UT2004 - Skin - Virus-SE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think of this skin?

• :tup:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • :hmm:

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • :tdown:

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Name: Virus-SE
System Requirements: Unreal Tournament 2004 (retail version+)
Type: Skin for Cybernetic Male (original)
Author: Insomniax
Teamcolors: 2
Additional Info:
Character is not choosable for player`s character in SinglePlayer-mode.
Character cannot be chosen as teammate in SinglePlayer-mode.
The standart Cybernetic characteristics (voice,skill,etc.) are used.

Known Issues: None
Download: Skincity - 7,25 MB
Screenshot:
pic2_id2209.jpg

Virus-SE - Let`s see how Special this Edition really is:

Obviously Xan wants to surprise his adversaries with a new camoflagged version of Virus, but is this really an advanced version? Read on for the answers!

The pros:
The author has enabled an own face for each teamcolor and the teamcolors are shown on different areas on the armor (not the usual "RGB-switch trick").
The portrait is quite OK, could be a little bit bigger, but is ok and works good ingame.

The cons:
First of all the zip-file is messed up a little bit and you have to search for the right files (why are the textures zipped again in a zip file?) and the (short) bio won`t work until you rename the VirusSE.upl to VirusSE.int.
Somehow the teamcolors are not really good, they just seem to be done with a "spray-kit" and from the back you nearly have no chance to recognize them.
The filesize is blown up unnessecarily by using uncompressed (RGB8) textures, a compression to at least DXT-5 would have made this whole thing much smaller.

Words by reviewer:
All in all a nice idea, which needs some revisions. Fans of the Cybernetic models which are missing a camo bot can try it.
Really nice that the author has thought of making teamcolors and also takes advantage of the teamface option. Unfortunately I can`t give a higher score, due the (in some cases) heavy cons. Hopefully there will be a revision forcing me to give a much higher rating because I love well done camoflagged characters!

Total Score: 4/10

Last edited by a moderator:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
I checked it out and here's what I think. The packaging really put me off in the first place - were all those zips and folders necessary? A few files in there I don't even know what they're supposed to be (hastily deleted). Having the readme in anything other than a text file isn't great and I deleted it rather than reading (macro viruses, etc. are the reason I wouldn't open a word doc).

That said, the skin's actually pretty good. Ok it's only a painted camo put over Virus but it's not bad and I've seen a lot worse. Pity the way it's painted doesn't retain any of the original lighting though.

The RGB textures are a really bad idea (ok if it's highly detailed and worth it - this is not). A few of these on an ONS map will grind many a system to a halt as a result.

All in all an average skin - nothing special but some people will like it...

Total Score: 5/10

Last edited: