UT 2004 Steam version won't launch

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

M1ffot

Jan 9, 2010
I have recently purchased the Unreal pack from the Steam Store and downloaded UT2004 and tried launching the game.
The action failed after the message "Launching game" disappeared but the process in the task manager was still there so I had to manually end it.
I tried all possible solutions posted in the Knowledge base and nothing worked until I tried shutting down the network and my Panda Global Protection 2009 and starting up the game in offline mode, which worked. Then I turned the network on and came to the conclusion that while Panda 2009 is turned on the game does not start no matter what I do and I do not wish to turn off the protection every time I want to play it, especially online.

I am running fully updated Windows Vista Home Prem x64 and I am sure that all necessary drivers are up to date and that the problem is with Panda Global Protection 2009.

What can be done about this? I do not like the idea of paying for a game I cannot start. Please advise!

M1ffot

Jan 9, 2010
It's not that antivirus is blocking access to internet. The game does not start at all while Panda 2009 is running. And of course the game has been added to the exclusion list.