A tip for all of you having troubles with UT!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Asswipe!!

Dec 14, 1999
Visit site
I hate to say this but if you have any troubles with UT and other games there is one thing that always works...

REINSTALL WINDOWS!!!

Using a fresh installment seems to solve any trouble you might have...

Believe me it has worked for me every time...

Anyone disagree??

Dayv

I have tried reinstalling but i still get the same errors. there are lots of ways to do this though. For instance I refomated then insatlled windows and my main progs. I havent tried reinstalling over top of windows or refomating then reinstaling windows with only the needed drivers. How did you do it? Still i get wierd errors that i havent heard of anyone else having, and nobody has been able to offer any sugestions. Maybe im just special :)

blueprint

Dec 17, 1999
Visit site
i agree. but i suggest the following :

- do a CLEAN INSTALL. i.e. install in a new directory...forget all your previous settings.

- remove all cards ..modems..sound..etc, except for your video. Then install. now add back your cards, one at a time, rebooting after you install each card. windows will thank you, and so will unreal. now play to your hearts content.

i was having alot of general proctection problems, couldnt even play the game for some time, and this solved it. A CLEAN, STEP BY STEP install.

i rememeber reading all the advice about disabling all kinds of things in my bios, making all sorts of tweaks...non of it worked. ( i have a voodoo 3 on an AMD k6-400) a CLEAN INSTALL, DEVICES and all, worked.

Good Luck!

Emporer3D

Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
oh come on....are you telling me that the only way to get this peice of garbage game to work on one of the fastest computers today is by disassembling your whole computer??? NO WAY! I built my entire computer and I almost REFUSE to take it all apart again and reinstall EVERYTHING just to make this worthless, poorly tested game! ha! no way! I should write to the stupid company and tell them to make the game work before they start selling it! All they cared about was the money....good thing I didn't pay for it!

blueprint

Dec 17, 1999
Visit site
let me clarify...what i'm suggesting is that if you are having all these problems, your system is already messed up from adding device after device, installing drivers, unintalling this, installing that. i'm suggesting just take what components you have now, and do a nice clean install with what you have. if you're having problems its not the game its your system. most likely drivers or corruption. CUT YOUR LOSSES and just do a CLEAN INSTALL..the FIRST one you've ever done...device by device, one at a time..reseat your memory.. windows will like it. UT will like it. you will FINALLY HAVE A PROPERLY CONFIGURED AND CLEAN SYSTEM. you're right...you should not have to do this....but i bet most people have made so many changes to their system since they first got it, that its not very stable..especially when to use system intensive software like 3d games.

Plex

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
I understand what you are saying about a clean install, but what the dude above is saying and what I am saying is that we have built and maintained our systems from the start with the best parts, latest patches, upgrades, drivers, etc. They are clean top-of-the-line systems. Quake3 Arena, Tribes, Half-Life, etc. all run perfect right out of the box with no problems at all. We should not have to "gut" our systems just to make UT run. That is silly. If you have any known fixes we can try, we are all ears. I'd love to be able to play this game, but not enough to destroy my current setup which gives me no problems on anything else.

Bmx

Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
My game has worked like a charm both with v2 and GeForce ...makes ya wonder how ya built ya puter /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif J/K

ive heard ppl having probs with UT but for me and 2 of my friends it works just great..without the latest hardware and stuff..
You should get it to run without reinstalling everything /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

but then again a format is good for yer puter ...i format like once a month hehe /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Hope it works out for ya guys /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
I agree with those of you recommending reinstalling windows to fix problems. It may or may not be the answer but it is a very logical step in the chain of efforts to "do a problem solve". I firmly believe that windows setup may very well run completely through, and yet there will still be corrupt files installed. If you are hesitant about doing the "big reinstall" that Blueprint wrote about (his method IS the best, btw, for setting up a new machine), at least try to rerun windows setup once, on top of your existing installation to perhaps fix some problems.

Dayv

Ill try the clean install like blueprint sais. I have the same system blueprint has so maybe it will work for me. It may seem like alot to do to get one game working but I have a lan party coming up on jan 15 and if I dont want to miss out. I have to get this game working. Besides this game just rocks!

DoubleKill

Dec 18, 1999
Visit site
hi dayv,
before re-installing win9x i suggest u reinstall directx and your vga-driver first!
i've had problems running ut, too.
after re-installing dx7 and the corresponding vga driver (v3 1.03.04 in my case) ut runs perfectly well.
in case u've got a v3 card make sure to use the appropriate v3 driver with the very dx version u're using. what i'm driving at is this:
if u're using dx6.x DO NOT use 3dfx latest v3 driver version 1.03.04, coz this one is optimized for dx7! make sure u use the driver version before 1.03.04 (was 2.xxx forgot)
if u are, however, using dx7 u MUST use 1.03.04 or otherwise ut may not start (can only speak for my system!)

good luck

DoubleKill

Dec 18, 1999
Visit site
one last word concerning RE-INSTALLING WIN9.X

i do not entirely agree that a new installation is the only way to solve problems.

very often your registry is the pain-in-the *** .

if u have use norton's windoctor to look for and repair windows software probs. and even better: export a copy of your entire registry (only from a perfect system of course).

a couple of days ago uncle bill's blue screen was some sort of replacement for my regular screensaver - guess u know what i'm talking about, and all i did was re-importing (i.e. running) that exported reg-file to make my sys work fine again!

of course all our system differ quite a lot and i'm not saying this is the one-and-only solution but give it a try before reformating your hdd. and reformating would be inevitable since re-installing does not really help much, coz win will be using the same crapy reg-entrys as before!

