Dumbass question of the week: Texture-scaling

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shagnasty

Dec 13, 1999
www.midnite-empire.de
I suspect I'm missing something "really" basic here, but:
If I want to texture a large, outdoor "wall" (let's say 512 x 1024 for example) with one concrete-like texture, what can I do to get rid of the repetitive pattern of the texture tiles? I've tried the various "Align" functions, but they don't seem to do anything all that drastic. I've tampered with different "Scales" to try and get rid of too uniform a pattern, but the texture detail just doesn't look right at higher scales. Basically, whatever I've tried, it always looks very "tiled".
Does anyone understand what I'm getting at? There's nothing on this in Wolf's Tutorials, which makes me think I'm missing a very simple function somewhere. Or is it just not possible to create large and realistic looking outdoor objects that are going to have a uniform, relatively constant outside light (think "Q2 The Edge")?

Any help greatly appreciated /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
You can start off by scaling the texture to a large format (or whatever you wanna call it). Then go to the Pan section of the properties and pick a suitable panning speed. The Up, Down, Left and Right arrows will move the texture you want it to go. Just keep moving it and resizing and you should eventually get what you're looking for.

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Trust me when I say that the only people who will notice tiling are reviewers and other mappers. As long as it's fun the players won't give a ****.

Decker

Nov 22, 1999
Dublin, Ireland
Visit site
If you're texturing more than one surface this tidbit off the UTech pages may help:

To align textures as floors (like for the ground in Pancho's hubs) AND scale them up, do this:

1. Select the polygons.
2. Do the normal "align as floor" thing.
3. In the log window, type: POLY TEXSCALE RELATIVE UU=2.0 VV=2.0

The above command scales them up by a factor of 2.0. You can scale them up or down by different amounts by plugging in different numbers, for example: POLY TEXSCALE RELATIVE U=0.5 V=0.5

If you have a super-huge outdoor area and you want even lower shadow detail than normal, you can check both the "Low Shadow Detail" and the "High Shadow Detail" options. UnrealEd recognizes this as a special combination that means "Superduperultralow shadow detail".

The same can be done with wall-aligned textures.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Decker, the idea is good but it only applies to textures that are the ground or the ceiling. If it worked on walls I'ld be saved!

lestat

Nov 29, 1999
boise,id,usa
unrealcontest.com
Thats how my old levels used to look, really
tiled, what ive started doing (although this isnt really good for cliffs, and outside) is makeing series of brushes 256 high, say I want to make a wall 1024 high, instead of making ONE 1024 high brush, I will make 4 256 high brushes stacking them on top of each other, this way, i can have control over each layer and make it a different texture,dont use big brushes unless you are sure you want the whole section to look the same, which usually produces the tile effect.

Shagnasty

Dec 13, 1999
www.midnite-empire.de
Hell! Thanks a bunch you lot. I hadn't really expected any answers (suspected it was a geuninely lame question), let alone so many /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Now, if I can just combine into one big map the 30+ little experimental maps I've made, each for testing a new technique out.....

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Two copies of UnrealEd running at the same time. Copy, paste, open next map. Repeat. Expect to crash so save often /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif