OGC sponsors bailing w/ ViperDan left holding the bag...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
http://board.unreality.dk/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=26&t=000158

Apparently, the sponsors who would provide the prize money for the OGC bailed on ViperDan. He's honoring his claim of prize money by paying out of pocket. Someone should give this man a medal...

But other than that, it seems that the clan community is reducing in number. But I have to wonder about the rest of the UT community? Are we still alive and kicking like some people are saying? Or is it otherwise?

Eviscerator|PuF

The Bungle in the Jungle
Mar 19, 2001
Visit site
I come from the Half-Life community, and after seeing a friend of mine playing UT, I just had to get it. So I got it, and after getting the server list, I was dismayed to see that there were more servers empty then not.

Compared to Half-Life, the UT community is small...very. This isn't always a bad thing though. My CS clan ran 3 servers, and I would kick 3-4 people a day for blatant cheating, or just being a lamer. The bigger the community is, the more cheaters and lamers you are bound to have. The CS community has got to be the most cheat ridden community ever. Partly because of the code in HL, the way they made lots of things client side to prevent lag. Partly because the community is so big. Immature also...

I have left CS to play UT and various mods because of this, and I have to say there are definite advantages to a smaller community. You know who you are playing with, you can trust them, and it is overall a better playing experience. Just my .02

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Nicely put, and welcome. Of course, compared to the Half-Life community - everyone is small...even Quake]|[. Yes, it does seem that UT is on the other side of it's peak... it's natural. But as you so nicely said, Eviscerator, it's not necessarily a bad thing!

The same cycle took place with Unreal/UT, and we'll see the same swell in numbers as Unreal2 draws nearer. Exitement will rebuild and new people will come to be a part of it. Seemingly, Unreal2 has a direction that may prove very smart. It will have a good, built-in online base. It will have a good variety in out-of-the-box multiplayer games. Multiple races, 15 weapons, and massive terrains will put it right where people want it to be. And it looks to put Tribes2's engine to shame. Halo? We'll have to wait and see.

While all of this is true, it must be said, that all is not lost. Yes, many servers sit empty for much of the day, but the player numbers have not dwindled very much. We're left with some very good people, tons of maps, mods, mutators - and one of the all-time best games ever.

P.S. that sucks, Cookie. How much cash is ViperDan supposed to cough up?

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
We actually played CS at EuroLAN 3 on Saturday night/Sunday morning and it was a total blast. Why? Partly because of the setting (it was a LAN, so the ping was almost nothing and you could see the people you're playing against) and partly because of the people. We all know each other and knew that none of us were gonna suddenly pull out a speed cheat or act like a tosser. (Mazza's drunken-style APC driving was something to remember though :) ) In fact, I'd love to see a small CS community build up within PuF, so we can continue the fun from ELan 3, just with a slightly higher ping ;)

Every community goes through the same cycle though. People come and go, the game gets boring for some and not for others. People go to other games. It happens. However, it's better when you have a small community of people you know and play against or with, than if you have a sprawling community of people who come and go and you never see again.

BTW, massive props to ViperDan for paying out that prize money - a lot of people wouldn't.