Please don't kill me for this I'm a newbie.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thetargos

Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
Ok, so I am new to Unreal editing (actually I am new to game editing at all!!), any way, following the tuotorials at unrealed.net, I've been able to do many things in the editor and stuff, but I am kinda having problems... 4 major problems in fact.

1.- The only basis I have for the level construction is that which is in the "Basic construction" toutorials phases 1 and 2, so I have no idea of how to make an outdoor level or stuff like that. So I have been constructing my level room by room rather than making a "big hole" in the void and starting editing "inside" it (as I have seen from some levels of the game {Unreal 1, I haven't UT yet}).

2.- Secondly, as I stated above, I am making my level "room by room" this is making a new brush for each room, and it happens that in the outline of the level taht I have drawn on paper I have several rooms that "share" walls. The problen in the UED is this: When I make a brush of what would be a new room and put the edge (in the grid overhead view) just overlaping the previous brush that is the other room, then the section that overlaps just desapears, it makes a hole. So my obvious question here is how do I make tow rooms that share the same wall (in one side a texture, in the other another texture design). Is it possible, how do I set the wall thickness or something so when I make a comunication between rooms it the wall in the edge of the "door" wouldn't apear as a sheet of paper?

3.- Would you recomend me to start building the level from a "big hole" instead of making each room separetely and diging it out of the void each time I would make another room?

4.- How do I delete an unused, untextured cube brush? could it affect the level performance if I leave it just where it is?

I'm sorry if these questions are too stupid for you, but since the only expirience I have with level editing was editing levels in Starcraft, well the UED is a LOT different form that one (this is my first expirience with a 3D editor). Anyway, I love Unreal, I'll love UT (I do it alright with the demo). Anyway, as you can see I need help with this.

scorpion

Dec 18, 1999
Visit site
I'm just about as new to editing as you are but I think I can help you with one question. Number 4 you said about the unused brushes. I find if I am done the level I can just leave them and it does not affect the preformance at all. Other than that I have the same questions you do. Sorry.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
>>Ok, so I am new to Unreal editing (actually I am new to game editing at all!!), any way, following the tuotorials at unrealed.net, I've been able to do many things in the editor and stuff, but I am kinda having problems... 4 major problems in fact.<<

Don't worry, we'll just hang you by your toes for the first week or so /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif
And remember we help best with proper english (I haven't read the post yet but lots of people failed english class apparently)

>>1.- The only basis I have for the level construction is that which is in the "Basic construction" toutorials phases 1 and 2, so I have no idea of how to make an outdoor level or stuff like that. So I have been constructing my level room by room rather than making a "big hole" in the void and starting editing "inside" it (as I have seen from some levels of the game {Unreal 1, I haven't UT yet}).<<

Ok, I've made a tutorial on this. People like the great outdoors in games for some reason but hate leaving their PC's /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif http://members.xoom.com/Wanderer21/tutorial-terra-forming.zip

It's highly recommended that you know what you're doing before jumping into that tutorial. I think I evens stated that first in the readme file to.

>>2.- Secondly, as I stated above, I am making my level "room by room" this is making a new brush for each room, and it happens that in the outline of the level taht I have drawn on paper I have several rooms that "share" walls. The problen in the UED is this: When I make a brush of what would be a new room and put the edge (in the grid overhead view) just overlaping the previous brush that is the other room, then the section that overlaps just desapears, it makes a hole. So my obvious question here is how do I make tow rooms that share the same wall (in one side a texture, in the other another texture design). Is it possible, how do I set the wall thickness or something so when I make a comunication between rooms it the wall in the edge of the "door" wouldn't apear as a sheet of paper?<<

Try adding in a brusher that's as thick as you want.

>>3.- Would you recomend me to start building the level from a "big hole" instead of making each room separetely and diging it out of the void each time I would make another room?<<

>>4.- How do I delete an unused, untextured cube brush? could it affect the level performance if I leave it just where it is?<<

Delete the brush in one of the wireframe views. Then press F8. Uncheck Auto BSP and then click Rebuild. This will just rebuild the geometry. For the full deal, put the check next to Auto BSP.

