56k online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
HEYYYYYY!!!

I solved my INF online problem! If I load up starcraft and enter game, then shutdown Starcraft, I can play INF perfectly. I don't lag at all as long as i boot up Starcraft. It really weird but i was testing it all night, but it really works. Might not work for anyone else, but in happy.

Originally posted by /=-
I will get DSL if you care to pay the extra $50 a month for me. Otherwise STFU not everyone is a rich b@sterd like you and can afford DSL without giving it another thought.

I am not rich, and I actually don't have DSL myself. I meant more from a technical perspective than anything else -- the technology can give you as much as 6MBPS on a standard phone line.

Overon

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
You cannot have 600% packet loss. You see 100% means total packet loss, all the packets are lost. 600% means 6 times the whole. Which makes no sense. :p

Yes you can lead your target but it's not as easy if they are moving left to right and as you lead them when they are going left and then they move right you have to lead them right and then they go left and by that time they saw you and killed you.

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
last night in gamblexx i had a weird bug, its was like if i was attached to a elastic rope, i walked 2 metters and suddenly go back, and couldnt do anything else. so i looked F6. ping 256 PL 589% so yes, u can get that

Vampeero

Also known as Piezo
Jul 16, 2000
Where's LAW at?

He always plays with a ping in the 300-500 range and does really well.

Not that he has ever killed me....and that when he killed me I got embarased because I was on DSL.

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by -=WeeD=-Ramon
last night in gamblexx i had a weird bug, its was like if i was attached to a elastic rope, i walked 2 metters and suddenly go back, and couldnt do anything else. so i looked F6. ping 256 PL 589% so yes, u can get that
Lemme guess were you playing Kazakastan? That happens a lot to me in that map at the begining of a match.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
LotekK, either try the troubleshooting section, or ask Hub. He started with similar issues. With this thread in the general section, people will tend to talk about 56k modems and other stuff, but not too likely to get help.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Originally posted by /=-

Lemme guess were you playing Kazakastan? That happens a lot to me in that map at the begining of a match.

Its not map specific, its a server issue. I've seen it many a time in UT. Its weird, and normally makes the server unplayable.

Oh, and the weirdest thing is when it happens when your in mid air. You just hang in the air matrix style :)

Last edited:

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Hehe...speaking of weird ploss readings, I literally got one of 984 or something around there once, for a brief second. And, when I first joined a server, stat net showed my ping as -32767 or something :p

"Your an LPB, your opinion on how a 56K plays today means nothing. "

Um...sure it does. I didn't >only< play Unreal 1 with my 56k...I played UT too...didn't have much trouble with it.
Also, I've played on many foreign servers where my ping is as high as a 56kers ping...and I usually play about the same once I remember to start compensating :)

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
kuroshio: yeah, i was wondering if that's what you were thinking, but i figured i'd give you the benefit of the doubt... :D

stormcaller: thanks, i'll mess around on the servers a bit more as well... :p

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
Its not map specific, its a server issue

you have reason, it sometimes happens to me in larger maps, but is much noticeable in smallers ones (siberia is a pain oof titanics size into my a$$...) so, i think is just a problem of mine. im going to upgrade my comp, when i get money for work :rolleyes: or maybe ill do like with the Gforce3, ill steal a new computer from somewhere

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Its not your machine, when the weird rubber band type effect kicks in it effects everyone on the server at the same time. At least thats how it works in UT, I would guess its the same bug in INF, it sure feels like it is.

Hannibal1

Forever sig-less
Jun 14, 2000
Visit site
I play on a US Robotics 56k internal with AOL as my ISP(don't hit me for admiting that) and while the delay between tapping the mouse button and actually firing is at least a second, I can still play reasonably well(anyone want to back me up on that?). Not many have it worse than me(I've had lag spikes as high as 50,000) and still I find playing Inf online to be a fun diversion.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
yeah i used to have AOL. (emphasis on USED TO) I can play fine now. i have a .8 - 1.2 second lag time but in getting used to dealing with it, shot earily.