Drive the cars...duh

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Magnar Lenes

Oct 20, 2000
On the next beta..wouldnt it be cool if you could drive the cars..i mean..one person drives the car while the other is shooting with the gun on top

(posten this on the other forum to..by a mistake)

nuke345

Jun 6, 2000
hehehe... newbies are funny

Next time, before you come up with a mapping/coding idea, make sure you know what coders/mappers are capable of. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

camper.gif
BOOYAH!
plasmawhore.gif

T101

Mar 15, 2000
Visit site
You make it sound as if it cannot be done. Check out http://heavymetal.unrealism.com for some new insights. (actually, my site)

Being 'in the know' on vehicle support, I can also tell you that there about a dozen mods are planning using my stuff for vehicles.

I'm not going to give you the full list, but I can tell you that the last time there was any content on the AgentX site, they said they were going to use my package.

Also, Strike Force and Assassination seem to be working on vehicles. In the past, before I let the world know about my stuff, I think I read in an interview that SF had working vehicle code, but so far, they failed to deliver.

Finally, with regard to Inf, check the roadmap. It says nothing about vehicles - well maybe someday it will, who knows.

Earth, Soul, Rock 'n Roll

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
It's hard enough trying to hit something while running. Imagine trying to hit something while going at 30mph. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

It is impossible for the glass to be half full or half empty for you see: there is no glass

E

element

C'mon most peoples machines can barely handle the poly counts on the maps and the cpu overhead of this mod as it is, adding moving vehicles would make it worse.

Maybe when everyone is running 1.5ghz+ machines and the unreal engine is redone for higher polys, or a new engine is out in it's place.

-------------------------
Which button to call in an air strike?

T101

Mar 15, 2000
Visit site
That Extreme Prejudice map is big enough I'd say.

With regard to poly counts, you're right of course, frame rates DO suffer, but I think it should be for a mapper to decide whether or not to put vehicles in, because the mapper has the most influence on poly count, and therefore knows.

The influence of drivables does not have to be so big: if you put just one or two vehicles in, you still get a reasonable performance, and since Inf is a tactical game anyway, it wouldn't make sense to put a large number of vehicles in anyway. (Well, not until there are a few hundred bots running around the level)

When looking at FPS games in general, these always tend to push the hardware, resulting in people upgrading. This is annoying for people who have fairly recent machines, that turn out not be quite up to the job I admit, but it is reality, and it has been for the last decade.

So when you put vehicle support in, it's with an eye on the future - even though I think many systems from say two years ago will handle vehicles without much trouble.

Vehicle support is a topic that pops up regularly on these forums, and I think there is a consensus among regulars that it would be nice to have the option

Farrell

Oct 19, 2000
vehicles...

personally, I don't think the INF team should bother even thinking about vehicles as anything other then scenery.

So driving a hummer around is cool. In combat though? I don't think that thing's bullet proof... You drive up, the other team peppers your vehicle w/ their M16's and AKSMU's, everyone in it is wounded or killed. The wounded driver falls out and gets shot to peices. Then the Hummer just sits there for the rest of the game.

no no, I much prefer stalking from cover to cover and advancing on the enemy.

The alternative would be APC's. but hey, I don't think thats where this game is going. Map's just aren't big enough to make vehicles a good idea. The premise of most levels seems to be that you just GOT OUT of a vehicle and are now going in for man to man combat.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
t101

can you stick 2 vehicles together, so for instance could you have a landing deck for a helocopter on a ship and will doors open for the vehilcles, like a garage door.

Lord Bunker
Ruler of The Bunkvanian Empire
"You can't shoot what you can't find"

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
why is everybody always so anti-vehicle?
bla bla bla lag bla bla bla no tk's will run down teammates bla bla bla bull****...
i say YES to vehicles... i'd really love to take those hummers on extreme predjudice out for a spin, as for getting hot while in/on the vehicle... so what you'll get shot anyway if you walk... a single sniper could pick you off going at the speed you walk... he'd have a tougher job hitting ppl on a fast moving car + you can use the machine gun.. always cool.

Crosshairs are for wimps /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T101

Mar 15, 2000
Visit site
With respect to putting vehicles on top of other vehicles: that _is_ part of the design. (although it might not work in all cases yet)

However, having a door triggered magically when another vehicle approaches is not likely to happen. Someone will have to activate such a door.

With respect to 'people being against vehicles', I don't think many people here have said that they did not like the idea, just that they have:

1. doubts about their use in Infiltration. I personally think that vehicles are only useful (and fair) for missions (protecting somebody moving from point A to point B) or plain old CTF. Having them available in DM would be acceptable only if it isn't too difficult to capture.
2. concerns about frame rate. (Read my earlier post about that)
3. or they just want the Inf team to concentrate on other things. Although it is probably quite simple to make the player and bot classes support drivables (haven't looked at the Inf code yet), vehicles are merely tools in supporting missions, and therefore cannot be as high-priority as gameplay elements. (now a new player model ranks lower on my list, since that is basically cosmetic)

With respect to the Hummvees being vulnerable: military versions _are_ armor-plated, so not every weapon will be able to knock out the vehicle or kill the occupants, but I really cannot say if for example the M16 would be able to penetrate that armor.
You would not use the hummer to assault, but you can use it as a mobile machinegun to reinforce your buddies.
There is another problem with the Hummvee though: you won't have much problem getting into a Hummvee without a roof. It's a lot more difficult to get into a realistic one, although the height of the vehicle may make this possible.

Well, there you have it, another mega-post. Have fun reading..

SeanWKKA

Jun 27, 2000
n
ok guys... it is very possible...

take counterstrike for example... it isn't hard to do they did it... the mod STRIKEFORCE is having it done too and they are on UT so it CAN be done with the UT engine... just gota find out how /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
the vehicles in CS suck... however the idea was good. And as far as i know the Assasination mod is quite well under way with drivable vehics for UT.

SeanWKKA

Jun 27, 2000
n
yea CS vehicles do suck!

but the Strikeforce team is getting the coders from the game Tribes2 to code their vehicles from what i've heard in the psat... maybe when they come out with the vhicles you guys could go into one of the maps with an editor or something like that and find out how htye did their vehicles... just an idea

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
u4e had beta vehicles.

T101 has anybody ever made a map with your vehicles. i think somekinda assault naval combat map with your pt boat would be pretty cool. i tried it and couldn't get the geometry to work out. it looked fine in the editor but half the boat was invisable i the game. then tried adding a playerstart to your map and found the same problem. the apc was pretty cool though.

Lord Bunker
"You can't shoot what you can't find"

ehfield7

Oct 23, 2000
Vehilces are cool, but would cause a problem. In Counter-Strike for example, people run for the vehicles in Jeepathon, and people kill memebers on their own team just to get the vehicle. Therefore, the factor of chaos, and the driving craze would have to be figured out.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
1 difference between the cs players and the Inf players... we don't hav ethat many llama's since bunnyhopping does not work in INF, so no Teamkilling idiots just to get in the jeep... also those hummers are big enough to fit most of the team in/on anyway.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i'm not sure, youd need to ask T101 about it but it looks like his mod would let you take something like the trucks in extremepredjudice and turn them into a drivable vehicle. that would be alot better than how they are now. a sniper or about anyone could still hit you through the windshield. but form should follow function. their in there so they should do something.

Lord Bunker
"only the first shot truly matters, everything else is just a waste of paint."