CTF-Raid - User Review

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Descore

Frag victim
Nov 21, 2001
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
I had to remove some of the screenshots because BU forums impose a stupid limit on # of images

CTF-Raid is the latest map by Hourences, and the second I have reviewed. As always, I would very much like to hear your comments to this review, either here or at descore9982@infowares.com

Unfortunately I have only got a download link to FilePlanet: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetunreal/phalanx/ctf-raid.zip - If / when it is posted to Nalicity I will remove the FP link and post the NC one instead. Boycot FP, PU, and GSI, they are destroying your community! - Well, enough politics, on to the review :)

This symmetrical CTF is set in an heavy industrial environment, with two large courtyards separated by a bridge in the centre of the map. At the end of each courtyard are the main entrances to the base buildings.

Shot0002.jpg

The courtyard

Architecture is quite inspired, with many nice elements and attention to detail throughout the level. Also I came across no misaligned textures or other design errors.

The floorplan of this map is simply excellent. There are many routes leading to and from each flagbase, and the layout provides good flow for both attackers and defenders.

Shot0011.jpg

Overhead shortcut to the flagbase

In the courtyard you have the choice of four entrances to the base, each taking you a different path to the flag. Apart from the main gate, there is one on each side at the raised embankment, and a tunnel through the basement.

Shot0009.jpg

Entrance to basement tunnel

The bases themselves are both well laid-out and beautifully decorated, adhering to the industrial theme of this map. The flagroom has a number of entrances, but still avoids being too open and has good defense points.

Shot0007.jpg

Red flagroom

Lighting is an integral part of the atmosphere in CTF-Raid. Obviously, Hourences has taken much care to put enough work into the lighting to make it both realistic, functional, and atmosphere enhancing, even though the readme states that the lighting sucks.

Shot0012.jpg

The lighting is well-crafted throughout the map

Sounds are used several places in the map, not only adding to the atmosphere, but also enhancing gameplay by alerting the opposing team to your presence at several locations - the plants in the courtyart rustle when you walk through them, waterpuddles splash, and computers beep.

Shot0010.jpg

Splashing from the water puddles alert the enemy to your presence in the basement

Item placement is well done, things are located where they make sense, and the map features a few surprises to reward the curious explorer. You'll find the basic weapons, health packs, vials, and armor, but the powerups, except for the shield belt, are left out.

The bots are playing well: They use all the different routes to the flags (although they do use some more than others), find the pick-ups, and defend properly, using Distance View Triggers and sniper points. They also use the translocator in a few places.

All in all, this is an extremely cool hardcore CTF map. It is fun to play even with bots (as MultiCTF), but I suspect it will be even better online. Definitely one of the best maps to come out lately. The only negative point about it is that the polycount is a bit high at times, outside in the courtyard especially, so with my ageing PC you quickly learn to exit the base walking sideways to avoid the framerate dropping down all the way :) But I doubt this will be a big issue on faster PC's, and in most of the map the polycount stays around 150 or less.

Score: 8.5/10 - This map 0wnz!

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
I must say Hourences this is an Excellent map. I found bot play odd, but textures had some interesting twists. I thought the name of that MyLevel Brick texture was a little odd, but the skybox was nice. There were some misalignments. I thought the Layout was flawless. This map plays really well with 14 i thought. Very fun, should be played online :D What else can i say? I liked the HorseFlys no one uses those :) um...The black elevator was annoying :/ and... well, it's a solid map :) very nice ! why didn't I know about it from the showcase forum? u should advertise :)

oh, the thing i didn't like was item placement, but the Architecture was a 10/10 :D :D

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by Descore
I had to remove some of the screenshots because BU forums impose a stupid limit on # of images

There's a limit of 10 pics. Get rid of the smilies and you'll be able to post 10 screenshots. I think checking the "Disable Smilies in This Post" box prevents smilies from being turned into images.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
very nice work hourences, gonna try to get this one on a couple servers and will haveta review it myself soon...
good job on the review descore :)

Freakish

Speed Addict
Dec 23, 2001
Visit site
so..where are the easter eggs? if the armor is an easter egg, then I've found 2/3. Otherwise I've got nuttin..any hints hourences??

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
some trigger msges behind the invis. collision hull outside, but the readme is incorrect about that, read me says you can reach 2 from the 3 normaly or something, wich isnt anymore, actually nothing special or something, just simple stuff

Horton'sWho

www.unrealplayground.com
Dec 20, 2001
www.unreal playground.com
Play RAID online NOW

CTF-Raid (roXors!!!) Is up in rotation this week at the www.stealthdp.com
game server. If you haven't had a chance to play it online yet, it's one of 32 in rotation until late friday/early Saturday; many are new or very recent.

Recently NC's Squirrelinabox' CTF-Boomerang was included and is up for vote again for next week's rotation.