Body Armor?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I am sure this topic has been brought up many times, but I was just curious myself...

There should be body armor in Infiltration. It would have to be very realistic, and shouldn't allow you to carry 2+ grenades on you, as the body armor covers the many pockets on military uniforms. Of course it would only protect from weaker weapons, like sub machine guns using the 9mm, or some pistols, but it would be helpful for some players, especially in close quarters. Assault rifles should cut righ through, and sniper rifles shouldn't even be debated.

The only problem here is shotguns; does anybody havea reasonable suggestion for them? THe body armour will easily stop the slugs from getting through, but what about impact? Does anybody think it should do more or less damage?

Any additions/ideas/criticisms welcomed.

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
You can usually carry your LBE over the body armor, i have a swedish flakjacket, and i can fit my LBE over it easily, so you can carry ammo and grenades as usual, even though you get a impaired by the vest, because you loose a lot of agility.

Good vests stop rifle calibre weapons, the more powerful vests stop 7.62mm NATO (not sure what levels, i think level 4 stops 7.62mm). These vests (not sure what make though) can have just kevlar type material in them, or kevlar plus metal plates, such as titanium or steel. These stop bullets great, but have the problem that they might deform the bullet, and thus if it penetrates deals more damage than it would undeformed. But still, the armor might stop the penetration, but this much energy on one small spot might cause internal damage, mostly on the soft typ vests. This damage can be enough to kill you, even without penetration, especially from high powered rifle rounds.

I would love to see different forms of body armor, the rigid types adding a lot of encumbrance because of weight and loss of agility.

Also, the main use of vests is to deflect shrapnel, because shrapnel is usually low penetrative, and a major cause of casualties on modern battlefields, small arms actually causes very few casualties compared to artillery, and casualties due to support weapons, machine guns and similar.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
mod5m.jpg

-provides more protection than level III (NIJ);
-protects against .308 Winchester, .223 Remington, and also against Kalashnikov AK-47 automatic gun (bullet with steel heat treated core), (11.2sq.dm);
-peripheral protection against .44 Magnum (SWC / lead bullet), 9mm Parabellum (WMR / WK) (28.3sq.dm);
-protection against cut and thrust weapons ( 34 sq.dm);
-removable steel inserts;
-certified to protection level 6 (CEN) by TNO Prins Maurits Laboratory (Netherlands)

Level 4

Im am guessing that most of the armor in the game should easily protect against shrapnel from grenades (well, maybe not as much for level 1). If level 4 body armor was implemented, than there would be alot more marksmanship on serversm rather than simple rushing.

Also, while on the topic of body armor, why not make the helmets actually do something :D

Kisen_K

S&M Airlines
May 12, 2000
Norway
rullings.com
Yeah, maybe make the "helmet" face buyable. I don't know what kind of protection this would give, I guess it would protect you atlest from knifes (not in the face though :D )

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
I heard from a friend that a 5.7mm round has more penetration than a 7.62mm round. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm/deny this?

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
the 5.7 is made specifically to penetrate armor so it wouldn't be surprising if it was.

ss190.gif

SS190
The SS190 is the 5.7x28 mm Ball round. Its projectile will perforate any individual protection on today's battlefield including the PASGT kevlar helmet, 48 layers of kevlar body armor and the CRISAT target (titanium and kevlar). The SS190's conventional design allows it to be manufactured on existing production lines, and its lead-free composition eliminates range contamination.

didn't have time to check for the 7.62nato

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
From discussions on the old forum, armour is in the works (otherwise the Five-seveN and P90 would be somewhat pointless).

The plan (as I remember) is for 3 types of armour to be available. These will all be purchaseable through the loadout, and will increase your bulk an appropriate degree. their protection will be given in a realistic manner, so both front and back will have seperate damage counters, and if you get hit, the armour itself will weaken in a realistic manner (for example, a large calibre shattering a cyramic armour plate, will render that plate nearly ineffective).

A comment from any team members would be appreciated.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
For about every type of ammos, there is an Armor piercing variant... An AP variant always have much more penetration than the standard bullets, but need to get through armor to do maximum damage (due to bullet deformation)... AP bullets just get through unarmored target inflicting mininal damage (you need a lot of luck or a lot of ammos to do serious damage this way...).

I hope they will implement alternate types of ammos (i guess they will, the old roadmap have this planned).

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
The 5.7x28mm cartridge is designed to deal maximum damage, and yet be high penetrative against body armor, and low penetrative against walls, overpenetrating bodies etc, to be safe to use in a law enforcement eviroment. To obtain this, the bullet is front heavy, and is thus unstable, when it hits flesh, it tumbles to deal maximum damage, and if it overpenetrates, it deals minimum damage to targets behind the original target, and if it hits walls, it will probably not penetrate, and if it does, it tumbles and deals little damage (compared to regular FMJ pistol rounds).

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
So...

the Five-seveN and the FN90 will:

Penetrate walls not as much as everything else, and deal little damage on exit.

Damage flesh possibly slightly less than other (due to power, even despite tumbling) weapons.

Once armour is implemented be much more useful but in no way less so before armour.

And for Elite, those two FN weapons are planned for next release 2.86, anyway - despite the fact armour's not in yet, so don't worry :)

Fun fun fun!

[L]-Damodred

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
Well, the P90 and Five-SeVeN pistol has high capacity and low recoil, and would be much useful even without body armor. The P90 is capable of putting a whole magazine continous auto fire in a 10 inch cirlce at about 50 yards, this is extremely good recoil characteristics, and this could make it very good indeed. (these figures are from a review, i'll post URL if i find it)

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
A skilled operator can do below 10 inch full auto groups at 50m with ease using an MP5 as well as even other older SMGs. You'll forgive me if If I'm not terribly impressed.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Not likely. I doubt that the 5.7mm round can pierce a ballistic plate. Perhaps at close range. But at +/-350Joules of energy my expectations aren't all that high.

9mm Arcane goes though ballistic plates with ease. Though it'll trash the breech and barrel of most SMGs.

Cardinal

Gun Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2000
No, I can't ever imagine the P90 penetrating Level IV armor. Level IV is rated to stop .30-06 AP rounds at 2850 fps. It should also stop 5.56 M995 AP which has a higher velocity than the 5.7mm rounds...