RA v2, concerning possible RC-50 removal?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Will getting rid of the RC-50 be an improvement for an RA server?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • No.

Votes: 30 65.2%

• Total voters

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Please, do not vote if you don't play RA!

I had played for about two hours total today. Everyone seemed veritably happy with the mutie, and there was only one complaint:

That God-damned robar. I'm posting a damn poll on this, just to see if tonight was a fluke. But I've never seen more people bitch about it before in my INF-life. :D Seemed to me majority of folks just want it gone.

Personally, I despise it, and the way it currently functions, and not to mention it's lack of use as a service weapon. At least the PSG-1, although not being a service weapon, represents the more common service sniper rifles. However, I have never felt like the folks on the server tonight. My problem is no longer with scopes considering the changes RA have made. So, my question is this:

Will getting rid of the RC-50 entirely heighten the gameplay atmosphere?

Guardian_BOB

Glitch! BFG!
Aug 28, 2001
Mississauga,Ont.
www.mainframe.ca
But I've never seen more people bitch about it before in my INF-life.
What is the nature of the bitching ? Too accurate ? Use on smaller maps? I didn't notice anyone complaining last week when I was on. I don't use it myself but did see 5 out of 8 on a map had it as their loadout :confused: too many folks using it, turning it into a very long sniper war ? If thats the case then perhaps change RA so that no more than 2 players on a team can carry an RC50.

I'll vote 'no' for now and retain the right to change it later :D

Slay Ya Later Guardian_Bob.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Nah, the problem isnt the robar, it's the lamers abusing it's power. If you implemented location based damage, this problem would end. Robar whores give the occasional snipers (like me) a bad name. Robar use on CQB maps does need to be banned, IMO.

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
Thinking about it, I voted yes.
For a while now (when I play on AFA#2), I begin to use the psg-1. I never though of using it before since the advantage teh robar had on it was too high. But now, with RA, I almost never use it (unless I get kill too often by one).
And as long as they dont implement better location damage, it should probably remove. I know that while I used it, I've done too much cheap 1-shot-foot-kill.

Or reduce it's damage to 95 , but that could get a little unrealistic since a shot in the torso should kill you with the robar...

Anyway you could test it and see how people react to it...

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
I agree. The robar is used too much where it shouldn't be. I hate coming around a corner in Kazakhstan and being blasted by a robar. There are suitable replacements for it imho.

V---------->Vote---------->Kick---------->Robar

W.R

Infateer
Dec 15, 2001
Canada ON
I can take out a lot more people a lot faster with the PSG-1 then with the RC-50. RC-50 is to slow and you cant correct if you miss.
I say keep it

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Sure, the Robar isn't correctly modeled yet, and is seen in places where it shouldn't be used .... However, INF has currently no one-shot-kill scoped rifle yet, so i say keep it .... Anyway, by definition, i really don't see why people need to say that a given weapon is bad .... RAv2 and AFA just showed us that in fact, what counts is the people who play.... Not the weapons ... Period.
And i almost exclusvely play on RA servers :D

DamienW

Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
:rolleyes:

Ah, good'ol The_Fur....
I DO know it's not realistic, and i wouldn't even bother posting here if it was the question .... The question Storm asked was "will it change the gameplay atmosphere", to what i answered "No" .... There are still more 'unrealistic' things in INF, so i say let the team handle them, and have RA stay in its limits, i.e. tweak and change values for an enhanced gameplay (which it is very good at, if you ask me) .....

DamienW

Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Now that's a good idea, ASMO ... Much better in my opinion than to remove the thing ... And it fits in the RA spirit, in my mind ... Therefore, i :tup: and ask for a "processed Yurch style" sticker... :D

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
either make it realistic or remove it, either way would be fine with me. Personally i think it simply doesn't belong in inf. .50cal rifles don't belong in a game where the max range rarely exeeds 200m.

Tiran Kenja

CO of Creepers
Feb 26, 2001
www.creepers.org
*LOL*

Ahhh finally a sign that the INF players are getting with the program...

