BSoD on UT99. Srsly.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
The BSoD presented the words MEMORY_MANAGEMENT to me at the top, and one of the STOP: messages were 0x0000001a.

This happened during a nice, relaxing game of Unreal Tournament. 1999. Not 2004, or 3. The first one. It makes no sense. Unless it's my CPU, in which I will replace it post-haste.

I'd like to let you know right now that there is a higher power somewhere trying to prevent me from enjoying anything UT related. If there isn't, it sure as heck feels like it! And not only that, it's going backwards, starting with UT3, then UT2004, then UT99. Pretty soon, Unreal 1 and Gold will both cease to run, in which my Unreal "career" will be temporarily halted.

Conspiracy theories and teen angst aside, can anyone help me with this wretched BSoD? Thanks in advance.

I need some oranges...

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Yeahhhh those two things don't help us... it'd be best to know what file caused the BSOD (it's listed near the bottom).

More likely than not it's a dead/misconfigured stick of RAM... or a crazy driver though.

Hotspot Shield?

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
The problem is, this retarded BSoD didn't bother to list any file. All I got was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and several STOP messages, one of which was 0x0000001a.

So wait, you're saying it might be one of my RAM sticks!? Well THAT defeated the purpose of me adding another one. So now I'll be back down to a crappy 512 MB RAM, which means I'll have to buy MORE along with the video card and CPU to be able to play UT3. Great.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Uhm... not necessarily.

It could also be incompatible ram or a timings issue... or like a dozen other things I'm not immediately thinking of.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Maybe it's actually UT itself. It HAS been acting rather strangely, such as the menu freaking out for no reason, where parts of it is flashing in and out of existence (hard to describe), or every single map having the Menu Theme. Something must have tripped my computer up.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Ah, that explains why it went back to normal after I turned off OldSkool and restarted the game.

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
To be sure your memory is okay, you can run memtest, you can download it for free from:
http://www.memtest.org/

Download&burn bootable ISO, boot from it, and let ir run overnight ... To be 100% sure your memory is fine let it run at least 50 passes (Yes, this will take a long time), in rare cases errors will only show up after a certain number of passes ...