Euro Publisher Set For Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Tripwire Interactive announced today that 1C Company has acquired the European publishing rights for its upcoming Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, which was thrust onto the scene a bit prematurely by PC Gamer. Some new details and screenshots have also emerged.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad will focus on the Battle of Stalingrad and the surrounding operations, both German and Russian, from July 1942 to February 1943. The game allows the player to experience one of the most brutal battles in all of human history. The game consists out of two campaigns - Red Army and German. Delivering unrivalled accuracy and attention to detail, along with gritty, vicious combat in multiplayer, co-op and solo modes the game will feature everything from quick, brutal firefights to more intricate and challenging simulation modes.

The developers have built upon their huge success with the last title and have added a slew of new features including:

RO multiplayer taken to new heights: In addition to the award winning Territory gametype from RO, all new gametypes such as Firefight and Countdown add greater diversity, replayability and fun.

Persistent Stats Tracking and Player Progression: Grow in rank, earn medals, improve abilities, and become a Hero - all visible to the complete online gaming community and embedded within the game.

Heroes: Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Players with hero status inspire troops around them and cause fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers.

Stalingrad Campaign: The Stalingrad campaign will feature the multiplayer maps used in a campaign layout recreating the battle for Stalingrad from both the German and Russian sides.

First person cover system: Experience the ultimate firefights that a cover system allows, from the immersion of a first person view. Peek or blind fire over and around cover and more.

Squad Command: Command fire teams on the battlefield using an easy to use first person interface.

WWII weaponry redefined: true to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more.

Co-op: Players can connect with their friends and battle the AI in multiple game types including the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish Mode, and more.

Morale: Experience what it is like to be a soldier in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history and the importance of a soldier's state of mind and how it can turn the tide of battle.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
hm, looks a bit like the old UE2 game with some new effects. It's ok, but it's absolutely not photo-real.

Also, i don't know if i really want to see a singleplayer campaign in the game. Maybe as some kind of extended tutorial, but I hope it's not going to spoil the multiplayer.

Also hope, the environments are somewhat destructible even if not stated in the press release. This would be a fine use of the new tech.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
so true, the models are with low polys,
it seems theyre using models that are more suitable for ue 2.5 in the ue3

still, this game has its playability wich is the best it has,
i pray for them to improve their graphics

SuperDre

May 6, 2002
Helmond.nl
www.superteam.tk
Yeah, the first thing I noticed was the bad charactermodels.. my god, only for bargainbin price is this acceptable...
but I'm not sure which engine they are using for this new entry..

Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive - President
Aug 9, 2004
www.tripwireinteractive.com
I may a bit biased, but I'd say the ROHOS characters look better than a lot of our competitors in game characters (in-game, not the cutscene characters they always use for PR shots). Take a look at this BIAHH vs ROHOS comparison (same engine):

BIAHH:

fall_in_hd.jpg

ROHOS:

Basement_Tactical.jpg

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I like the look of your models, Ramm, and I think the main thing that makes them look bad (or 'worse', I should say. they don't look bad at all) is the post processing! The soft glow in places that gives the whole game this typical "UnrealEngine3-look" doesn't do their faces any favors. It's not all too hot on the environment either, in my personal opinion, but people have come to expect and accept it there. So if you want to go for the wow effect with the overdone post-processing instead of the more down-to-earth look that's your choice, really (a good example of what I mean are D!rt and Richard Burns. D!rt wows people with its special effects but doesn't look realistic at all. Richard Burns, although it's technically rather low quality, looks much more realistic. Photo-realistic even, if you don't look at it from up close).
It's really detrimental to the faces though. It makes them look older and less human.

Try to tone it down a good bit and see if it (the faces in particular) looks better then. The base model and skin seems to be very good.

Other things: I'm no expert on war equipment like some folks at the RO forums to my eyes the boots look too grainy. If they were less grainy but about as shiny as they are now they might look better too. The ones the soldier in the back is wearing look better to me because due to the distance the graininess is less pronounced. If it's supposed to be dirt, that's fine then but it should look a bit more like dirt then, rather than seemingly arbitrary grain. The helmets should be less shiny too.
I don't know how shadows are done on your models. Can they self-shadow? If yes, why doesn't the helmet cast a shadow? Can the helmets be shot off? If not you could have your art-team paint some fake shadows of the helmet on the foreheads of the soldiers. It would certainly help the 1st screenshot up there.

In short: post processing is nice and dandy but in my personal uneducated opinion it makes your environments and models look worse at the moment. They seem to look rather fantastic but the "Gears knockoff" look takes a lot away from it all.

Haha, everyone's a critic, right?:lol: Don't take me too serious.

Last edited:

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
u mean the red ones that explode when u shoot them and that are scattered all over the game world, just waiting to be shot? :>

anyway, the bad gfx may also be based on the bad lighting in the maps. everything looks like they didnt even click "render" in the editor at all. note that nothing except the characters themselves is casting shadows anywhere. the wall is also looking somewhat flat.

Dest

DA Team
Oct 6, 2004
bikini bottom tbh!
I agree with murphy, the faces don't look as sharp as the uniforms, which do look very sharp!..

anyway, the bad gfx may also be based on the bad lighting in the maps. everything looks like they didnt even click "render" in the editor at all. note that nothing except the characters themselves is casting shadows anywhere. the wall is also looking somewhat flat.

The walls seem to be all static meshes and they're not really good at casting sharp shadows. Only player shadows are projected on all surfaces. Compare it to Gears of War, same story. http://www.megatonik.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/gears-of-war-assault2.jpg

Last edited:

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
I may a bit biased, but I'd say the ROHOS characters look better than a lot of our competitors in game characters (in-game, not the cutscene characters they always use for PR shots). Take a look at this BIAHH vs ROHOS comparison (same engine):

Our BiA:HH characters were the same for in-game and cut-scene. You did however pick one of the most unflattering BiA screenshots to make your comparison, not to mention you're comparing a German character model to an American character model in a level that uses a much different lighting scheme than the rest of the game for performance reasons.

Here's a few screens that are a little better if you want to compare.

http://blog.al.com/techcetera/2008/10/german_maneuver_hd.jpg
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/76037/Brothers-In-Arms-Hells-Highway/

Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive - President
Aug 9, 2004
www.tripwireinteractive.com
Our BiA:HH characters were the same for in-game and cut-scene. You did however pick one of the most unflattering BiA screenshots to make your comparison, not to mention you're comparing a German character model to an American character model in a level that uses a much different lighting scheme than the rest of the game for performance reasons.

Here's a few screens that are a little better if you want to compare.

http://blog.al.com/techcetera/2008/10/german_maneuver_hd.jpg
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/76037/Brothers-In-Arms-Hells-Highway/

Tom, wasn't meaning to slag you guys. I really like BIAHH. The point wasn't to say that you characters were bad, just that I thought ours were on the same level ;) We don't have any Americans in our game so I couldn't do a comparison like that. But for an apples to apples comparison:

BIAHH German Characters:

german_maneuver_hd.jpg

ROHOS German Characters:

leninhead.jpg

BIA had some really nice self shadowing on the players that is really nice. Which model actually looks nicer is for the fans to decide ;) I think they both look good.

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Tom, wasn't meaning to slag you guys. I really like BIAHH. The point wasn't to say that you characters were bad, just that I thought ours were on the same level ;) We don't have any Americans in our game so I couldn't do a comparison like that.

Oh I know, it's all good. I was just pointing out a few screens that would make for a better comparison. :)