Unreal Unfinished Gametype: Kill the Cow

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
It seems we have a gametype to finish, guys.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ut03en << here are the source files exported from the February 1998 beta.

Now if just anyone could scan/quote Page 254 of the GWPress Unreal Strategy Guide for the gametype description?

It seems that the code is unfinished and won't work as is. I found out about it when checking out OldUnreal so I decided to export the original UC's (and the SacredCow skin) and post them here.

EDIT:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pop4ad << this is the CowHead icon for the inventory I just made. I can do only the simplest of stuff, but I try my best...

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I beleive I tried to make it work inside the beta itself, I made the items and all, but for some reason it froze the game when the gametype and map was loaded and I didn't try that further. I never tried porting it to final though.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Originally it was supposed to, since there is CowShrine and there should be the Sacred Cow and you are supposed to take Cow's head with you and take it to the opposite base I believe, or was it your base? Well, I forgot that would need to look at the code again but that was about it.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
================================================================
WHOOOOGA! WHOOOOOGA! WHOOOOOGA!
>>>>> STATUS UPDATE <<<<<

1. The gametype is currently being worked on! The glorious UArchitect is tweaking and finishing the code at a slow pace. He says himself though:

havent fully decided, i have a bunch of stuff on my plate so im not going to make any promises, so keep volunteering opportunities open (...) i would like to get it done of course but if i dont, its going to suck if you wait for weeks to find out :p

...so as you can see, it is still not absolutely sure that UArchitect will finish his work, but he agreed to send his updates in case he decides to abandon the project, so even if he does indeed choose to abandon, his work will be in my hands, awaiting an ambitious coder to pick up where he left off.

2. A CTF map for UT, CTF-Shadar has been ported to Unreal by yours truly in collaboration with RoninMastaFX. The purpose is currently to create a testing ground for Kill The Cow gametype and later on, the KTC version will be bundled with the gametype itself.

History is in the making.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I do not know. My instructions for UArch were Unreal v224 and up. If he chooses to port it to UT afterwards OR someone else will want to do it, I will not stop you guys. For now, let's focus on making it work in the actual environment it was planned to work in, shall we?

UArchitect

Mar 20, 2004
hello there, sorry for a lack of communication, the last few days have been less than ideal
i should be able to make some real progress for the next few weeks

im not putting an iron fist over the development of this gametype
i have a fairly good if basic idea of what the gametype is and how to make it but im totally open to ideas and suggestions on what to do and how to proceed
ill post my own ideas and suggestions as i make progress

ill exercise creative freedom as i see fit, but if i do anything you dont like delacroix, let me know ;P

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Creative Freedom is the way to go, man :)

Do as you will, as long as it's close to what all leads show as the original concept. In the strategy guide quote, it's been described as Unreal's version of Tag, people at OU compare it to GOW2's MeatFlag, I believe the code makes it look like some sort of alive-flag-CTF, but I'm no expert here. UArch, you know UnrealScript best, so I leave figuring what it should be to you. :)

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I have an obscure mod called "Beef Bowl" for UT if you guys want to look at it. Killing players spawns all kinds of small gold cow statues you collect for points.

UArchitect

Mar 20, 2004
not strictly KTC related but i was bored enough to whip up some quick alternate cow skins just in case i might need them, nothing major here but i thought some cow variation might come in handy maybe

the first two are just sharpened versions of the skin from the source files and the stock cow, followed by several variations

cowskins.jpg

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
You know, the gametype actually appears finished in that march 98 unreal code, the march unreali.u that coulnt be loaded but the code is clearly finishe for kill the cow there including the item as compared to the early versions.
There probably were even maps for it. But yea all that has survived is the unreali.u file from march 98, the full beta not.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
seems I recall a Kill The Cow mod on an old unreal game site, I cant recall the name of it or where what, but it a lot of unreal skins, mods and stuff and patches.
Maybe if I scoured the web archive, maybe its there.