HELP, I am getting frustrated and need some answers.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bryansforum

Aug 5, 2001
The problem is, that I get terrible performance from unreal tournament. In direct3d I got a max of 30 fps average and it looked like crap. So i went with opengl instead and I got higher fps and it looked better, I got an average of 40fps on Facing worlds...but it wasnt stable at all, at times it would dip down to 10fps for a bit then shoot up to 50 (when im facing a wall or something). It really isnt playable and i think it should be with my setup...I also have the newest drivers from via, 12.90 detonators, changed my aperature size all around from 4 megs to 256 and everything in between. I tweaked my registry settings for my card. Done everything i possibly can think of. I searched the forums a million times and finally I am posting this damn message out of pure anger for some answers. please help.

My system:
550mhz Via kx133a chipset (Slot A).
Asus K7V mother board.
256 megs of ram (DIMM?).
Creative Labs Anihilator 2 GTS 32meg.
Creative PCI128 soundcard.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Hi - welcome to PuF. :)

Well, first, you need to tell us what settings you have on/off. Type in preferences at the console. Jot down what your renderer settings are (for your particular display mode; ie, D3D or OpenGL).

You'll probably be happier playing at 800x600.

I got slightly better than that when I had my Voodoo3 on a P3-450-500 - but UT is made for Glide (and therefore Voodoo cards).

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
what resolution are you running UT at also? for your CPU speed and other computer specs you should be running the game at 800x600.

and what kinda CPU is that? I think you mean athlon or something, and you dont have DIMM ram. :D

bryansforum

Aug 5, 2001
Yeah its an athlon...and i dont think i should have a problem running it at 1024x768. with a steady fps around 40? or is it normal to get 10 fps most of the time at 1024x768?

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Actually, 1024x768 ... dipping to 10 is pretty standard for your setup.

I knew you had an Athlon, so I didnt worry about it.

And I know you are using SDRAM DIMMS (contrary to what Flare has to say).

40's would be your high, average high... firefight will drag you down.

Turn off Curved Surfaces, and Volumetric Lighting - your FPS should improve.

If those are off (since you haven't posted your settings yet, I don't know what to tell you man)... then you may be hosed.

Cablebait

May 23, 2001
canada
Visit site
Funny i should see a post on this card .I purchased that card a year ago and just re-installed it today.I couldnt get it to run for the life of me a year ago[albeit i had a p3 500 mhz].I got it to work after three driver tries[the newest creative ones]..and my framerates are quite good[p3 900mhz]minimum 60 fps-100fps.You shouldnt be using any drivers other than the 6.??'s....i think this card is quite weird however as it is very unstable[3 times playing ut]and once it shut down with an error.I believe the creative drivers use some version of nvidia 6.50...NVIDIA has released 6.73 drivers[perhaps more stable].

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I went from 6.50 to 12.40 to 12.90 - all showed major improvement (the 10.0.x series were horrible for me).

12.40 is the latest nVidia official drivers. If you have an Athlon or P3 - I highly recommend you get them.

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
Welcome to PuF
truffles.jpg

bryansforum

Aug 5, 2001
ok i did what you all said, i even dropped the res to 800x600 and then i tried face, my average fps was 32 at 800x600...this is pathetic. all the options to improve visual quality are off as you can see in this screen shot of my preferences...i am OUT OF IDEAS. and pretty angry at this point...

anterobs

Fast and Furious
Mar 5, 2001
Porto Alegre - RS
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by JuiceEggsMcKenna
2. Install UT patch v436

My problem with the 436 patch may be quite rare, but I had it with both my new and old video cards. My D3D mode became a windowed-only software mode, and I was getting around 1/2 fps in OpenGL. :p and I get 120+ fps in Quake II OpenGL at the same resolution...

I gave up upgrading it, since it's working fine in D3D now.