Ground Branch (oldschool tactical shooter in development)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Nothing about this looks like a tactical shooter at all. Open environments and a linear corridor training course doesn't get me all excited.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Looks better than Arma II (visually.) Also seems to run smoother than Arma II, but who knows what kind of hardware that was recorded on?

Once it has a zombie apocalypse survival mod (like DayZ) I'll be sold :D

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Jesus Christ, that equipment selection GUI is terrible. I get that he worked on the original Rainbow Six, but doesn't he know menus don't have to look like garbage?

In all honesty, it looks interesting, but doesn't seem to offer anything that ArmA isn't already doing. I guess what I really wanted was a SP campaign, not another multiplayer game with "realism"

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Jesus Christ, that equipment selection GUI is terrible. I get that he worked on the original Rainbow Six, but doesn't he know menus don't have to look like garbage?
I know that it is hard to understand, since people base their opinion on how things are (visually) presented, but all of this is really sort of a placeholder. Things will be worked on greatly. I had a little insight into how the UI is meant to be and it is by far better and better looking than what they had to use for the presentation.
It sucks, but they need the money from the Kickstarter to actually make things the way they want them, but have to rely on what they have at this point to advertise for the project. It's a bit paradox, but most other Kickstarters don't even have in-game content and people tend to believe still. So it is important to read the whole text from the Kickstarter page and try to comprehend it to really understand where they are heading to.

In all honesty, it looks interesting, but doesn't seem to offer anything that ArmA isn't already doing. I guess what I really wanted was a SP campaign, not another multiplayer game with "realism"
What ArmA isn' doing is an absolutely accurate representation of weapon handling and movement and everybody knows that CQB (close combat) utterly sucks in ArmA. Ground Branch's focus is to nail the realism and effectivity of both ranged combat (realistic sights, ballistics, etc) and CQB (dynamic movement, effective weapon handling, lots of situational awareness and control).
See it as a mixture of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon. There will be a lot of SWAT like building entries with hostage rescue and target elimination, but also open environment reconnaissance and intel gathering.
ArmA is a full scale war simulation, Ground Branch is clandestine paramilitary special operations missions.

I am not into player versus player myself, I prefer cooperative (you can say single player with human buddies). This is their ultimative goal, but that needs more money, so they ask for a minimum amount to make the minimum of the game, but if they get more money, they can make more.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
For those who are lazy to click the kickstarter link, here the high def KS video.

[M]http://youtu.be/eVStChs5Uuc?hd=1[/M]

They are going to make updates and add new info and content soon, so if you're still in doubt, wait and keep the campaign in track.

jsonedecker

Jun 14, 2008
I'm John Sonedecker, the guy in the video. :)

Yes it is hiddeous! That is why I state at the very beginning of showing in game stuff that everything is a work in progress and will change..... especially the UI. Currently it is simply a prototype to prove out the functionality of the customization elements. It will have a completely different design. I'll be doing an update video that shows a concept of where its going.

In all honesty, it looks interesting, but doesn't seem to offer anything that ArmA isn't already doing.

I don't like to describe what other games aren't but focus on what our is. But in general the ARMA series is a fantastic combined arms type game. It's got huge open worlds and tries to offer everything under the sun when it comes to military stuff. Ground Branch is focused specifically on Special Operations and the covert smaller scale operations they execute. While some elements of gameplay are obviously going to be similar, the experience is going to be vastly different.

I guess what I really wanted was a SP campaign, not another multiplayer game with "realism"

So do we, but a good solid SP campaign takes a lot of money to do right. We don't have it and we aren't getting it from Kickstarter. It's that simple.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
This looks pretty neat, and I'm not normally interested in military fantasy games. One thing I'm curious about is why the US military hasn't stepped up to the plate on funding for this game -- The last America's Army game was a bit of a mess, and it seems like this is exactly the sort of thing they'd want to support.

jsonedecker

Jun 14, 2008
This looks pretty neat, and I'm not normally interested in military fantasy games. One thing I'm curious about is why the US military hasn't stepped up to the plate on funding for this game -- The last America's Army game was a bit of a mess, and it seems like this is exactly the sort of thing they'd want to support.

Thanks for the interest!

I'm not sure why you think the military should/would step up for funding? They don't usually fund game projects.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Hello John, nice to see you communicating with people directly. :)

This is an Unreal community forum, so there may not be much interest for this project, if you are not interested, some gamer friends of yours might be. Even if you don't care for this game, please tell your friends and you might do them a favor and they might be thankful to you for pointing them toward this game.

Even if you don't care, please spread the word and you may reach those who would be interested.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
well I dunno if there's no interest.
I'm interested.

on the Ground Branch site it says that their goal is to create a military sim comparable to Infiltration, the old UT mod. and I love Infiltration. easily one of my single favorite mods for any game, ever. and I love realistic military sims; Op Flashpoint, ArmA, etc.

but if they actually need 425k dollars just to get this thing off the ground - and they've barely raised 20 grand with 30 days to go - then you'll have to forgive me for being a little pessimistic. at the very least I'm not about to hold my breath.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I'm glad there are some who like INF (am old time Infiltration player myself) and are interested.
Be pessimistic, it's your right so to speak, but if it is not to much to ask, throw in a little pledge ($15 or even just $10 if you want). If the Kickstarter campaign fails, as you seem to believe, you will not lose a penny. but if it wins, well you just lost few pennies more, but helped and contributet to something good.

Your sole $10 wont make it happen though, so if you know gamer buddies or have some friends (lol), or are active on whatever kind of forums, just spread the word, mention it, it doesn't cost a thing. It doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, just point some folks to it and forget about it right away (but only after you pledged some bit :D).

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
It is interesting how Kickstarter programs have repackaged themselves as charity really.
Pledge a little for a good cause - a few quid doesn't really hurt you until you see the final figures accumulate into millions and then you start to ask other questions.
Take that plea some place else Psychomorph - I've seen it all before I'm afraid.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Nobody is asked to donate to a "good cause" if he or she doesn't want to. We ask for those who want this game, and if not (likely not) to at least tell others, who, by any chance, might actually want such a game.

Might be just my beggar voice, but this has nothing to do with charity or contributing to a good cause, but funding (yourself) the game you want, instead to swallow down the crap the big guys lay on you each couple of months.

If the "final figures accumulate into millions", I really wouldn't have any more questions. This project is unfortunately kind of far away from that, so my beggar voice might come to good use afterall.