[BETA] Addon Overtime Last Chance

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
[BETA] Addon Overtime Last Chance RC3

(09.07.05) UPDATED LINK TO A NEW VERSION
http://battousainet.dyndns.org:60080/~lynx/JBAddonOvertimeLastChance-105-ut4mod.zip
http://battousainet.dyndns.org:60080/~lynx/JBAddonOvertimeLastChance-105.zip

It seems I was too hasty to call this one final. The issue with bots may have happened because I accidentally commented out the bit of code that clears the jails tags. Mychaeel said that this may cause the bots to realise that there's no switch to attack Anyway, now the bots take weapon and sit on defence, which I missed. Damn... that's what happens when you code at 5AM. Aside fixing the brodcasting log spam there's also another bug fixed that was causing spam in the log too (when exluding players for arena). Ok, now the bots go on the attack, when overtime starts. That one is seems to work well to be the final.

What it does: if a match goes to overtime because of a tie, the release switches become jammed to nobody can release any more. Last chance to score a point!

Readme included. Only zip version is available now, but I'll try to make an ut4mod one ASAP.

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
- It's a nice idea, I remember playing over 20 minutes in IndusRage, and I have a TimeLimit of 10... :eek:
- You also could add an option to limit the time of each round... ;)
Downloading now...
Edit: I had a quick look. Works OK, some more ideas:
- Add something (e.g: a emitter) to cover the switches after overtime.
- Bots don't care if the switch is closed, they keep attacking it... :D

Last edited:

Mychaeel

G.Lecter said:
Bots don't care if the switch is closed, they keep attacking it...
Hmm... that could possibly be worked around with the following "hack": Clear all JBInfoJail actors' Tag property -- that way they won't be connected to the release switches anymore, and bots will realize they have nowhere to go to release their teammates.

_Lynx said:
I'm not sure if ther's a way to set the round length via addon.
Well, you can always simply respawn everyone after a certain time. UTJB 20x and Jailbreak III had that feature built-in as a fail-safe device when bots got stuck in their attempt to release the human player in offline games.

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
G.Lecter said:
- It's a nice idea, I remember playing over 20 minutes in IndusRage, and I have a TimeLimit of 10... :eek:

When I first installed OLStats3, I've left the bots to play some CTF (9x9 Godlikes, 20min, 5cap). So, they managed to play 11 hour long (!!!) overtime on CTF-November2k3... heh.

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Hmm... If so, may be implement hockey-like match structure? I mean fixed game time. Then fixed length OT. If the score is even at the end of overtime, then there will be a "shoot-out" on the arena (if possible). Under shoot-out I mean 1st player of reds vs 1st of blues, when they finished 2nd of red plays against 2nd of blues, etc.

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Dont forget that not every map has an arena.

The fixed-length overtime sounds good... 5 minutes would be fine. Rather than the "shoot-out" ending, the winner could just be decided by tallying up all the frags each team has... whoever has the most wins.

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Everything should be configurable, but the idea with the most frags may be a back-up for the maps w/out the arena. Anyway , I need to make the current version run solid. But these ideas are a good start for the v2.

BTW, are rotating circles from BR ball suitable for putting around the switches?

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Here's the latest version with two improvements mentioned in feedback above. Now there's a visible switch blocker. I've no experience in 3D modelling, though once I tried to do something in Maya. So, I used the standard mesh for BR bomb. If someone thinks that mesh is no good, than please tell me where I can get nice 3rd party one. This does it's job for now - it's visible and it blocks ;). All it needs is may be a better model and a little adjusting in Z-axis. Also, thanks to Mychaeel for his counsel, the bots now ignore the switches in OT.

Also, I'm afraid that right after friday I might be unable to access to internet, or may be even to computer until July. If so, anyone may take the second unfinished addon, and finish it. This one I suppose is nearly done. I'd call that version a RC

Attachments

• JBAddonOvertimeLastChance.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 38

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This add-on is nice, however I personally think it takes away from the whole overtime experience. I don't mean to rain on your parade, however playing an overtime forces you to play a tough defense with a well-balanced offense. What I'm trying to say is that it is the glory of overtime to release your team and try to prevent the same from happeneing to you. Overtime should be a time to stiffen your defense and toughen your attack, and this mutator takes away one of the most crucial parts of the Jailbreak mod, defense. I just look at it as taking away from the Jailbreak experience. I think an overtime win is a testimate to your skills and complement to everyone's abilities. I love overtime games in the lockdown and I'm waiting for the match I play in that heads into double or maybe into triple overtime. Overtime is the do or die time where teams must learn to fully balance themselves; however I ask myself how the teams can balance their game when you take away half of the game. Your work is appreciated, but I would not like to use this mutator on the lockdowns, nor in the tourney that will hopefully start soon.

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I made it on request =D And I think that just pushes both teams to fo look for the luck in the field, rather than wandering around the switch they protect.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
could someone post a nice screenshot of the blocked switch that I can use on the news page please?

BTW, have you got a screen announcement when overtime begins?

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
More ideas:
- The new emmiter looks great, but it would be even beter if it was team-coloured.
- Arena match is still possible after overtime, there should be an option to allow that or not...
- A lucky player can release its team in the last second and get a big advantage from the other team. Another option to release/teleport players or not at overtime would be cool. :D
- To make it perfect, i would like something that kicks players who try to get near the switches... :lol:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
tarquin said:
BTW, have you got a screen announcement when overtime begins?
Yes, it says 'OMG!, the switches are now locked' or something like that...
tarquin said:
could someone post a nice screenshot of the blocked switch that I can use on the news page please?
Take this one if you want: ;)

Attachments

• Jailbreak.jpg
    Jailbreak.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 56

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
G.Lecter said:
More ideas:
- The new emmiter looks great, but it would be even beter if it was team-coloured.

Take the colour directly from the switch properties -- there's another project in the pipeline to allow a user to reverse the colours they see client-side.

G.Lecter said:
- To make it perfect, i would like something that kicks players who try to get near the switches... :lol:

Good idea. Something that repels the player like a force field... and with a zoingy sound effect maybe?

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yes Zed, you have to d up; however think about it man, you can't run a Jailbreak team efficiently without a balanced offense and defense. However, I so think it is nice to have made this add-on through request.

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Well, that's not an emitter actually, it's just an actor. Tarquin, how do you think what color must the blocker have? The color of team that attacks that switch or the color of defending team? Cause, I'vr just used the standard static mesh, and not sure if there's a way to change the texture color.

Also, what's the ideal distance for pushing back?

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
oh, forgot to say - it has 2 messages. One being broadcasted to all players when overtime starts, and the second is being displayed to a player who tries to touch the switch, when he bump into blocker