all time. I use it in almost every skybox I make, an quite often when im having lighting difficulties like yours. Embrace special lit... it is your friend... :D