Graphics update?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Is anyone interested in/thought about doing a graphics update to the models in UT? I was thinking if some coders got together and updated UT's engine's limitations, we could bring the graphical quality from UT2k3/4 to UT's gameplay engine, and then it'd be like we'd have a new game :)
Just a thought... I think new graphic models would fit well with UT's 2nd cd of high quality textures.

And yes I know there is a mod going on to bring UT to UT2k3, i'm just suggesting a graphics update, not tweaking the gameplay or anything(though ragdolls would be nice but that could be a decent stand alone mod)

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
I doubt any of those would work without some EXTREME code modifications, not to mention performance issues with this version of the Unreal Engine. Both games are completely different on how they load and what they use. I doubt it could be done though and besides imo, ut1 doesnt need an update.

Daedalus said:
I doubt any of those would work without some EXTREME code modifications, not to mention performance issues with this version of the Unreal Engine. Both games are completely different on how they load and what they use. I doubt it could be done though and besides imo, ut1 doesnt need an update.

I have to say, for 2004 these graphics look GOOD. I don't personally think anything needs to be changed either, but I thought it would be nice if it got a update and more importantly, remove limitations from inserting really good models/designs.

Fearless said:
Heythere, check this web site out :

http://home.comcast.net/~oo7mike/Projects_eyecandy.htm

OO7Mike posted a subject sometime about the possibility of recreating a higher resolution texture set but I don't know if this has developped into a project or not.

Thanks for the link Fearless! As of right now(and for the next 6 months knowing my luck) I don't/won't have a new graphics card, so my P4 can't take advantage of any high end Open GL. But this sounds like a pretty good idea imo :tup:

Now the only thing left to do is raise the model limit to 3000 polygons :cool:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I don't know about polys but there is one major obstacle to hi-res texures on Ut and that's because of the fact that Epic never documented how to produce the s3 compressed texture files. Perhaps they will reconsider this with the release of UT2004.

Damn I hope so, you can warez this game for free and get around the 436 patch cd check :(. They don't really make any profit from it anymore, so I don't see why they wouldn't let a community try to squeze some extra life out of it... But maybe I'm over looking something. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well, there's still a franchise centered around Unreal Tournament in that some more recent games have been based on the UT engine (American's Army, for example). Support for even higher textures would make it more attractive to game developpers and mod authors.

However, it looks like UT2003 is starting to pick up steam on this front with the release of Deus Ex 2 Invisible war.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Heythere said:
Damn I hope so, you can warez this game for free and get around the 436 patch cd check :(. They don't really make any profit from it anymore, so I don't see why they wouldn't let a community try to squeze some extra life out of it... But maybe I'm over looking something. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

please tell me you didnt warez ut...

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Daedalus said:
please tell me you didnt warez ut...

Whether he didn't or not, the sad fact is that it isn't being sold anymore (at least not in a lot of countries in Central Europe). Same goes for games like Quake3. One guy went to a big shop called the FNAC in Brussels and asked for a copy of Q3A and they told him either to buy it online ... or download it :eek:.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Fearless said:
Whether he didn't or not, the sad fact is that it isn't being sold anymore (at least not in a lot of countries in Central Europe). Same goes for games like Quake3. One guy went to a big shop called the FNAC in Brussels and asked for a copy of Q3A and they told him either to buy it online ... or download it :eek:.

I'm pretty sure I saw UT at one of the Gamestops around here (Western Pennsylvania, US)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
USA != Europe. Here the redistribution networks are stingy and don't hesitate to tell shops to get lost :p .

I just wrote a long ass response, only to see it deleted thanks to the thread expireing. So to make a long story short-

Yes I warezed it, and then a month later I bought a mint copy of UT off of ebay. I didn't have to pay a dime, but I really really liked UT, so I bought it. I am very happy with my purchase.

I hate the general idea of warez, because people abuse it to no ends. I do think however warez should be allowed for demo purposes. If you like the game and continue to play it, buy it. If you didn't like it, don't ever touch it again(Return To Castle Wolfenstien comes to mind). But you can't control what people do, and it's a company's product, so they should have the final say in what can be allowed.

Anyway, time to play Operation Na Pali, then learn C++ in hopes that it will eventually aid me in tweaking UT's engine :)

Last edited:

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Heythere said:
I just wrote a long ass response, only to see it deleted thanks to the thread expireing. So to make a long story short-

Yes I warezed it, and then a month later I bought a mint copy of UT off of ebay. I didn't have to pay a dime, but I really really liked UT, so I bought it. I am very happy with my purchase.

I hate the general idea of warez, because people abuse it to no ends. I do think however warez should be allowed for demo purposes. If you like the game and continue to play it, buy it. If you didn't like it, don't ever touch it again(Return To Castle Wolfenstien comes to mind). But you can't control what people do, and it's a company's product, so they should have the final say in what can be allowed.

Anyway, time to play Operation Na Pali, then learn C++ in hopes that it will eventually aid me in tweaking UT's engine :)

actually...I did something similar. My friend installed UT on my old 300Mhz K6-2 a loooooong time ago and I had it for a while (at version freakin 400 too so no mods) without paying and eventually just decided to buy my own copy. I did that with Morrowind and Grand Theft Auto 3 as well. I do agree with your idea that warez should be used to demo because that's what I use it for. If I like a game enough I'll usually buy a copy, if not, I didnt waste my money. So yes I agree with your ideals because they're basically mine :D

ShortCutMan

Dec 16, 2002
In a chair!
Visit site
Whether he didn't or not, the sad fact is that it isn't being sold anymore (at least not in a lot of countries in Central Europe). Same goes for games like Quake3. One guy went to a big shop called the FNAC in Brussels and asked for a copy of Q3A and they told him either to buy it online ... or download it :eek: .
You can get UT in quite alot of places over here (Australia), but I think I see it thinning, or its old stock. Can't say the same for Q3, I had to get mine second hand.

I'm sure they're still in stock collecting dust in certain places. I do remember seeing a copy in store last year.. can't remember where though...

As far as demos, yeah, that's true that's what they're for. :)

But they're all too often misleading for FPS games today IMO. The demo for UT was "OK"... imo it doesn't do the game any justice at all, and i'm glad I had UT before I tested the demo. UT2k3 on the otherhand... well... lets say I didn't like the demo, and i deleted my warezed version 30 minuetes after I finished downloading it. I think when I get some cash I'll buy UT2k4 though, just to be courterous to Epic for all my bush hopping :D

Last edited: