Oh hell no!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
So just as I decided I'd solved the crashing issue in my other thread, now the freaking thing has lost it's ability to boot.

To cut a long story short:

It was always crashing as described in my other thread: Frozen image and sound loop/loud click/nasty hum. I had to reset to reboot.

After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that force-cooling the (previously passively cooled) northbridge prevented the lock-ups. So with a dedicated NB fan, I used the PC crash free for a week.

Today I'm gaming and 'CLICK' the sound goes dead, and the image freezes. 'Jesus, not again' thinks I. But when I reset, windows wont boot, saying something like "boot device corrupt". :mad:

Could an overheating chip cause corruption of the O/S, or is this just a coincidence (faulty drive)?

What can I do? :(

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
The only thing I can think of is maybe the NB got hot and maybe messed up the MB port the HD is plugged into, but that doesn't sound right and I've never heard of this before.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Damage to your chipset can cause damage to your boot sector (as well as corrupt data transfers everywhere) if I recall. If your NB was overheating, perhaps it's damaged.