FragBU: Friday 11/4 and Saturday 11/5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
You don't have to download them all ahead of time; what you can do is download them as you play. Although, with dial-up, if the map is too big the match might end before you finish downloading.

Maybe you could try downloading a few at a time overnight?

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Yeah, but if my parents accidentally pick up the phone + v.92 modem = death = none of the map mirrors support download managers = start over downloading = never finish downloading a map over 5 megs, even overnight, as my parents LOVE using the phone whatever the current time is.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I remember one time back in Irvine, my roommate and I (we were both geeks) decided to test out how well my modem and dial-up ISP would handle accidental picking-up of the phone. (We usually connected to the internet through the campus network, but we really wanted to try this.) So I connected to the internet, started downloading a file. I picked up the phone and yelled into it, then muted the phone so we could hear what happened without putting any noise into the line. We were able to hear the modem making sounds of re-negotiating, and after that I looked at the computer and it kept right on downloading. I suppose if you put noise into the line for long periods of time the connection would eventually drop for good. :p

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Not sure either... I've got a crapload of work due next week, and the following weekend isn't going to give me a ton of free time... So I figure I'll be a little pro-active and get some stuff done.

Nothing like spending your weekend doing a partial implementation of OpenGL...