Deus Ex 2 demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
I'll point out that the demo should already be available. But due to a glitch in EZ Pad software, it's delayed untill tommorow or early next week. So you can blame Fileplanet for not playing Deux Ex 2 right now.

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
It is out. Fileplanet exclusive for now (free membership included). There's still like 10 free spot on dedicated Deus Ex demo server.

And I'm stuck on a PC not good enough to play it for the weekend :hmm:

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Oh. My. God.

That game SUCKS! I can't believe it but, after all the hype, the graphics look like ass! Maybe it's just that I'm fresh out of Max Payne 2, but Deus Ex 2 looks like Quake 1! And even after all this time, the character models still suffer from Half-Life's "talking head" syndrome. It looks nothing like any of the early screenshots. All I can figure is that they must've crappified it for the Xbox version. The end result is this...

528588_20031121_screen001.jpg

Yes, it actually looks that bad. And that's with max texture and model detail too.

What's even more surprising is, despite how it looks, it runs like a slug even on my almost-top-of-the-line rig. No AA. No AF. And still I get an average of about 20 fps with godawful mouse lag.

I guess I can scratch DX2 off my holiday shopping list...

-Keiichi

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
*drool* Deus Ex 2 looks like it’s going to be awesome, although I’m annoyed that they decided to stick with not having a female player option. They were originally going to have that in the first one, which is why the hero was ambiguously named “JC” instead of having an actual first name, and why the character’s in-engine identifier is “JCDentonMale” rather than simply “JCDenton”.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
I am afraid it gets a big ol' "meh" from me as well.

The grahpics aren't that great, save some lighting effects. The ragdoll physics are just silly, as the wig out everytime you kill someone or shoot a dead body

As far as the gameplay and story line goes, I suppose it seems alright...hard to tell in a demo though.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
SaraP said:
*drool* Deus Ex 2 looks like it’s going to be awesome, although I’m annoyed that they decided to stick with not having a female player option. They were originally going to have that in the first one, which is why the hero was ambiguously named “JC” instead of having an actual first name, and why the character’s in-engine identifier is “JCDentonMale” rather than simply “JCDenton”.
Whaaa?! I hadn't heard a THING about the female option for Deus Ex 2 being scrapped!!! When did this happen!? It seems like it was only a month ago that I saw a poll in the eidos official forums asking people whether they'd be a male or a female...

On the topic of the quality of the demo, I'm afraid you guys aren't the only ones with these opinions...
http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29

And I just can't believe Keiichi's screenshot. Please please PLEASE tell me you brushed the **** out of the picture in PS or something.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
Sorry guys, this thing IS going to kick ass. That is a bad screenshot, I don't know how you produced a screen that looks that bad. As for performance, maybe you guys forgot but when the first Deus Ex shipped, there wasn't a computer on Earth that could run the damn thing! I'm not worried about it.

So far the gameplay feels about the same as the first, however it feels a bit off because they are cramming a whole bunch of **** into the level in order to give you a feel for what would be available in the full game -- this is by no means a level as it would be in the game. Also, lets not forget that Deus Ex is a STORY -- there's no story here, it's a demo. Once we get the story in the game and you start getting into it, this game is going to be amazing.

You guys are way too critical of this demo, from what I've seen in the demo it's obvious to me that the game itself will be really great.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Jesus Christ, will you people do a bit of research (playing the game would be a good start) before you start griping about features that are "missing"? You can select a female in the demo. In fact, the first character in the selection screen is the female.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
rgreene said:
When the first Deus Ex shipped, there wasn't a computer on Earth that could run the damn thing!
Ran just fine with my system; I had a Voodoo :p.

I don't think the game will "suck" so far... I just wasn't anywhere near as impressed by this demo as I was the original Deux Ex demo (which led me to buy the full game later that same day). I also don't care for the new HUD, but I guess I could get used to it.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
well it's not that bad. The whole thing is a bit too console oriented but it's no big deal. And it runs pretty well! The only MAJOR problem I have with it is the INCREDIBLE mouse lag! If anybody else has this problem, please help me :p
oh, that and the characters are a bit too dark compared to the rest of the scenery