Whenever there is nothing real to complain about. People starts complaining about snipers in some form or another ;)

jlamb_vo

{GD}Spunky{Pfc}
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I was very torn up about this (well, as torn up as you can be over the presence of a fake weapon in a video game :D ) but in the spirit of how the game has been developed I think it would be much more appropriate to work on how the gun functions in the game.

If it were removed on a strictly short-term interim bases until a better solution was coded (many many excellent and valid suggestions have been introduced to make all sharpshooting harder) I would consider that, but the way it is worded I cannot support it fully.

Make the thing realistically difficult to handle. There are some maps, and they will continue to emerge, where such a rifle may have a place. I don' t know about all its practical applications in real life, I've heard things here and there, but a gun like this may be applicable when we are dealing with armor, vehicles, fortified positions etc becuase of its penetration more than anything.

Increase the zoom, add weapon inertia, gravity, at least limited area damage, ballistics (go Yurch go) increase twitch and wobble when leaning and standing, or in the case of the robar even crouching, prohibitively difficult, and tighten the overall FOV of the game, and many of these issues may go away.

There its that simple! :D

The only times I have been really annoyed by the robar online is on that damn sniper hill the reds have on EP, but that has more to do with the hitbox problems. Also, the fact that they can lean out while prone and shoot it makes it all the harder to hit.

There has been an argument that being 'killed' in these games really represents being knocked out of action not necessarily killed... and that a robar shot into your leg could pretty much tear off the limb and render you pretty useless... but then its just something I heard ;)

Anyawy short of it is: I would rather see a weapon thats been in since version 1.5 or something in Unreal 1 STAY and BE ALTERED than have it thrown out for a long term... but if none of these effects can be implemented any time soon it may help as a very short term solution.

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
A long time ago (when 2.85.3 was still new) I suggested several things to balance out the Robar. e.g. no sniping while leaning, if you are standing while leaning the weapon wobble gets really bad after a short time of aiming and some things similar the RA mutator does.

The team said: No...it would be bad for gameplay and is unrealistic.

I am NOT for taking it out. I am for balancing it in a realistic way.

FunkyShyte

Nov 5, 2000
ra may fix a lot, but sniping with a 14 kg uber rifle still should require far more skill.

1) the difficulty of holding the rifle steady in different positions needs to be "realistified". while prone, there shouldnt be much trouble aiming the robar accurately even with a smg on your back, OTOH while prone turning it to a significantly different angle ( > 20° maybe, but assymetrically dependign on handedness) would require you to "hip" it or temporarly lose eye alignment (scope goes paritally black) because you have to lift up your left ellbow. (and reposition your upper torso a bit in general).
unless of course you are in a entrenched sniping position which would take about 5-30 minutes to set up depending on the ground and terrain where you would not be able to turn more than your position allows that easily at all.. ;))
2) keeping the robar on point while moving, even crouched, should be near impossible.
3) no robar hipshooting (or make it possible but drop the weapon 3 m behind the player after the shot *G*).
4) as long as there is no way (or noone has the time to implement it) to realize a mechanism where the code detects corners you actually can use (press the rifle into them with your holding hand etc [edit:] using the shaft of the rifle as a stabilizer while "hanging" on to it into the corner, thats how we were taught to do it [/edit]) i would suggest this:
leaning should make a big difference in aiming the rifle (maybe even make you flip over if you lean out to far *rofl*). while balancing your weight out on one foot you have to constantly compensate with small body movements to maintain balance, the more you lean the harder it is (try it) and having 14kg in your hands strechted out wont make this any better. a certain wobble effect would make the "you might see my shoulder while i point-and-click you dead" effect go away (this one personally annoys me the most, as it does not require ppl to actually have a good sniping position but do that around essentially any corner).
4) carrying any other AR/SMG (and the stupid backpack, rofl) should make all off the above even more difficult.
5) weapon inertia weapon inertia weapon inertia weapon inertia

just my .02 c. i hope i made sense. all of the above is pure theory, i never actually had any rifle in my hands larger than a german G3. MGs dont count, althought they are heavier the handling is a whole different story.

btw fur, i still think i could *walk around* pretty well with a robar + smg ;)

preparing to be flamed..