ArMaGeDDoN

Dec 18, 1999
members.home.net
AW has a good idea but if you use your computer for things other than game play you might want to try this instead. I agree that a fresh install of your OS will almost always cure a lot of problems but can be costly in time and data lost. For about $30 - $40 you can pick up a copy of "Partition Magic". I recommend you partition your drive into several smaller "virtual" drives and install your games to the extra drives created.(I have about 20 gigs between 2 physical drives partitoned into 5 drives of about 4 gigs each.) Reserve one of those drives for a fresh install of your OS and using the "Boot Manager" program that comes with PM, boot to the fresh install when you want to play your games, reserving your original installled OS for all that other stuff you need to use for work or school. By placing your games on the virtual drives you'll be able to access them from either OS by using the same paths to install to each one. The latest PM allows you to resize and create partitions without first removing the data. (supposedly without data loss, although I'd still back-up the important stuff if I were you.) Just remember to install anything you want to be able to run from both OS's onto a drive not actually occupied by either OS as the Boot Manager will make the OS drive that is not in use invisible to the system.

bullet2.gif

ArMaGeDDoN
http://members.home.net/armageddon1/

Dayv

Ok I tried to reformat and do a clean install one card at a time. But it didnt work. I loaded the mobo drivers, vid card, sound card and modem but it still crashed. I think ive done all I can now. So i loaded my old config back. Ill just have to wait untill epic comes up with aa new patch. Looks like ill be stuck with just Quake at the lan party.

If anyone would like to trouble shoot here's my system

Tyan Trinity Atx board
AMDk6-2 350
64meg ram (soon to be 192)
V3 3000
Monster sound MX300
USR Gaming modem
WD 13.6 expert drive
WD 6.4 cavalier drive
HP 7200 CDRW
and a cheap 36x cd rom

Unseen Killah

Dec 19, 1999
gohome.com
K well i got the guy who built my system to do a clean install and it took him like 8 hours.So, ive got 2 words for you: NO WAY!!!.
stupid game never works and it says in the release notes that i should have the res ste at 420x___ yeah right it will be so bad.unreal was buggy and so is UT. HEY GT ITS CALLED DEBUGGING.

grav.2k

Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
haha!!
sounds like a joke to me. are you ok boy? i am NOT, repeat, NOT going to uninstall and format everything just to get that ****ing piece of crap working! Unreal Tournament is nothing more that Unreal with the patches and some modified weapons! i have been so stupid to actually BUY BOTH games, this was a mistake! UT is even more crap the Unreal, both are untested public beta verisons of a game not coded well! UT takes WAY to long for loading and it is unstable as hell! the netcode hasnt been improved quite a bit, netgaming is actually not possible (cable+60ms server = self kill with enforcer...).
bah i am not going to explain what makes UT ****ty, fact is that it could be a lot of fun if maintained correctly. but as in unreal, it isnt done yet, and only some overpowered bots with AI dont make a game worth 50 bucks.
shame on epic again.

Dayv

Well for me refomatting and reistalling is no big deal i have 2 hard drives and norton ghost as well so if it doesnt work (witch it didnt) I just reload my old settings. As for the game it was free through my club. I just want to get it working so i can play at the lan party coming up. I agree with you though UT is buggy is always been buggy. I wish they would get it right. Its a great game,if I could play it. I get a critical error trying to load the game and sometimes when switching maps. Needless to say I dont get to play much. :-(

blindrocket

Dec 11, 1999
welcome.to
That is so CRAZY!? I totally believe you guys...but that is NOT the way UT runs for me! It is awesome! IMHO MUCH better than Quake III, IMHO again, dont kill me. It did take FOREVER to load up, but after I disabled the intro movie, it starts up lickity-split. Now, there SHOULD of been an easier way to disable the intro, not that it was hard, just that there should of been a way IN the game to do it....like a button to hit. ANYWAY, I don't get errors at all, or anything...and Ive played it online, many times over LAN, and many more times single play.

Here is my setup that seems to work:

PII 350
64 megs of RAM
Voodoo 3 3000
Yamaha soundcard
Diamond SupraExpress external 56k USB modem

That is just FYI.

Oh, the only other thing I did was set the games cache size to 16 megs.

Hope you guys get it to work! It IS a great game!

headermatrix3.gif

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

blindrocket

[This message has been edited by blindrocket (edited 12-23-1999).]

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
Everyone that is having problems should e-mail epic at .....utbugs402@epicgames.com and complain about the problems that they are
having. If they see there is a problem they will be more likely to respond.

bullet2.gif

Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?-Galatians 4:16

blindrocket

Dec 11, 1999
welcome.to
Heh heh, on my system specs I posted earlier...well, they've changed...

My wonderful, beautful, most precious girlfriend bought me 64 more megs of ram for an early christmas present today...SO NOW...I have 128 megs, my UT cache size set to 32, all details set to high...and this game FREAKING ROCKS!!! It goes sooo smooth and looks beautiful. I really hope everyone gets their problems fixed because it really is a great game.