WTF, no more reflections?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
For some reason reflections and water don't look right anymore, as if I'm not in D3D mode or something. I've been running everything maxed at 1600x1200 resolution and just today out of the blue this started happening. Everything else (shadows, textures, lighting, etc.) look fine. I haven't installed any new drivers or software or messed with ini files.

Reflections and animated water still work in UT2k3 and other games I have with this technology, so the glitch belongs exclusively to UT2k4. I tried deleting the UT2004.ini file, restarting, and I'm now on the brink of reinstalling. Before I go to such desperate measures is this a common problem and is there a simple fix? Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I encountered this as well, but it was in the 2k3 map iron diety. The water on the bottom level doesnt move at all, its just a solid mass. All other water is fine except on that level. Must be a slight booboo when converting the map over.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Do you have a MinFrameRate set in your ini? Defaults to 25, so with everything maxxed out and you drop under that then it turns off details to speed you up.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
The minimum desired framerate defaulted to 35. So far every map in UT2k4 I've checked no longer has good looking water. This is starting to piss me off and I'm probably gonna end up reinstalling.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
turn your details down and see if it still does it, for petes sakes.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
weird. K maybe you should reinstall then :p

what the f kind of video card do you have to run the game at 1600x1200 at highest settings???

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
Well, I went through every single map with any water in it. Iron Deity is the worst with what appears to be a sheet of plastic instead of water that reacts to stuff. The other is Antalus. There could be more but I can't remember. I think it may be the same problem as Cpt.Toilet.exe. Something was lost in the 2k3>2k4 translation.

All the Onslaught, Assault, CTF, and whatever maps with water are perfectly fine.

It just occured to me that I never played the 2k3 DM maps in 2k4 until today. A complete reinstall would have most likely been a waste of time. At least I was worrying about nothing. Hopefully an official patch will fix it, because I did a million crazy things with no luck.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
Oh, sorry. I got a GeforceFX 5700 Ultra on a 3.0ghz P4, WinME, 512MB RAM and getting another 512MB in a few days. I'm pretty amazed at how well the game runs with everything maxed. And at any lower resolution I don't see a change in performance. The only time it starts to chug is in that awesome Blade Runner map for 2k3. But after a minute of loading everything it runs nicely. In my old Geforce 3 none of this was possible. After upgrading last November I was actually afraid of ratcheting up settings or resolution from 1024x768.

With everything maxed UT2k4 runs better than anything I played before. I think it's a combination of a carefully built and maintained computer and an ultra optimized game with the latter getting most of the credit. In Far Cry I won't bother with a resolution higher than 1024x768, and only one or two settings are maxed.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
??

I have:

Pentium4 3.0Eghz (@ 3.6ghz)
1024mb PC2700 Dual Channel DDR
Radeon 9800Pro
Windows XP Pro

And I can't even run at those details. I don't see how it's possible you are getting more than 12fps on any map.

Doctor7

May 1, 2001
Reading, UK
www.genesis-sf.org.uk
Sir_Brizz said:
??

I have:

Pentium4 3.0Eghz (@ 3.6ghz)
1024mb PC2700 Dual Channel DDR
Radeon 9800Pro
Windows XP Pro

And I can't even run at those details. I don't see how it's possible you are getting more than 12fps on any map.
What do people do to their systems? I can run at 1024x768, all details maxed, with reasonable framerates, on a P4 1.6 Northwood (@1.92) and a TI4400, so I would certainly expect a 3.0 and a later card to run fine at 1600x1200.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
It always depends on what you think is "enough frames". Some people will play at an awful choppy average of 30fps (remember kids, average of 30 means that a good deal of the time you have LESS than 30)...I can't do that. I'm using 1280x1024 and Medium details right now (60-80fps)...

Oh, and you don't need to reinstall really, just delete your user.ini and ut2004.ini and start the game, all settings will be reset...hope this helps.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
also, if you have MinDesiredFramerate set to anything but 0, you're probably losing details. I have it set to 0 and 1024x768 with highest details. Still choppy in Assault...