>>I'm sorry if these questions are too stupid for you, but since the only expirience I have with level editing was editing levels in Starcraft, well the UED is a LOT different form that one (this is my first expirience with a 3D editor). Anyway, I love Unreal, I'll love UT (I do it alright with the demo). Anyway, as you can see I need help with this.<<

I've gone through tons of games and editors. They're all different and the best peice of advice is take what you learned in one editor and apply it to the next. Besides, I love newbies to UED. They have the easiest questions /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Who

----
Dec 3, 1999
Trinidad, West Indies
ok about the rooms problem, remember you a in a solid and cutting rooms, so for walls you just have to leave solid between them ie. do not overlap the brush with an already subtracted room or you'll end up with one big room instead of two when you subtract the second room.
I think I got that right.

Thetargos

Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
I have understood and tested several of the qustions I asked here to you guys... And last night when I was applying some of your advices, I noticed how stupid my questions were and that I assumed that acomplishing this task would take me more, but it didn't thanks to y'all. Now I know how to make two rooms that "sahre" walls, in fact the really tricky part is to do so while making the "big hole" and then making constructions that have rooms sharing walls within it (but it is still too advanced for me). For now I will focus on basic rooms making communications between them and to figure out how to use movers and triggerd movers. Even without having any outdoor area, I think I can do some very good levels, the important thing here is not to loose of sight the content and theme of the level, am I right? /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif I think I will be ready for more complex levels as I use UED more each time and by trial and error with some of the special features (such as fog, water, lava, etc), how ever there are still some things that I've been unable to figure out... (here I go again).

These questions I'll post them as another discussion anyway, but here they are:

1.- I have a wall in a room in my level which is by the way, ambiented with the Ancient textures pack. Anyway, the thing is that in this wall I want to add a section with the cravings in the wall of the Naly scripture, and obviously add a translator event. But the thing here is that if I try to apply the textures correspondign to the symbols, I get the whole wall rendered with that texture, so How do I apply the symbols just to a small section of the wall? I'm sure the answer should be fairly easy to do, but... I'm newbie.

2.- Is almost the same here, but with a little difference... In order to make a button that will trigger a mover (as soon as I finish reading the proper tutorials), I would want to stick it into a wall, I am prety sure that first I have to make a brush for the button and then apply the textures but, how do I make the button to have the animation of being pushed? Do I have to use antoher mover to do that as well? (I know it might sound obvious, but I had to ask anyways).

That's all for now, and thanks for your understandig and support.

Who

----
Dec 3, 1999
Trinidad, West Indies
You will need to create a new brush of the size you want with the carving texture. Then add the brush inside the wall with one suface of the brush on the suface of the wall.The brush should be thinner than the wall so you won't get any bulge comming out of the wall when you add the brush.

Anytime you're not sure how something is done, try looking at some of the original Unreal maps in the editor and you may find the answer. Hope I helped

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
>>1.- I have a wall in a room in my level which is by the way, ambiented with the Ancient textures pack. Anyway, the thing is that in this wall I want to add a section with the cravings in the wall of the Naly scripture, and obviously add a translator event. But the thing here is that if I try to apply the textures correspondign to the symbols, I get the whole wall rendered with that texture, so How do I apply the symbols just to a small section of the wall? I'm sure the answer should be fairly easy to do, but... I'm newbie.<<

Don't worry this is simple. What you do is make add a brush in the middle of the wall somewhere. Then use the face that's sticking out to place the Nali scripture texture.

>>2.- Is almost the same here, but with a little difference... In order to make a button that will trigger a mover (as soon as I finish reading the proper tutorials), I would want to stick it into a wall, I am prety sure that first I have to make a brush for the button and then apply the textures but, how do I make the button to have the animation of being pushed? Do I have to use antoher mover to do that as well? (I know it might sound obvious, but I had to ask anyways).<<

You can indeed do this with one Mover. What you do is right-click on the Mover=>Keyframe, there are several Key #'s here. Just use Key 1 and then relocate the Mover to where you want. Then right-click on the Mover again and change the Key # to 0. Now when you run into the button it will go inside the wall. If you want it to stay there go under the properties=>Mover=>bTriggerOnce=True.

Any more questions while I'm still on vacation?