UT wont work for me anymore

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Riptor[Ass]

Aug 13, 2001
Visit site
Ok Here's my PC

AMD Athlon 750MHz
256MB PC100 RAM
20GB Maxtor HD
nVidia GeForce2 GTS 32MB(ELSA GLADIAC)with 12.40 Drivers
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
50x CD-ROM
Linksys NIC 10/100 (Hooked into an ADSL connection)
UT Version 436
DirectX7a
Windows98SE

My problem is this. I start unrealtournament and i have it specified so it will start in entry.unr so it displays the UT logo. If i press ESC or the console key UT will exit to the desktop. No error message will display. I get this last thing on my log file
Critical: URender::ClipBspSurf
Critical: UR

If i try and load a map directly from the map folder withought going into UT first, the map will load fine. I can spawn and so will bots then if i try and move foward it will go back to the desktop again.
Also any known problems about this concerning UTV? It all seemed to happened after i installed that mod.

I've even tried reinstalling Windows, my drivers and UT from scratch.

Last edited:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
When you installed UT the last time, did you install any other mods then?
If did, reinstall UT again and install only the bonuspacks and 4.36 patch. Try then if UT works fine for you.

What mobo and chipset do you have? If you have VIA-chipset be sure to get the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

Riptor[Ass]

Aug 13, 2001
Visit site
Thanks pretty sloppy of me to forget to mention that. I reinstalled UT and installed UT path 436 only. Still the same problem.

I have the AMD 751/756 Chipset. Latest drivers on everything. Gigabyte 7IXE mobo.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Weird problem there is.
Have you checked your Unrealtournament.log if you got an error there?
Also, it might be overheating if the sink and fan isn't properly attached to your cpu.
Get motherboard monitor to check your temps. You find it here

Riptor[Ass]

Aug 13, 2001
Visit site
I dont think its overheating. Most of my other games that are even more critical than UT are working fine. I can run UT fine. I can load up a map(from maps folder directly). I can spawn, I can fire a gun, I can die, but if i hit the keyboard boom crash exit.

Riptor[Ass]

Aug 13, 2001
Visit site
nope same keyboard as i've always had.
I wonder why whenever i touch a key it crashed. And in OpenGL mode it just freezes on the spot. Sometimes i'll get a blue screen error message if it comes up again i'll type here what it says.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
What mouse do you have?
Sometimes there are conflicts with MS Intellimouse and keyboard in UT.
I had that until I plugged my mouse to the usb port.
If you can plug your mouse to usb, try it.

Riptor[Ass]

Aug 13, 2001
Visit site
hmm

I have a regular PS/2 mouse... but listen the mouse isnt the problem... I can move the mouse around and there's no mouse programs that change the color of it or anything... Somehow its the keyboard. I tap on any key and it crashes out. I have a standard 104 keyboard, I've been using it for the longest time and never updated anything or have had any problem like this before.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I never had problem with the mouse only the keyboard and I guess it also had something to do with my binds in UT.
Other people also had this problem.

Your problem is weird and you must test all silly suggestion you got from us.
Update mousedrivers, try another keyboard, try another mouse.
Try another keyboard layout.

Is this only in UT? Have you been able to run UT before with the same system you have?

BIOS update?

Riptor[Ass]

Aug 13, 2001
Visit site
Thanks for the help, I've had the same setup for a long time. I have the latest BIOS from gigabyte. I still want to do more dangling around with the drivers on my PC. My mouse/kb drivers are all from the Windows98 CD. I did install things from a windows update and it happened shortly after. I'll try some more things and see what happens.

If i run in safe mode i can begin to load a map then i get this... can anyone make anything of it?
utprob.jpg