Pop would be cooler if...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LHABulldog6

Fall for that.
Feb 10, 2002
forums.beyondunreal.com
Well, originally this was intended to be a poll discussing ways to improve fecies, but due to a misspelling in the thread title, I got a better idea :)

How does one go about making pop music better? Its stinking up the radio, keeping real music off the air. Whatever your tastes are, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find a BuF'er that bopples along to your local supertrendy radio station.

BTW, killing them all isnt really an improvement to the genre :)

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Dude 90% of BuF'ers find the song All the things she said by Tatu catchy. There was a whole thread made on it.

May I add that Chevelle is one of the best bands ever currently playing on the radio. I was going to say one of the best new bands but then I saw that their first CD was released in '99. But yea, they rock.

pReTTy_vAcaNt

formerly lafnboy
Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
we need more classic-sounding TALENTED musicians. The White Stripes are pretty good IMO.

Oh yeah and we need more of a VARIETY. except for country ;) leave that **** out.

LHABulldog6

Fall for that.
Feb 10, 2002
forums.beyondunreal.com
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

The White Stripes are pretty good, I kinda like Seven Nation Army. Instrumental skill is severely lacking in the music industry. I mean, when was the last time you heard some real talented musicians on the mainstream radio?

I like Radiohead because its just my kind of music, they're talented musicians and Thom Yorke does great vocals, but I also value that they don't change their style in the name of profit. But I've ranted about them on several occasions, so this is where they end.

You just cant find any more like Freddie Mercury or Doug Gilmour. Also, variety is a problem, I turn it on and it all sounds the same, so its hard to get into. Kind of like white noise with a beat :)

Last edited:

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
I don't think we can change pop music. Pop music is corporate music. With a few exceptions, much of it is only what the record labels and MTV want us to see. Unfortunately, for a lot of good bands, they don't have that backing.

But I don't worry. I just keep hunting for good music.

Also, Chevelle is good...on CD. I dunno if it was that day, but when I saw them in concert, they gave a pretty lackluster performance. I still like them, but they certainly disappointed.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
White Stripes is doing very well, I really enjoy listening to them.

I have a huge rant I go on about pop music, except not it's radio play... I hate how pop music is used for soundtracks in movies. Whatever happened to ORIGINAL SCORES? Dynamic music? I hate pop music already, because the choruses are just so... well, I get tired of hearing 8th note powerchords with thick distortion and simple chord changes. It's cheap, and way overused. Then, when they use that fake emotion in movies (Spiderman, Dare Devil), it comes off to me as total BS and kills everything.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Bean316 said:
Also, Chevelle is good...on CD. I dunno if it was that day, but when I saw them in concert, they gave a pretty lackluster performance.

I just read a review from some guy saying they are awesome in concert :con:

Whatever though, I can't get enough of this CD "Wonder What's Next". It's one of those rare CDs where I love every song on it. Every song! So good! :D

Dunno any of The White Stripes songs except Seven Nation Army which I just don't like. It's like the simplest bass line in the world combined with the simplest drum beat possible. Don't like the vocals too much either.

As for talented musicians on the radio... Doesn't Janes Addiction get radio play? They're pretty damn good with their instruments especially dave navarro but I don't really dig the vocals. Coldplay are pretty good too. And umm... can you say Audioslave? What about 311? Some will probably argue with this but how about Evanescence? They actually have some nice guitar solos and amazing vocals from Amy Lee. Pretty catchy stuff too.

Those are just the ones that I know off the top of my head, and believe me I don't listen to a lot of new rock.

TheEndruu

Oct 22, 2002
The White Stripes are awesome, one of my favorite bands. I got the newest Coldplay CD and it's really good too. Also, Jane's Addiction is rightous.

I don't listen to the radio anymore, so I don't really know whats "mad" and a "kick in the crotch", as the kids say.

EDIT: By the way, I hate that Tatu song lol

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
Well, I went to Ozzfest and I saw them. They just kinda stood there and did their songs. It felt like boring. And they struck me as kinda...bored... But they must be doing something right. However, I'm not sure how the hell you can put on an awesome show when Pantera ever plays.

Also, I had a friend who is a huge Chevelle fan, and didn't think they were that great either live.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Blah. I'm getting sick of people complaining about pop music. I admit there's lots of very annoying stuff out there, but then again, there's also pop music like Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton or Norah Jones. Whether you like their music or not, you have to admit that they're different from the typical over-produced pop stuff like Britney Spears or your average boyband.

And there's also the kind of pop music that is good just because it's damn catchy - Tatu and Alizee come to mind.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Norah jones is jazz not pop anyways there are some pop artistis that can sing very good but they are outnumberd by sucky singing peapole theres this song bya girl i dont remember her name together with busta rymes and fabulous and that girl she just cant sing thats just awfull she cant f*cking sing so they give her a contract

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
LHABulldog6 said:
Well, originally this was intended to be a poll discussing ways to improve fecies, but due to a misspelling in the thread title, I got a better idea :)

How does one go about making pop music better? Its stinking up the radio, keeping real music off the air. Whatever your tastes are, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find a BuF'er that bopples along to your local supertrendy radio station.

How can we make pop cooler? Well, every single song should be backed by an orchestra. With lots of violins. And there should be more trumpet solos, they can make some of the most beautiful and haunting music in the world. Also, lets have some incomprehensible female choirs on the radio, plus screeching demonic male voices, long-drawn out violin solos, random samples that say things like 'The brain is the seat of madness and delirium' and 'I have powers that equal and surpass the powers of Gord' and lyrics about how everything really really sucks except winter, pain, and dead chicks.

Oh wait, that's just me.

And whatever you want to hear on the radio is basically just you as well, or at least a smaller group than those that want to hear what's currently on it.

You can't 'improve' pop music. Pop music is music that appeals to the largest possible group of people. If you 'improved' it for some people, you'd just turn another lot off it.

As for keeping 'real' music (whatever the hell that is) off the radio, I can get several stations that aren't just pop music. And digital radio and the like will probably increase variety even more when they get off the ground. Until then, keep some tapes or CDs in your car or something.

LHABulldog6

Fall for that.
Feb 10, 2002
forums.beyondunreal.com
Sam_The_Man said:
As for keeping 'real' music (whatever the hell that is) off the radio, I can get several stations that aren't just pop music.

Your sarcasm is noted :)
What I mean by real music, I guess, is probably most anything that takes at least a marginal amount of skill or inspiration to create. And I get some good stations too, and when my MP3 isnt handy, I'll listen to them. I meant what would you say music needs for an improvement on the whole. In my opinion, when the only instrument you need is a 4/4 time bass kicker beat, something is wrong.

Warm Pudgy

null
Feb 18, 2001
what i consider 'real' music or should i
say 'real' artists are people who actually make their own music and lyrics
most pop "artist" dont write their lyrics or music they have someone else do it for them, all they do is sing and look pretty

i think what most of you consider real music is stuff like classical or alternative rock and most techno